Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1977 Ford Mustang
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, it's nice to be here. I am wondering about engine swaps for a 1977 Mustang. The engine currently in my mustang is the 302 V8, and the transmission is the 3 Speed automatic. I want to swap an engine in that is more powerful, preferably around 250-300 horses. I'm just new to a lot of things, and I just need help. Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
The easiest thing to do is find a used 5.0L from a Foxbody Mustang and swap that into your car. You can also install a 351W without to much trouble.

·
Premium Member
12,717 Posts
If the 302 in your MII is the original engine it is pretty weak. In the mid 70's the US was in the midst of a gas crisis and increasing pollution restrictions from the feds. The easiest way for the auto companies to meet the emissions standards was to reduce the compression and retard the cam timing, both which killed performance. You could change your heads to some better heads with more compression like the '65/'66 289 heads and while you have the heads off change the camshaft. Your 302 would easily make 250-300 hp with those modifications.

·
Registered
36,230 Posts
I agree, if the V8 in your car is in good condition, that is, good compression and not burning oil, it should be quite easy to upgrade it to the power range you state as your goal. Merely by changing the cam and intake, and having the distributor properly recurved, you should be able to reach the upper end of your horsepower goal.

Nice to see someone with a MII here. They usually get overlooked. A growing number of replacement parts are out there, and of course they did sell well for Ford.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
LH, welcome to the board, nice to have some more M2s. Your engine doesn't NEED to be swapped, it just needs some upgrading. If you'll do a compression test and find out if its healthy, we'll help you choose better parts, and you can REALLY wake it up. Your goals are VERY achievable WITHOUT swapping engines. LSG

·
Registered
37,183 Posts
The 302 you have now isn't a BAD piece... its issues can be addressed as others have said... first, a removal of cylinder block deck material (basically a flattening of the tops of the cylinder banks) from the original 8.229 inch height to 8.200 inches. To go along with that, the installation of a piston with a compression height (distance between the piston pin and piston face) of 1.605 inches. This will bring your "quench area", the distance between the top of the piston and the face of the cylinder head down to around .035 inch with a .040 inch compressed head gasket thickness. This is within the ideal range for the ignition of pump gas without promoting detonation.

Next, depending on how you'll be using the vehicle, is the selection of a piston face type and camshaft profile that will be conducive to how you drive. You want to maintain a dynamic compression ratio that will give you the best performance for the type of fuel you want to use.... many folks want to run 87 octane pump gas and not be forced to find 92 or 93 octane "high test". Some conversations with cam grinders will help you make these choices.

The '77 and later 302 cylinder head is a real "boat anchor" with HUGE 69cc combustion chambers. They aren't worth even considering. While they may not be the optimum in aluminum heads like AFR or Twisted Wedge, the Skip White "NKB" heads in 60cc are pretty comparable, in cost, to what you'd pay to have a used set of iron heads "reconditioned" and should deliver decent performance gains over stock.

Top the engine off with a decent intake manifold, like the Weiand Stealth #8020, a Summit M2008VS500 carburetor. Now, for the exhaust. The stock exhaust manifolds just won't cut it, nor will the original single exhaust. The issues are whether you use a tube header or if cast iron manifolds will fit the chassis. If it were me, I'd try to see if either reproduction 289 "HiPo" manifolds or '69-70 351W manifolds would fit and clear stuff in the engine compartment. If so, then it would be relatively easy to have a custom "H" or "X" pipe bent and connect that to a dual exhaust system. The one "catch" is whether, by law or regulation, you need to retain catalytic converters. If so then, probably, "universal cats" can be installed.

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I can understand why the OP wants more punch from his Pony. A friend of mine is really into Mustang IIs. He built a '77 Cobra II for his son. It's all bone stock with a 302 2V auto. We recently went to Bandimere Speedway for an "All Ford" day. His son ran that Mustang II in the quarter mile a few times and it ran 19s every time. Ho-hum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts