Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would pass along a little story for you....

As I near the point where my restoration will allow me to reinstall the motor I also realized I needed some new wheel/tires for my front end. After putting on the new disc brakes up front my old steel 14" wheels were not going to do the trick. Needing something to simply roll the car around and very minimal driving while the bodywork begins lead me to thinking about a trip to the junkyard for a suitable interim wheel/tire set.

My first trip to the junkyard had me in search for "Ford 5-lug 15" wheel/tires and found 2 with fairly good tread. Guy wanted $20 each and I threw them in the truck. You guessed it: They were too big....

Back to yard #2 and the guy said "Have you thought about a space-saving spare?" I thought "no" and did not see any problem here so we threw two more into the back of the truck. This time I was careful and had made a cardboard template of the bolt hole pattern and these looked like they would fit perfect. Alas, annother $50 (for both...) got them home and the back spacing was too deep and they rubbed against the UCA's.

Back to yard #2 but this time with template measuring proper depth and lo and behold they had no 15" which would fit. He suggested we go to 16" and found two more which had the proper hole sizes and back spacing.

Perfect!! However, with them on the front end looks like I am heading towards the christmas tree light ready for my burnout... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Anyhow, thought this might interest some who are considering interim "painting" wheels. If nothing else, it gives me more room to work around the inner fenders when I reinstall mudflaps, fenders, etc.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know what you mean. When I bought my stang it had Mickey Thompson GR60-15's all around. They were giant! It looked like I was driving backwards. Now running BF Goodrich 215's on the front and BFG 275-50 drag radials on the back. They look so good on 10-spoke Shelby wheels and hook on any pavement. The stance that she has now is classic all the way.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts