Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So this just showed up from Mustangs Unlimited. $9 with free shipping. Not bad I think.

Pretty useful. If you have a magnifying glass!

For my other hobby (old English motorcycles) their parts books tend to be an illustration and then the opposite page is a list of the illustration numbers, part numbers and part names. Does something like that exist for the Mustang?

If not I’ll make one. I’ll copy these drawings, enlarge them and make a table with the part numbers. Then ask your help with the official part names.

Given the amount of work I’d probably only do the 67 for now.

And then post it all on a website for anyone to use.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
9,036 Posts
Those illustrations in that book are ripped directly from the 65-73 Master Parts Catalog. I bought the same illustration book ages ago and it helped tremendously when doing various retrofits and repairs.

·
Registered
566 Posts
So the MPC has both of the things you are proposing,not on the same page mind you but still. You look at the pic and then find the listing in the parts section where you then get the part number.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the MPC has both of the things you are proposing,not on the same page mind you but still. You look at the pic and then find the listing in the parts section where you then get the part number.

So this one?

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
That book is not really giving you "part numbers" What it is showing you is the basic number. You take that to the application and cross it over to come up with the complete part number used to order or stock the item. Ford has a grouping system thats pretty cool, anything in the wheel dept is usually in the 1000 group, brakes 2000 group, steering 3000 group and so on...So looking at the first illustration you see the headlamp outer door is 13064, great, but, you then have to cross it over to an application. Say its a 65 mustang, there is a prefix like c5zz and a suffix a,b,c etc that depending on body style, trim, production date, engine size etc etc is used to get the correct "part number" which might look like c5zz-3064-a The prefix often indicates what year and car line it goes to...but not steadfast....6 is the sixties, 5 the first year of use, zz a code for mustangs, dz is falcon, oz a torino, az a big ford, tz a truck and so on. You might look up a headlamp bulb and it starts with c2az, but fits your 65 mustang. The pamphlet is still helpful but does not appear to be really complete if you think your gonna look up the correct part number. However, it is also showing the hardware number for clips,nuts,bolts, screws etc...those are just as listed and you can cross them over to aftermarket suppliers like AMK. That alone could be very helpfull if your trying to put something back together! To confuse things more, look at the cross over chart to the right of swooshdaves illustration, the first basic number listed for radiator support is 10832...when you apply that to an application, the body style of say 65 for a coup vrs 76 for a conv. goes in front so it becomes 6510832 then for a 67 6 cyl it may pan out to c7zz-6510832-b. Thats also more of a cross member, not a core support...those are in the front sheet metal group of 16000....the radiator support basic is always 16138, it may be more like c7zz-16138-a as an actual ford part number. Then there's left and right parts -usually denoted by an odd or even basic number. But thats not a steadfast rule either! All in all though, the ford parts system is pretty easy to learn and understand for the parts dept counter ....person...:) see what I did there, .how pc I am!! For 9 dollars and a magnifying glass it would be nice to have!

on.

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
They are a great reference but can be frustrating in lack of detail sometimes when hunting out some specifics. Even when you blow them up. That was one of the first books I bought back in the 90's. It is very handy that they are in a single location. And this was before everything was on the intarweb. Still a good thing to have.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That book is not really giving you "part numbers" What it is showing you is the basic number. You take that to the application and cross it over to come up with the complete part number used to order or stock the item. Ford has a grouping system thats pretty cool, anything in the wheel dept is usually in the 1000 group, brakes 2000 group, steering 3000 group and so on...So looking at the first illustration you see the headlamp outer door is 13064, great, but, you then have to cross it over to an application. Say its a 65 mustang, there is a prefix like c5zz and a suffix a,b,c etc that depending on body style, trim, production date, engine size etc etc is used to get the correct "part number" which might look like c5zz-3064-a The prefix often indicates what year and car line it goes to...but not steadfast....6 is the sixties, 5 the first year of use, zz a code for mustangs, dz is falcon, oz a torino, az a big ford, tz a truck and so on. You might look up a headlamp bulb and it starts with c2az, but fits your 65 mustang. The pamphlet is still helpful but does not appear to be really complete if you think your gonna look up the correct part number. However, it is also showing the hardware number for clips,nuts,bolts, screws etc...those are just as listed and you can cross them over to aftermarket suppliers like AMK. That alone could be very helpfull if your trying to put something back together! To confuse things more, look at the cross over chart to the right of swooshdaves illustration, the first basic number listed for radiator support is 10832...when you apply that to an application, the body style of say 65 for a coup vrs 76 for a conv. goes in front so it becomes 6510832 then for a 67 6 cyl it may pan out to c7zz-6510832-b. Thats also more of a cross member, not a core support...those are in the front sheet metal group of 16000....the radiator support basic is always 16138, it may be more like c7zz-16138-a as an actual ford part number. Then there's left and right parts -usually denoted by an odd or even basic number. But thats not a steadfast rule either! All in all though, the ford parts system is pretty easy to learn and understand for the parts dept counter ....person...:) see what I did there, .how pc I am!! For 9 dollars and a magnifying glass it would be nice to have!

on.
Got it. I was hoping more for a visual guide with descriptions. More for when I’m looking for parts so that I have a general idea of what to order and how many. Idon’t have to have a specific part number for my model.

·
Registered
4,455 Posts
Ya, its good for order of installation and to see all the different spacers, clips and washers or kind of nuts holding stuff. I am always amazed at the little bits missing off a "complete" car or how many parts you can have left over from a job but still have it work:rolleyes:

I can't believe it hasn't been expanded on before by one of the suppliers. Have a book for each years illustrations, what the part is called and their stock number and the sales of clips and washers and gaskets would skyrocket. Leave out prices so it doesn't get dated and you'd have a book to sell for each car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't waste the $9 here. Instead, pop for about $30 and get the 1960-68 Master Parts Catalog which has both Text and Illustrations. The $30 is for a searchable and printable digital copy.This will help you way more than just Illustrations with only Group Numbers. I have had an original hard copy for almost 40 years, and believe me, the MPC is the way to go.

Bob

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Personally, I wouldn't waste the $9 here. Instead, pop for about $30 and get the 1960-68 Master Parts Catalog which has both Text and Illustrations. The $30 is for a searchable and printable digital copy.This will help you way more than just Illustrations with only Group Numbers. I have had an original hard copy for almost 40 years, and believe me, the MPC is the way to go.

Bob
Is that the USB stick I linked above from NPD?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can't believe it hasn't been expanded on before by one of the suppliers. Have a book for each years illustrations, what the part is called and their stock number and the sales of clips and washers and gaskets would skyrocket. Leave out prices so it doesn't get dated and you'd have a book to sell for each car.
The current vendor sites leave a lot to be desired. Spare parts catalogs are standard across many industries yet the e-commerce solutions we see are difficult to navigate.

it’s pretty simple, I’m working on a particular area of the car, I need to know what part it is, what parts are related to it and what it looks like. And how many do I need. From there I’m eager to hand over my money.

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
That book is probably 20 years old and all we had back in the last century. Now there are much better choices. I personally really like the Assembly manuals. They are a bit hard to read at times, but they are far more detailed, year and model specific , and list the true part numbers, hardware required etc.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Is that the USB stick I linked above from NPD?
Yes, that is the one. For starting out, this is your best bet.
While the Assembly Manuals mentioned are very helpful once you have the parts and begin to Restore your car, they will not help to the extent as MPC' which deals with Part Numbers, Quantities, etc.
You will eventually want to get the Assembly Manuals, but starting out, the MPC will be of the most help.

Bob

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
While I don't think it's "The" reference for any mustang restoration, it does add value and lend support for those other reference materials. I do have this very book and opened it numerous times (yes, with readers too).

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If anyone wants to check this out here's a live mockup using Wordpress. It's just one page for now and I'm still tweaking. Let me know if you have any feedback.

I'd especially appreciate feedback from someone like @69bossnine :)

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
"That book is probably 20 years old "

Try 36 years old...

·
Registered
422 Posts
If anyone wants to check this out here's a live mockup using Wordpress. It's just one page for now and I'm still tweaking. Let me know if you have any feedback.

I'd especially appreciate feedback from someone like @69bossnine :)
As someone noted before, all that Illustrattions Book gives you are Group Numbers, not the Part Numbers that you need to find the actual Parts. The MPFC will give you both that Illustration, plus the full Part Number. The digital copy is actually two Volumes ; one is Text (the full Part Numbersw), and the other is the Illustratins like the Illustrastion Book has.

Bob

·
Registered
422 Posts
As someone noted before, all that Illustrattions Book gives you are Group Numbers, not the Part Numbers that you need to find the actual Parts. The MPFC will give you both that Illustration, plus the full Part Number. The digital copy is actually two Volumes ; one is Text (the full Part Numbersw), and the other is the Illustratins like the Illustrastion Book has.

Bob
Here are just a few sample pages of what you get with MPC's.

Bob
MPC Body Pages 142, 143 plus Text_0001.jpg
MPC Body Pages 142, 143 plus Text_0002.jpg
MPC Body Pages 142, 143 plus Text_0003.jpg
MPC Body Pages 142, 143 plus Text_0004.jpg

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, that is the one. For starting out, this is your best bet.
While the Assembly Manuals mentioned are very helpful once you have the parts and begin to Restore your car, they will not help to the extent as MPC' which deals with Part Numbers, Quantities, etc.
You will eventually want to get the Assembly Manuals, but starting out, the MPC will be of the most help.

Bob
Ordered the USB stick.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts