Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
These are clay models of concepts not finished designs. I wouldn’t get too worked up on the details just yet. They won’t go into tooling for several more months. Once we start getting spy picks from camo wrapped test cars around Detroit we‘ll have a better idea of what they are going to do.

What’s really going to blow some of your tops is where the car will be assembled...

·
Dimples
3,508 Posts
These are clay models of concepts not finished designs. I wouldn’t get too worked up on the details just yet. They won’t go into tooling for several more months. Once we start getting spy picks from camo wrapped test cars around Detroit we‘ll have a better idea of what they are going to do.

What’s really going to blow some of your tops is where the car will be assembled...
These are running, driving pre-production cars. They're going to be assembled in Mexico, and then later expanded to include assembly in China. Probably a couple of years later.

·
Registered
114 Posts
A valid point....imagine swapping out a low energy density battery pack for a high density battery pack in the middle of a race...say a lithium-ion for a lithium-air pack...I think there are also significant weight differences between the 2(lithium air batteries are one of those that are currently laboratory-only battery technologies). Of course then the question becomes why you wouldnt just choose lithium-air to begin with...
In the article below Lucid doesn't specify what tech they use for their battery. But they are calling it (their car? their battery tech?) "Lucid Air". One of the interesting dynamics in racing (vs consumer) is that you would like a high capacity battery but may not really care how many charge/discharge cycles the battery can stand as long as it gets you through the race.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
This thing labelled a Mustang makes perfect sense...to the group of folks who never owned a dictionary, and continue to use their made up definition for a word that already has one.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Initially I was turned off by the whole Mach and then further with using the Mustang name. After watching the reveal and their focus on performance, I started to come around a bit.

Our views of foolish or balls out, Ford putting the Mustang name on it says something for what they want it to be. Anything less than the big name plate doesn’t give the ‘all in’ advertising message they need to launch it, attract attention and buyers.

IMO, if done right at production, this will accelerate the EV revolution and the obsolescence of (new) petro cars.

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Per most of the discussion above (and also my opinion) putting the mustang logo on an electric crossover seems like it is going to be a marketing faceplant. Sorta like "New Coke". But I got to thinking. Ford has not badged the car "Mustang". They just have put out their prototype with two running horse logos (which IMO looks ridiculous on a crossover). But who's to say that they don't remove them on the actual car. The addition of them on the prototype has certainly got people's attention... I likely would not have paid that much attention to "yet another electric car" except that it was being touted as an "electric mustang". There's an old adage "There's no such thing as bad press"... being completely ignored is worse. It may be that Ford is just trying to play "catch up" with people's mindshare. IMO, just calling it a "Mach-E" (a name I like) and possibly changing the horse to, say, something like a lightning bolt, in the very vague, somewhat subconscious, form of a running horse would work. I think it would be much better to save the horse logo and "Musang" badge for a later electric coupe or roadster.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Per most of the discussion above (and also my opinion) putting the mustang logo on an electric crossover seems like it is going to be a marketing faceplant. Sorta like "New Coke". But I got to thinking. Ford has not badged the car "Mustang". They just have put out their prototype with two running horse logos (which IMO looks ridiculous on a crossover). But who's to say that they don't remove them on the actual car. The addition of them on the prototype has certainly got people's attention... I likely would not have paid that much attention to "yet another electric car" except that it was being touted as an "electric mustang". There's an old adage "There's no such thing as bad press"... being completely ignored is worse. It may be that Ford is just trying to play "catch up" with people's mindshare. IMO, just calling it a "Mach-E" (a name I like) and possibly changing the horse to, say, something like a lightning bolt, in the very vague, somewhat subconscious, form of a running horse would work. I think it would be much better to save the horse logo and "Musang" badge for a later electric coupe or roadster.
Put the blue oval on it!
The big screen dash would take awhile to get used to, but it may be very functional. It's a good looking car. Hope they sell a ton of them.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
It could be worse looking
That thing is a transparent joke by Musk...all you have to do is look at the rake of the windshield...the DOT does not allow a rake of that degree on a production car(that is one reason a lot of concept cars change so much by the time they hit production). My guess is he is holding out on the real design and that thing is just something he finds funny.

·
Registered
957 Posts
This isn't the first time Ford used their most popular name to test the market with "green" ideas. I own a 69' Mustang E. Their attempt at fuel savings in the 60's did not go over well either. 96 E's made with only 50 sold. These were 250ci six cylinders in their very popular fastback Mustangs. While it did not go over well then I doubt it will now either. Could be they are just testing the waters here. I also read that they are already behind on batteries for next year. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
This isn't the first time Ford used their most popular name to test the market with "green" ideas. I own a 69' Mustang E. Their attempt at fuel savings in the 60's did not go over well either. 96 E's made with only 50 sold. These were 250ci six cylinders in their very popular fastback Mustangs. While it did not go over well then I doubt it will now either. Could be they are just testing the waters here. I also read that they are already behind on batteries for next year. Interesting. View attachment 737808
That was a Mustang, just with a different engine. This new MachE is just a bastardization.

81 - 98 of 98 Posts