Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
about a week ago i got my carb tuned by a guy who said, "i dont know much but ill do what i can". I thought he did pretty good. it ran really nice. when i got home i decided to check all fluids. I thought that it could use a bit more oil so i gave it a quart. Then i went about 75 miles away from home and turned around. when i got off of the exit it was shakeing the whole car. i figured it would be gone tomorrow. so the next morning i go out and it is still there shakeing hard. Do you think i added too much oil? So the next day i drained out a quart of oil. i should probably check my plugs right? so every day now it gets worse. It pufs out black smoke, and doesnt accellerate like any mustang should. It is hesitant like when it is accelerating. It is only getting worse too. this ever happen to anyone?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Me thinks your carb guy was telling the truth about his ability. Sounds like a seriously flooding engine caused by perhaps a sticking or really badly aadjusted float. Have you got tons of black smoke coming out of the exhaust? That will confirm its fuel related.

65 Hi-Po F/B (7 yr resto)
67 GTA F/B (small block) Mustang Owners Club of Austin (MOCA), TX
MCA 27479
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575609&a=11978710&p=43914197.jpg

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Black smoke? Likely runnin' rich for some reason....

Make sure the choke blade is fully open on the carb when warm and, if you know how, that the float levels aren't too high...

I usually trust my dipstick as far as oil level goes...what does yours say? Overfilling oil can cause oil burning (blue smoke) and rough running....mainly from plug fouling...

Check a few things and get back to us....and your mechanic...and see the local Mustang club for a referral to someone who does know how to work on vintage Pony's....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help fellas, i took off a plug and they were pretty black. Someone (me) must have forgotten to gap the plugs!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts