Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a happy camper! I just drove my car for the first time in about 4 years. I've been working on it in my garage putting on the new parts little-by-little over the past 2 1/2 years. Finally last week I had the car towed to road race shop to have the alignment done. I picked up the car tonight and drove it the 15 miles home. Boy what a great feeling. The car definitely needs some more work though. Here are my intial observations:

1. Needs a 5 speed bad. With 3.40 gears the 4 speed doesn't cut on the highway.

2. Damn those pipes running under the floorboards are hot. Maybe some insulation under the carpet would be a good idea.

3. Disk brakes without power assist don't make for good panic stops.

4. 5-leaf rear springs might just be too stiff for the street.

5. Doesn't want to start again after it's properly warmed up. Maybe my new Edelbrock carb isn't adjusted properly.

6. Gauge panel lights are a good thing to have at night. A functional gas gauge is nice too.

7. Be prepared to pay some $$$ to have the alignment done if you have the pro-motorsports negative wedge kit.

Despite the minor problems I'm super happy to have the car driveable (mostly). I've got a quote from Hagerty for $185 a year to insure it which I think is pretty good. Hopefully it will be legal this week.

Mike

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
5. Check your timing on the engine. I had the same problem and it turned ot my timing was too far advanced. Good luck with the car now that is on the road!

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Glad you got the car going. Mine has been off the road for
only 3 months, and I can't wait to drive it again.

The wedge kit doesn't make it harder to do the alignment. Not
sure why it would cost more. The Vario-camber kit they sell
makes the camber easier to do. The wedge kit only re-positions
the upper ball joint. It has little to do with how a alignment is
done. The shop I use charges $45, and will use any settings
I give them. Ask them why it cost more with a wedge kit and
get back to us. I would like to hear the reason.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Regarding #5, isn't it normal for that to happen? I've seen a bunch of posts about people's cars not starting after they have been running for a while, and it's normal. I believe it's because the heat increases the resistance to the starter, so it doesn't get as much power, and makes it harder for the car to start. It happens to my car too after it's nice and warm, and I checked out the posts about people having that problem. But, don't take my advice too strongly. I have very little experience with anything car related, and I could very easily be all wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts