Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a little road trip yesterday up to Prairieville LA (near state capitol Baton Rouge) to Ascension Pony Cars. I wanted to add a set of 66 axles to my car along with the 3.25 posi, and this is my closest source.
Anyway, the owner, Joe Hebert, has about 200 mustangs up there - all lined up in a field according to year. Most are way beyond being restored (unless you just want to throw away some bucks).
Included are 3 (yes three) Boss 302s (lined up side by side-no engines), a 65 "K" coupe, a Boss 351, and lots of other mustangs. Most all were severely wrecked or looked like swiss cheese. I looked at an OK 66 coupe, blue with white vinyl top, with a still good deluxe interior. I wanted some of the interior parts, but Joe pointed out the data tag - it's the 59th mustang made in 66. (Another "I'll restore it someday" story?) Not really rare but kinda neat.
All in all, I got my axles and had a great time poking around the yard for an hour or so. Most all of the cars are just rusty shells by now- very little left to pick off except engine, tranny, and suspension parts. I left me sort of sad to see all these once-proud steeds rotting away in a field. I hope he's sent all the VINs for Jim Smart's In Search of Mustangs.

BTW, Joe has an old busload full of toploader parts (I was looking for one for a VMF friend). If you need some PM me and I'll give you the number.

It was a successful parts run and a fun afternoon- but also kinda sad as I know none of these cars will ever make it back on the road.
I took some pictures, and will try to post them if anyone is interested.
Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
Dickson, PLEASE do post the pics to VMF. I agree that it is sad to see a field full of rusting ponys. I'm planning a trip to KY Mustang next weekend (Anyone been there?) He has around 200 in his yard too. I'll take some pics there....Not sure what i'm goin' for, just to look I guess, LOL!!!

Dan
65 FASTBACK

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
G

·
would be cool to go through all those VINs and see what he has/had.

Drew
66' 289 2v, C-4, bench and a/c
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1594736&a=12147274&p=44139589.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
I live in Northern Ky, Where is Ky Mustang?
Sounds like a road trip....

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Dickson:

Where is your home base? I'm over in Tangipahoa, LA. I too, have visited Joe Henert's place. Really a neat way to spend an afternoon. Tell me, were the parts reasonable in your opinion? Frankly, I looked at a project over there and thought he was a little pricey, but I haven't tried him for parts.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I got an 8" 3.25 posi in a 67 case - rebuilt by Western Drivetrain in Aurora CO. Glenn / "MrGEM" put me on to them.

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
576 Posts
Kentucky Mustang is in Mt. Sterling KY about 45 minutes or so from Lexington.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pvirg on 04/01/01 08:51 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
pvirg, Where in the state are you? Have you been to KY Mustang? How are his prices, will he budge on what he listed on the web?

Dan
65 FASTBACK

G

·
I went to the Phoenix boneyard (Mustang Mart) this weekend. Funny you mention it's like going to the pound because the pound is less than a mile down the road from it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.