Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a little road trip yesterday up to Prairieville LA (near state capitol Baton Rouge) to Ascension Pony Cars. I wanted to add a set of 66 axles to my car along with the 3.25 posi, and this is my closest source.
Anyway, the owner, Joe Hebert, has about 200 mustangs up there - all lined up in a field according to year. Most are way beyond being restored (unless you just want to throw away some bucks).
Included are 3 (yes three) Boss 302s (lined up side by side-no engines), a 65 "K" coupe, a Boss 351, and lots of other mustangs. Most all were severely wrecked or looked like swiss cheese. I looked at an OK 66 coupe, blue with white vinyl top, with a still good deluxe interior. I wanted some of the interior parts, but Joe pointed out the data tag - it's the 59th mustang made in 66. (Another "I'll restore it someday" story?) Not really rare but kinda neat.
All in all, I got my axles and had a great time poking around the yard for an hour or so. Most all of the cars are just rusty shells by now- very little left to pick off except engine, tranny, and suspension parts. I left me sort of sad to see all these once-proud steeds rotting away in a field. I hope he's sent all the VINs for Jim Smart's In Search of Mustangs.

BTW, Joe has an old busload full of toploader parts (I was looking for one for a VMF friend). If you need some PM me and I'll give you the number.

It was a successful parts run and a fun afternoon- but also kinda sad as I know none of these cars will ever make it back on the road.
I took some pictures, and will try to post them if anyone is interested.
Dickson

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
0 Posts
Dickson, PLEASE do post the pics to VMF. I agree that it is sad to see a field full of rusting ponys. I'm planning a trip to KY Mustang next weekend (Anyone been there?) He has around 200 in his yard too. I'll take some pics there....Not sure what i'm goin' for, just to look I guess, LOL!!!

Dan
65 FASTBACK

·
Premium Member
3,305 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
would be cool to go through all those VINs and see what he has/had.

Drew
66' 289 2v, C-4, bench and a/c
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1594736&a=12147274&p=44139589.jpg

·
Registered
330 Posts
I live in Northern Ky, Where is Ky Mustang?
Sounds like a road trip....

1965 Mustang coupe
1961 Thunderbird
1983 Monte Carlo Conv.
Yeah, thats right...Convertible!!

·
Registered
2,242 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Dickson:

Where is your home base? I'm over in Tangipahoa, LA. I too, have visited Joe Henert's place. Really a neat way to spend an afternoon. Tell me, were the parts reasonable in your opinion? Frankly, I looked at a project over there and thought he was a little pricey, but I haven't tried him for parts.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got an 8" 3.25 posi in a 67 case - rebuilt by Western Drivetrain in Aurora CO. Glenn / "MrGEM" put me on to them.

1965 GT fastback
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Registered
576 Posts
Kentucky Mustang is in Mt. Sterling KY about 45 minutes or so from Lexington.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by pvirg on 04/01/01 08:51 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

G

·
0 Posts
pvirg, Where in the state are you? Have you been to KY Mustang? How are his prices, will he budge on what he listed on the web?

Dan
65 FASTBACK

G

·
0 Posts
I went to the Phoenix boneyard (Mustang Mart) this weekend. Funny you mention it's like going to the pound because the pound is less than a mile down the road from it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm looking for a AOD that will fit on a 1966 mustang with a 6 cylinder. Any help will be great. I like to make a trip to joe hebert mustang.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts