Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all.

The Volo Auto Museum in Volo, IL (northwest of Chicago) has a new car in it's "collection". I use quotes because the collection is mostly for sale.

(They do have a rather neat collection of famous movie cars that do not seem to be for sale too - so the place is worth a trip...)

The car is a white 64.5 convertible with a blue top - the infamous #212.

Volo Auto Museum:: 1964 FORD MUSTANG - Used Inventory

They are generally considered to be a much more reputable place to buy a classic car - as as few people I know have done business with them and been happy with the results.

For those of you who do not remember, there was a rather extensive thread about this car a while back when it was being sold by the other local place:

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/567507-my-conversation-seller-5-5-million-mustang-long.html

In fact even now - this was the 3rd most replied to thread on the VMF EVER.

Volo Auto Museum is right around the corner from the place that was trying to sell it for 5.5 million dollars.

That thread was made even more hilarious when car number 211 later surfaced in a barn (just like I predicted).

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/vintage-mustang-forum/609385-05c-car-found-serial-100211-1964-5-mustang.html

#212 is still being harped as "the first Mustang ever sold" but Volo had added the caveat "to the best of our knowledge" at the beginning of their description.

I do believe there have been a few other stories recently of cars that were sold a day or two early - but I need to go back and do my research to cite one of them. Does anyone else remember hearing of other stories like this one?

But hey - it is only 1 million dollars now! I wonder if there is a waiting list to come and test drive it?

:grin:

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yeah, a $1 million dollar car should at least be concours correct (and that one certainly isn't). At best it's around $50-$75K and that's a stretch in mind.

·
Premium Member
10,954 Posts
be careful not to step in "it" if you go and look at it ! thats a pretty "DEEP" markup on the price ! i wonder how much cash 65 shelby 5R001 would bring. i was looking at the fotos and somebody did a "poor" job of bolting the front cap back on cause the all the fenders and stuff aint lined up good. you can get these cars in good uncrooked alignment. no heater controls so i guess no heater !

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Man, I get that it's a piece of automotive history, but that's crazy.

·
Registered
35,881 Posts
Hmmm…

- Radial tires
- Hump hugger console
- Seat belts (modern junk)
- Shock absorbers (blue?)
- Lower pinchwelds not blacked out
- Steering wheel in poor condition
- Muffler hanging down on RH side
- Indifferent upholstery work
- Center tab on lower grille bar not blacked out
- Spare tire cover (not original equipment)
- 65, not 64, door sill plates
- AM/FM radio, not available until very late 65
- Stainless belt weatherstrip (should be black)
- Modern battery
- "Natural" hood hinges, should be black
- #7 plug wire routed improperly
- Wrong shade of blue engine paint
- Painted valve cover bolts
- "Natural" paint on vacuum advance
- Painted brake lines
- Grille painted black

All this from a few lousy walk-around photos. Imagine if we could look underneath the car!

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Don't get me started. That 'one of one' 67 Shelby Gt 500 Convertible they had was hyped to be worth 1.2 million. Sold for about $850,000. And, it is being returned to it's 1968 Convertible protoype looks. Let's just shovel dollars into the fireplace.....

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,242 Posts
They are marketing the car as the earliest known production built convertible. So it is marketed differently than the earliest known production mustang which appears to be #211. Maybe Brian Ciriello can explain why the car is marketed differently. :)

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
The very first Mustang would be worth HUGE bucks. The second one about 10% as much. Goes downhill fast from there.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Number #211 is also for sale according to the latest MM. It was in the "news" section.

John

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

Mustang Monthly just did the article about one that sold 2 days before April 17 and she still owns the car!
#212 was owned by Larry Hurst, a good friend of mine and he often brought it into the shop for maintenance. It was his daily driver for years and has an 80's resto that was done as a driver, not a show car. Did they say the inner fender had been replaced due to an accident? It WAS the 1st mustang sold in Florida, but that was common knowledge among those of us who knew Larry. He was a WW 2 fighter pilot and a really great person. Unfortunately, we lost him right after he sold the car in the mid- $20's.
From what I got from the 5.5 mil owner, they did nothing but clean it up, which we had done for the Ford wedding. Too bad he didn't get to see all the hype over that car, as he knew well what it was.
Seems like all the hype they generated trying to scam a few bucks really backfired and has lowered the price drastically. There are a few of us in Fla that know the car and what it really is. When they responded to my emails, I don't think they were too happy, as we had the documentation & knowledge to disprove their claim.

·
1964 1/2 Convertible - 260 V8 C4 Automatic, Power Top, Console, 4 Wheel Drums
2,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes! I knew I read that somewhere recently.

So not the first mustang sold, and not the lowest VIN number sold to the public (other than #1) and not even a very good restoration.

Neat car. Probably worth a premium due to the story - but one would have to decide for themselves whether it is worth a million bucks - or even a tenth of that...

·
Registered
10,003 Posts
Am I wrong? I thought the first 65 Mustang sold to the public was now owned by the Ford Motor Company and is now on display at the Henry Ford Museum in dearborn. The car was shipped to a dealer in Canada

·
Registered
637 Posts
Am I wrong? I thought the first 65 Mustang sold to the public was now owned by the Ford Motor Company and is now on display at the Henry Ford Museum in dearborn. The car was shipped to a dealer in Canada
NO NO NO We are talking about the OTHER first Mustangs ever sold. You ruin the whole story when you say there can only be ONE first car. :)

(sarcasm, trying to be funny)

·
Administrator
13,017 Posts
No, that one is in the Mustang Museum. :pirate:
Stan

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The mystique of this Mustang (212) involves it is claimed to be the "first PRODUCTION Mustang". They claim it is the first mustang that was not a prototype. The surfacing of 211 has muddied this claim. Personally, I figure there was no hard break were line product was declared as officially a production vehicle as opposed to a prototype. I doubt that the the production process and design were static for any significant period of time and I assume that prototyping was an ongoing/constant process.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts