Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Premium Member
10,006 Posts
What benefits do they offer?
Their website will provide the details. If you plan on participating in National shows, you'll need to be a member. They have a monthly news letter. I was a member for a number of years then cancelled when the "then" benefits, no longer benefitted me. To each their own.......

· Vendor
5,124 Posts
Mustang Times (club magazine) is one of the last old-school Mustang mags extant. I also strongly suggest that the MCA is far more than "what's in it for me?". Collectively it sits at the core of maintaining and preserving originality and judging standards, and access to the most knowledgeable Mustang restorers and historians extant. It's not just a purchase, it's a worthy donation to your hobby. Even if you're a huge restomodder, or a "don't care" builder, a big chunk of the Mustang community's "glue" would dissolve if ambivalence reigned, and the club foundered. I belong to a bunch of clubs that I don't have time to really participate with actively. But I'm a HUGE believer in the value and worth of clubs to the hobby and our favorite marques/models.

Ok, jumping off my soapbox! Lol 😉

Rick
NPD

· Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mustang Times (club magazine) is one of the last old-school Mustang mags extant. I also strongly suggest that the MCA is far more than "what's in it for me?". Collectively it sits at the core of maintaining and preserving originality and judging standards, and access to the most knowledgeable Mustang restorers and historians extant. It's not just a purchase, it's a worthy donation to your hobby. Even if you're a huge restomodder, or a "don't care" builder, a big chunk of the Mustang community's "glue" would dissolve if ambivalence reigned, and the club foundered. I belong to a bunch of clubs that I don't have time to really participate with actively. But I'm a HUGE believer in the value and worth of clubs to the hobby and our favorite marques/models.

Ok, jumping off my soapbox! Lol 😉

Rick
NPD
Thanks...make a lot of sense.

· Registered
47 Posts
don't forget The X-plan pricing for members when buying a new Ford. What I saved on my wife’s new Ford Explorer a couple years ago will cover my membership fees for many many decades to come…. Plus you don’t need to sit through all that “let me discuss with my sales manager BS”. Fixed price, limits to document fees and no dealer add ons…

· Registered
220 Posts
don't forget The X-plan pricing for members when buying a new Ford. What I saved on my wife’s new Ford Explorer a couple years ago will cover my membership fees for many many decades to come…. Plus you don’t need to sit through all that “let me discuss with my sales manager BS”. Fixed price, limits to document fees and no dealer add ons…
In my experience, X plan isn’t all that great. Twice, just to see where I could get, I negotiated with them and ended up below X. In both cases, I dropped a Z plan pin on them after I got the trade where I wanted it, but the X numbers weren’t any better than their “yeah, I guess we’d like to sell another car today” price.

· Registered
6,225 Posts
In my experience, X plan isn’t all that great. Twice, just to see where I could get, I negotiated with them and ended up below X. In both cases, I dropped a Z plan pin on them after I got the trade where I wanted it, but the X numbers weren’t any better than their “yeah, I guess we’d like to sell another car today” price.
I think I would find another dealer. I've bought a couple of cars on X plan and they were way less than I have found with some of the local dealers. The only down side is on my last purchase, I had to go out of state to pick it up.

· Registered
13,376 Posts
This is my experience as well. Recently dealers were asking for and getting prices way above MSRP. In that situation, a dealer would tell me and my X Plan to take a flying leap. But under normal circumstances, X Plan pricing is convenient but not really a discount over what anyone else could get. I typically get the best price working with the dealer fleet sales rep.

· Registered
220 Posts
I think I would find another dealer. I've bought a couple of cars on X plan and they were way less than I have found with some of the local dealers. The only down side is on my last purchase, I had to go out of state to pick it up.
Huh? X and A/Z aren’t negotiable. I was saying that I’ve twice been able to negotiate lower than X without a plan on the table.

I don’t think one can negotiate lower than A/Z, but there may be an example or two out there.

I think X is just a standard mid-level discount that you can get to without negotiating.

· Registered
220 Posts
This is my experience as well. Recently dealers were asking for and getting prices way above MSRP. In that situation, a dealer would tell me and my X Plan to take a flying leap. But under normal circumstances, X Plan pricing is convenient but not really a discount over what anyone else could get. I typically get the best price working with the dealer fleet sales rep.
My last one, a 19 Raptor wasn’t eligible for Z (I don’t think you can use X on them either). Had to negotiate that one old-school, but it was pre-pandemic, so negotiating was still a thing.

I had a buddy try to buy a truck last month, and they wouldn’t even run his credit without a $10k non-refundable down payment. He didn’t buy it, out of principal, but he’s now wishing he had.

· Registered
3,201 Posts
During the years I was a member attending MCA shows regularly my wife and I met a helluva lot of very nice folks.
For us the shows were more of a social event with a car show on the side.

· I won a special award
9,659 Posts

My experience as well. I bought new a 2019 F350. I wheeled and dealed getting a better deal than the X plan. Granted that was pre Covid, so not sure what deal you can get right now.

· Registered
194 Posts
Except for the Coyote Mustang, which I'm too old for, Ford isn't making anything I find interesting. I have a truck and hate it. Also an SUV. I'm looking forward to when car makers once again make cars.
I know, I know....don't hijack the thread. Sorry.

· Registered
220 Posts
Except for the Coyote Mustang, which I'm too old for, Ford isn't making anything I find interesting. I have a truck and hate it. Also an SUV. I'm looking forward to when car makers once again make cars.
I know, I know....don't hijack the thread. Sorry.
I can buy cars from makers other than “Ford’s”.

I’d just have to rent one if I planned on showing up for Thanksgiving, Christmas or a funeral… other than my own.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
My experience as well. I bought new a 2019 F350. I wheeled and dealed getting a better deal than the X plan. Granted that was pre Covid, so not sure what deal you can get right now.
It’s loosening up but for about the last year most new cars are sticker plus dealer markup. When we were shopping in July the markups were $5k to $12k. There was some wiggle room on the markup but every new car was sticker plus some sort of markup.

· Registered
194 Posts
I'll say this for the record (in case anyone's keeping records): I will NEVER pay MSRP, much less anything over it! MSRP is a wildly optimistic view of my desire for a new car. I take good care of my beaters so if I don't like the price, I can pass on the deal. Car dealers who try to gouge you when their manufacturers can't or won't make enough cars can bite me. They're the ones who give car salesmen the name they so richly deserve.

· Registered
2,762 Posts
Good for you…:rolleyes:

That’s how it is if you want a new car right now. You know, capitalism. The semiconductor shortage is getting better. Every make has thousands of cars parked waiting for parts. The backlog at the ports has gotten better. Still some parts shortages and with those and US makes being skeptical about the future production is down. It’s not some big conspiracy it’s the market doing what it does when things get scarce.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts