Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are wondering about your slightly modified vintage Mustang running in the 14 or 15 second range in the quarter this may be worth a read.

While looking for a ford tech aricle I found an old Hot Rod Mag article from 1983 introducing Edelbrocks Performer components that many of us run on our cars.
The Test in this instance was a "Stock" 1967 Camaro with small block (not very clear on displacement (327?)), auto and 3.23 rear gears. After adding performer plus cam and intake the car blistered the quarter at a best of 16.06 seconds @ 87 MPH after nine passes. Also noted "As a point of reference" the first Camaro Hot Rod tested in 1967 with a 4 speed was not this fast. [HR June 1983]

While not intending to open a Mustang -VS- any car can of worms, I admit any vehicle can be made to go as quick as you want with deep pockets, technology and skill. - BUT -

Suddenly 14's in a slightly modified Mustang with auto
in comparison to cars of the same period is actually pretty darn quick. Its all relative!

Note: for accuracy sake in the body of the article a 400 CID Small Block was mentioned as well as a Target Master (350CID) just not clear what was in test car.

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
The average smalll block was not that fast back in the "day" :)

Seriously, a stock 68 with a 289 was a high 17 second car. A 302-4v would have been low 17 seconds. Adding a cam, intake and dual exhaust would make the dramatic difference of bringing the car into the low 16's.

For comparison, a 289 hipo was mid 15's, a 390GT was mid 15's, a 66 Shelby GT350 was high 14's to low 15's.

Look at the Muscle Car Shootout on SpeedVision last week. The AMX was high 14's with a 390. The rest were all very close to 14.0 with some mighty impressive engines.

·
Premium Member
5,242 Posts
Exactly! I remember running my '67 289 coupe with a Holley 600, Offy intake and dual exhaust w/ (shudder) Thrush mufflers at 15.89 at the old Irvine Raceway in about '76 or '77 and being jazzed as hell!
Luckily, these cars (the early years, anyway) have always "felt" quicker than they really are!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, everyone seems to thing they are faster than they are anyway. In my previous mustang I ran a 15.6 with an late 70s 302, aftermarket intake, carb and headers. The 2.8 open rear end didn't help but I thought for sure I was going be a second faster. By the time I put a four speed and a 3.0 closed rear-end in the car I could hang with a stock 5.0. Didn't think that was bad for what I had at the time though.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
The 66 coupe did a 17.3 with a tired 289 C code and me in it. The cam was way retarded as the timing chain had about an inch of slack!

Most of the magazine cars in the 60's were ringers which were tuned and blueprinted within an inch of their life. They were not what you could buy on the showroom floor.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree completely. I didn't really realize how fast 14 seconds was until the first time I took my '66 to the track and managed to get into the low 15's.

I've now got it knocking on the door to the 13's, with a best time of 14.08 @ 99.6 mph. I figure once I get into the 13's, I'll be happy with my little daily driver ::

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the HR article was very truthfull in this case and focused on increased torque/gas mileage the system produces in various combos and only a short blurb about the after ET. Has Television and cubic dollar car shows (pimp that dude) warped our sense of reality or am I just locked twenty years in the past?

·
Registered
9,999 Posts
Here, when I just bought my 67 Gt 350 back in 71, I took it to the strip and ran low to middle 15's all day.
Then I put on a bigger carb, side pipes , headers, and had the heads shaved and a 3 angle valve job done.
Quickest then was 14:56, but often 14:60's to 14:90's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts