1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Dimples
3,423 Posts
Yeah they’ve been talking about this one for a long time. First mention was a few years ago and they hinted at calling it “Mach 1”.

I’m all for family resemblance in car brands, but don’t call an SUV a Mustang. Or a Mach 1 for that matter.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Ford has been making some pretty bad decisions lately that will likely completely alienate their customer base. I understand people are buying mostly SUVs and crossovers these days...but Ford dropped the passenger car market altogether, and it was still around 20% of the market...they had the Fusion which did very well in that market...now all those Fusion buyers will certainly go to another brand...they wouldnt have been buying Fusions if they wanted crossovers or SUVs, Not to mention the Focus, which was popular among both the compact economy car market and the hot hatch market(for the RS at least). Lets put it this way...I wouldn't buy anything from Ford with their current offerings except the F150....and even that is too upscale to be appealing as a basic work truck now(For a basic work truck I would likely go to Dodge now). The current Mustang is just way too heavy to be appealing to me and has been since 1994(with the exception of the current GT350...that is just an awesome enough car to ignore the weight). I think Ford is trying to appeal to the hot hatch market without a hatch to offer...it will fail miserably...and be about as popular as the Caliber SRT4 was when Dodge dropped the Neon version....fell flat on its face

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ford has been making some pretty bad decisions lately that will likely completely alienate their customer base. I understand people are buying mostly SUVs and crossovers these days...but Ford dropped the passenger car market altogether, and it was still around 20% of the market...they had the Fusion which did very well in that market...now all those Fusion buyers will certainly go to another brand...they wouldnt have been buying Fusions if they wanted crossovers or SUVs, Not to mention the Focus, which was popular among both the compact economy car market and the hot hatch market(for the RS at least). Lets put it this way...I wouldn't buy anything from Ford with their current offerings except the F150....and even that is too upscale to be appealing as a basic work truck now(For a basic work truck I would likely go to Dodge now). The current Mustang is just way too heavy to be appealing to me and has been since 1994(with the exception of the current GT350...that is just an awesome enough car to ignore the weight). I think Ford is trying to appeal to the hot hatch market without a hatch to offer...it will fail miserably...and be about as popular as the Caliber SRT4 was when Dodge dropped the Neon version....fell flat on its face
Interesting that you should bring up the new GT 350. A couple of guys I autocross with have picked up "as new" less that 5000 mile examples a year old at current run of the mill GT prices. If I wasn't planning on moving. . . . They are not really autocross cars, out of the box anyway, but Damn they sound awesome!

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Based on that image... it doesn't look like these sketches are too far off:

Renderings Show What The Mustang SUV Could Be

If it actually looks like those sketches, screw the electric crap, put a 3.7L in it and I would buy it. I have absolutely zero interest if it's electric only.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Based on that image... it doesn't look like these sketches are too far off:

Renderings Show What The Mustang SUV Could Be

If it actually looks like those sketches, screw the electric crap, put a 3.7L in it and I would buy it. I have absolutely zero interest if it's electric only.
Looks like a Dodge Magnum(which is actually ok, I like the Magnum...but the Magnum looks better and has more room than those renderings)

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Four door electric SUV as a mustang? Nope nope nope. Quick way to destroy the name and the branding thats been built over +50 years. We have enough bloated soccer mom blobs rolling around these days. Don't need another. I hope they call it anything but a mustang and don't reference any other mustang names.

I think of all the other brands that have turned to a cuv/suv and hour ugly and atrocious they are. I'm sure everyone remembers the freak outs the Porsche purists had when they introduced the Cayenne.

Electric lightweight sporty mustang? sure! sign me up. Heck an AWD 2 door would also be a riot.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Maybe if enough people scream loud enough they'll change from calling it a Mustang to calling it the new Probe.

·
Dimples
3,423 Posts
Maybe if enough people scream loud enough they'll change from calling it a Mustang to calling it the new Probe.
Hah! I remember that old debacle like it way yesterday.

I actually had a 93 Probe GT when it was new, and it was a really fun car. Chicks dug it too. Too bad they were made to be disposable. After 10 years or so, they were all gone.

·
Administrator
19,298 Posts
After 10 years or so, they were all gone.
Now that you mention it, that seems about normal for about 95% of what Mazda makes. I see 10 year old Miatas around and that's about it.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now that you mention it, that seems about normal for about 95% of what Mazda makes. I see 10 year old Miatas around and that's about it.
A third of the cars at local autocross events are 10+ year old Mazda Miata's. Check out your local government centers parking lots on Sundays. Or look for a hazy smoke cloud in the distance.:grin2:

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
You could say the same about any car out there really. As for Mazda....say what you will, but they do make a good handling car that looks good too. I actually currently have a 91 Miata, a 91 Rx7(2.3T Ford engine swap), and an 05 Mazda 6...they have all aged pretty well(except the Miata...but they weren't that great visually to begin with). The Rx7 in particular was a nice looking car and will likely be a classic in the decades to come. The Miata(Like the 65-66 mustang, they hit that magic 1 million number not long ago) is good at what it does...whatever you choose that to be...the 6 is just a daily driver but seems to be reliable as a rock so far(3.0L Duratec V6 and 5 speed manual trans)...aside from the rotary engine I can't really say anything bad about Mazda, one of the few companies that still offer manual transmissions across most of their line(or did as of a couple years ago, dont know about now)

·
Dimples
3,423 Posts
Here are some spy shots of the new "Mustang inspired" electric crossover. I think the article nails it in that it looks like a Mazda with some very minor Mustangish styling cues. I actually kind of like it, dumb Mustang tie-ins notwithstanding.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
Eh, pass. The concept I posted looks a lot cooler. They dumbed it down to where it's just another generic crossover.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've lost track. At one time didn't Ford own 25% of Mazda? Do they still? Share the cost and have a electric cx5 and an electric mustangish thing? Or, maybe cx3, Looks about the right size.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
They upped it to 33% sometime in the mid 90's. They sold all their shares in 2015.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts