Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey-
Bad day with the Mustang. Finally got a bad wire tracked down, replaced it and the Mustang was up and running flawlessly- i thought. We were driving it all over and it was starting great and seemed to have pleanty of power, but after paring it and putting the battery back into the other car I stole it out of the battery was dead. This isn't the first time this has happened. I thought for awhile it wasn't charging but I tested the Alternator and it was fine, as well as replaced the voltage regulator. I think it is charging because, like I said, after driving it it seems to have plenty of starting power until I leave it for a few hours. So, I've determined that I must have a short circuit somewhere thats drowing juice when the cars sitting there. I just can't wait to start tracking that down. I realize that you probably con't help me much without looking at the car, but if anyone has any ideas of where to start, I'd appriciate it.
Thanks,
Jon

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Jon- to find circuit that is drawing current hook up an ammeter in series with battery cable and note very little current - less than 10 milliamps or zero. if you see more then start pulling fuzes until you get low current and that is you problem. if alt or VR or some other unfuzed (circuit breaker protected ones)circuit is causing problem it takes a little more looking. PM me if you need more help like hooking up ammeter etc..you can leae ign key out to do this since that is when your battery is being discharged.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Billscott has some great ideas on running down a short. But, I would also double check the voltage regulator to make sure you hooked it up right. One other clue in tracing down a short, what was the last thing I did to this car?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts