Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought this week would never come--the one when the body shop would finally get around to painting my '70 SportsRoof.

It's being painted after the shop has taken nearly a year to fix the damage caused when I was hit in the side. I was T-boned on the passenger side by a pickup truck that was going fast enough to almost turn the Mustang on its side--after the wreck, I didn't know whether the car was going to roll or just settle back down. Thankfully, it didn't roll. I was hit hard enough we skidded six feet after he hit me, and the shock from the impact caused my front bumper to crumple inward and bust out my grille, headlight buckets, and front valance panel. It looked like I had been hit in the front as well as the side.

This involved pulling it on the frame machine until it was as straight as possible, then cutting out the dented section from the A-pillar to the rocker, piecing that bit back in, re-welding it to the firewall and inner fender structure, and then pulling it on the frame machine some more until everything triangulated just right.

Then, they had to fit the repro fender and door on that side, fix the dents in the hood resulting from the wreck, patch a few bits of rust, and get it all straight. I trust their repair work--before getting all the gaps just right, etc, I had the car aligned, and it lined up and tracked perfectly.

So, it's been a long time coming. They had a lot to do, but its a small shop and they kept putting me on the back burner to do insurance jobs, which I kind of understand. They've got to get the small checks coming in, but I've been giving them draws along the way, too. I've been antsy, to say the least, esp. when I learned the shop was going through labor problems and was having problems meeting payroll.

But they have done the job for much less than anyone would probably have touched it for. I hated to throw away the car or junk it--the running gear was solid, and I've got a huge sentimental tie to the car. When I was 17 I drove it to Augusta, GA for the 2003 MCA Grand Nationals and won 1st in Nation for 69-70 Daily Driven.

Now, it won't be my daily driver, but I will drive it every chance I get.

It's going to be the original color T-code Medium Red, with the optional hood stripe. It has the Mach 1 style hood scoop and the "Sports Slats". I'm also having the body shop black out the taillight panel.

The seats are being covered as we speak (I covered the rear seat myself and decided I didn't want to risk messing up the buckets. They're white Mach 1 style TMI sport seats, red stripe.

It's a mild 302 and C4 auto, but it's quick enough for me! I just can't wait to get in it and drive it again.

Just had to let out some of this excitement.

-Joseph Knight

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
the shop has taken nearly a year to fix the damage
Only a year? Consider yourself lucky to have even found a shop willing to do the work... The damage described sounds extensive. Most shops, even slow ones, probably would have said no.

I have a friend who owns a fairly large body shop here in town. It's what I consider a "premier" collision center. It seems that there are 10-20 cars in work on any given day. I helped this guy build his house. We've hung out. I sold him a Mustang. I know better than to even ask him for any type of restoration work on a Classic Car. It's just not the business that he's in. Get 'em in, get 'em out insurance jobs is all that most shops are interested in these days.

I'm glad to hear that the car is almost finished. Post some pictures when you get it back for all of us to enjoy.

Dave

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Was this not an insurance job?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope. The wreck was my fault for failure to yield, and at the time I could only afford liability coverage.

Basically, I found a really good deal on a '66 Fairlane 500 2-door hardtop/390 C6 car, restored it, drove it 2 years, and sold it for a profit, which enabled me to get back into my Mustang.

I sure wish it had been an insurance job!

I ended up being very lucky and finding the exact piece of a car that I needed sitting in a front yard 20 miles from home! It was the remnant left of multiple patch jobs, about 1/3 of a '70 SportsRoof or less. But, it was the third I needed.

-Joseph Knight

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
That's awesome that your car is going to paint! That is to me the most exciting part of any restoration (I always do paint near the end, not the beginning like some). And I agree with Dave, you're lucky you found a shop willing to tackle that kind of work!

Post some pics, and if it isn't too late get some pics of the car before it is painted. You will enjoy having pictures of the car during its restoration process down the road. Good luck,

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try to post pics as soon as possible. I don't have any progress pics of my own, as the shop is about 3 hours away from me and I'm in school now, but I believe they have been taking pictures. As soon as I can get home, probably over Thanksgiving, expect lots and lots of pictures!

Though sometimes working with the body shop has been frustrating, I know they're doing a good job and frankly, working on such a wreck for too long a stint at a time probably would have yielded a worse finished product.

Ever since the wreck four years ago, I've been building the Mustang back in my head. I can't tell you how many times I've been over each step of the restoration in my head... "Should I use the Performer RPM intake or this nice original Shelby one?...cut pile or loop carpet?...Magnums or Americans?" It's nice to be so close to having a tangible starting place for all those results.

-Joseph Knight

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Believe me though, all those decisions along the way are almost more fun than when the car is actually finished. View my most recent topic for discussion. I look back at all the decisions and thought that went into my mustang when I was away at college and I definitely think it helped keep me motivated.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Make sure they paint the edges first, flat surfaces, then edges again. Too many painters are afraid of burning the paint off the edges when they polish so they don't get near them to begin with. The solution is plenty of paint first and an experienced hand at polishing time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts