Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally catching up on starting the documentation on the dry sump project. Been putting some pics here but was rather ad hoc.

Finally created a detailed project page. Lots more to post but it's a start...

http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/Ford-Dry-Sump-Project.html

Sandy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FL1 is likely a filter that would have worked great. Pre-oiler was available for them as well.

The FL1 possibly has smaller particle capture ability. Down side is flow. In a quick discussion a while back with peterson I asked smaller or larger style and they didn't give much advantage other then flow. My thinking was similar to have higher flow due to leaky nature of the aluminum engine.

Also found many anecdotal stories of quality and praise of the larger Wix type R filters with the downside of unclear micron filtering capabilities. To some it was like which brand of synthetic oil is best. Was very clear to steer clear of Fram filters (not intending to have any follow up on the Fram comment)

I have previously ran a canton mecca filter and while they seem to a good job filtering I always felt (anecdotally) they were very restrictive.

Long and short of it just giving it a try.

The comments were about R for race was a bit tongue and cheek 😉

Sandy

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Still running the Dambest carb?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Question: what does the "Wix Racing Filter (51222R) Yes the 'R' is for racing" have to offer that a FL-1A can't ?
Its probably twice as big, go look at one at the store they are huge... I use them on my track car, I wouldnt use the R filters on anything but a race vehicle.. The will free a small amount of power due to being less restrictive, but they wont filter as small of a particle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Their are a couple of filter elements used in that style of filter. The 5222R is the finer filter out of the bunch made for dirt applications. That being said no specs given.

Here is a link to the Wix racing page.

http://www.wixfilters.com/Speciality/Racing.aspx

The Peterson remote filter adapter is available in a few thread type for filters so you can use GM style, FL1 or even FL1995 Diesel filter if you want even more capacity.

Overall not worried about filtration with the 5222R in my application. The main idea was really the pre-lube capability of the remote.

Sandy

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still running the Dambest carb?
Just looked up that carb builder. Those are some expensive carburetors.
A made in China pro series race carb from Holley is in the 800 buck range and will still need to have someone go through it as they are not well tuned. The place that put my enging together was amazed how well it worked out of the box. All made in USA 🇺🇸 too.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Pro comp/speedmaster tried to make a copy of the Dambest billet body and failed miserably.
Those Dambest carbs rarely come up for sale used. I have tried to buy a few with no luck.
I believe the booster is in a different location in the Venturi than a Holley has.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dry Sump

I made the lines several years ago for a 5 stage pump in a Hydroplane. Be careful with the hose length especially from the pan to the pump. There's an order for installation and removal. The angle of fittings will also come into play. We had a low budget team and didn't have any of the fitting insertion tools and hose cutting tools that are available now. Would've made life much easier.
Take your time, you'll be glad you did.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts