Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all

So I decided to go with a 347 stroker from tristar engine but unsure about the type of transmission that should go along with it. I have a rebuilt C4 but I am looking to make a conversion to manual 5 speed. I landed in the modern driveline site and about to purchase the complete kit 4800$ but before I commit to it I would like to hear your input and feedback about the T-5z they are selling.
my mechanic warned me to stay away as my 347 will blow it u.I do not intend to drag race it however occasional burn out and drop gears etc.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
How much horsepower will your 347 make? Call MDL and get their recommendation.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much horsepower will your 347 make? Call MDL and get their recommendation.
The engine will be making 400HP and 390 torque. I called them up and they claimed the transmission should handle the torque as long as I don’t drag race it or put slicks tire but a lot of people on the mustang forum are advising against it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a C4 behind a full build 351w that I used to race. The C4 was built up to take 800 TQ. It can be done, just like with all trans, well the older ones, you have to put it together to handle what your driving and what you attend to do with the car.

You may want to take that route, see what the cost would be.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Did MDL offer an alternative transmission choice? My 302 doesn't put out the numbers that your stroker does, but I love the T5z. Modern set me up with everything and the conversion was simple. I would trust anything they told me!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
traction is the t5 killer. as long as your not on slicks doing 6k holeshots, it should survive just fine.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like my Toploader. With the additional torque of the longer stroke 347 who needs a really deep first gear? A Toploader in front of a set of 3.25's should work very nicely.
What is a top loader sorry.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ford T&C 4-speed manual. Also known as a Tremec T-170. Four forward speeds in the following ratios:
And would this handle the 347 torque? I found a company who can do it for me and I think that is the direction I am going with. Does it require any modifications for fitting. Please let me know if there is something I should be aware of

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
The car is gone. It was a 66 'stang with a 377 (stoker 351) roller cam, aluminum heads..you get the idea. I used the World Class T-5 from Summit (was new). Never broke it. Yes, with the flywheel, trans, hydraulic clutch actuator, Lakewood bell housing, mounts and all, it was a little North of $3500.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The car is gone. It was a 66 'stang with a 377 (stoker 351) roller cam, aluminum heads..you get the idea. I used the World Class T-5 from Summit (was new). Never broke it. Yes, with the flywheel, trans, hydraulic clutch actuator, Lakewood bell housing, mounts and all, it was a little North of $3500.
I am so confused now and I hear different feedback. Some say that T5-z will break with a 347 and others think otherwise.

·
Dimples
4,674 Posts
The answer is this: can the 347 break a T5? Yes.

Is it likely to break the T5 with the kind of usage that you are describing? No.

The problem is that you can get a tougher manual transmission, but it’s going to require tunnel surgery to fit it’s larger dimensions.

I say go with the T5 and enjoy.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The answer is this: can the 347 break a T5? Yes.

Is it likely to break the T5 with the kind of usage that you are describing? No.

The problem is that you can get a tougher manual transmission, but it’s going to require tunnel surgery to fit it’s larger dimensions.

I say go with the T5 and enjoy.
I am wondering to what extent is the modification to the tunnel ? Are we talking about cutting and raising it then weld a new peace of metal and do I have to replace the cross member support ? Any idea

·
Registered
766 Posts
I’m running an MDL T5z behind my 347 stroker and haven’t had any issues. It’s a great tranny. If you’re going to drive a lot, especially highway, I would definitely get the 5 speed. The .63 OD is nice. Give them a call, they will set you up with everything you need.

Reactions: Stang love

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m running an MDL T5z behind my 347 stroker and haven’t had any issues. It’s a great tranny. If you’re going to drive a lot, especially highway, I would definitely get the 5 speed. The .63 OD is nice. Give them a call, they will set you up with everything you need.
Do you do occasional burn out and hard start with clutch ?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Do you do occasional burn out and hard start with clutch ?
In general I’m not too hard on my car, but I’ve been known to light the tires up once in a while and do some short, hard blasts up the street. I don’t side-step the clutch or anything like that, but I do let her rip and chirp gears on occasion. I enjoy road racing more than drag racing, and while I do neither at the moment, my on street driving favors the former. 😇

·
Dimples
4,674 Posts
I am wondering to what extent is the modification to the tunnel ? Are we talking about cutting and raising it then weld a new peace of metal and do I have to replace the cross member support ? Any idea
Any 5 speed swap requires a new crossmember. I have a buddy that had a Tremec TKO and it required cutting the tunnel to fit it. Basically as you described.

·
Registered
20,926 Posts
This is the 4 speed Toploader @Woodchuck mentioned. It's what I put in my 66. This would be what Ford put in from the factory. Smooth shifting, great gear ratio spread and tough as nails.

·
Registered
925 Posts
This is the 4 speed Toploader @Woodchuck mentioned. It's what I put in my 66. This would be what Ford put in from the factory. Smooth shifting, great gear ratio spread and tough as nails.
Ford's Toploader (named because the internals are accessed by a plate on the top of the transmission) is really tough. It was available behind 390s, 428CJs and other big blocks, so your stroked SB won't come close to abusing it.

Reactions: Huskinhano
1 - 20 of 27 Posts