Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having some vacuum leak problems with the Edelbrock I installed. IT was having a hard time staying running while in gear so I assumed I was getting a vacuum leak. I got a new gasket took it out and replaced it. I used a Mr.Gasket brand and it is quite thick, unlike the paper thin one I had on before. I installed it and the car sounded SICK. I shut her off and found one of the studs had cracked in half. After an hour or so I dug it out, put a replacement in and tightened everything down. Shound better at idol but when I put her in gear she makes the sick sound and dies. I turned up the idol very high and she barely stays running while in gear. SO basically I took all day, two trips to the parts store and about 10 bucks just to make the problem worse. :: I don't know what else to do. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Edelbrock what? carb, intake, ?

Sounds like ignition or fuel.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
BTW.....you didnt hook the fuel line to the large vacuum port on the carb, did you?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uh..no. The fule line is where it's supose to be. It's and edelbrock 1405 with an electric choke sitting on an offy intake. 289 engine.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Had that same problem a year of so ago, turned out to be my points were not gapped properly. In turn that burned out the condensor. Of course, if you have electronic ignition, wouldn't apply.

J. Boggs

·
Registered
132 Posts
I had a similar problem last week. We found out, that the problem was the pertronix setup. Make a hotwire from battery+ to coil+ and see if the motor still stalls. You might have not enough voltage on the coil at idle.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm. That's very interesting I'll give that a try. Although I do have a pertronix coil installed that is less than a year old. But you never know. I'm starting to think that perhapse it's a problem with the Manifold. Perhapse it needs a new gasket.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Had exactly the same problem. I thought it was a severe vacuum leak. . .traced everything the best I could. Nothing helped. Replaced intake casket, no help, carb, no help, took it to an old timer. . .said "that my boy is a vacuum leak. Retraced all lines. . .and it was indeed a vacuum leak! Check every line, and ensure it is connected to the right spot. My car runs great!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts