Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember my intro post from last month (allow myself to introduce... myself.) In that post, and in my website I tell the story of the Mustang being my Grandmother's car, etc, etc. Since the car's restoration was completed, scheduling, timing and geography have prevented other members of my family from seeing the car. The most powerful reaction to the car so far has been my mother (her mother = my grandmother.)

Yesterday she and my father finally stopped by for a look and a ride. They basically said "Oh wow" when they saw the car in the garage - remember this car had been sitting for close to 20 years before now. When I pulled the car out of the garage and got out, my mother was looking at the car and sobbing gently.

I looked at my father and asked what was wrong, was it the memory that it was her mother's car? He said yes. They both got in the car for a ride, and my mother looks at me and says - still lightly sobbing - "I remember driving her to the store in this, and you and your sister were in the back seat."

Talk about a gut-wrenching moment! I really don't like "Hallmark Moments," and I but this was really touching.

Now, during the test drive, things changed a little. As I was going down the road, changing gears, etc, she looked over and said "It's loud! Are there mufflers on the car?"

[To "GT350Clone" and those who have heard his car, you will know the loudness to which I refer - our engines are similar.]

After the test drive. Everyone was calmed down (my dad was all kinds of fired up, but that's another story) and my mother's final comment on the car was "it's perfect." My intention with this car was to be a tribute of sorts, and it seems to fit the bill.

Sorry to indulge, but I wanted to share.

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
That is awesome, and the car looks great!

We are restoring my great grandfather's truck in much the same spirit.... I wonder what effect it will have on my grandfather. I never considered it until now.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,746 Posts
Great story, thanks for sharing it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Makes all those little frustrations worthwhile doesn't it?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Most times when you make your Mother cry, you been bad...This time you made your Mother cry because you did good....You should be proud of yourself......
Great story....

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Nice story, Tom.

There are a few contexts in which it is actually OK to make your Mom cry - and this is certainly one of those.

You have a gem in your possession. This car not only represents a piece of automotive history - a relic of an important time of cultural (and technical) transistion in America, but it is a family heirloom as well. You should never let it out of your family.

I'm serious. You should plan on passing this car on to your son or daughter in 20 years or so and for them to pass it on to their children. Keep the memory of your grandmother, a woman they will never know directly, alive through this car.

Again, good story.

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
Man.... my mom never cried when I rolled my car out for the first time! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif I suddenly feel so unloved. Mom, why did you do this to me??? I'm scarred for life. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Probably has something to do with being bottle-fed as a baby! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Seriously, congrats. I'm sure it was a special moment for your parents, as well as you.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for reading this, everyone. I just wanted to post some public responses before I forgot.

CantedValve - THAT will be cool.
Rod_Cook - Frustrations... (psst - see my site)
G1967T - No, I'm waiting for a big family get-together for a photo. I'm also still looking for pics of my grandparents with the car.
Clone - Sorry to bring up some Oprah-esque repressed memories.
mrgem - I would love to have grandkids enjoy this car 50+ years from now. Now, if I could just start with kids of my own /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
That is a very cool story, reading it made me feel good. Great job, and one that will last a lifetime.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Call it a Hallmark moment or whatever--it's a memory you have forever. Very cool. Great looking car too. When my resto turns out that good looking I'll probably cry too.

·
Registered
330 Posts
What a great story!!! I think it is very cool that your Grandma used to own the car and you rode in the back. I am sure it made Mom quite proud to see what you had done to restore her Mom's car.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story Tom!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
JDiehl
70 76B Convert 351 C4v w/a shaker!!!!!!!

·
Registered
532 Posts
Cool story. My 70 coupe also has a famley story. My wifes aunt got it new in 70. She gave it to my sister in law in 80,[She beat the tar out of it. now I get to fix it all.] And my wife got it in 85.[Right after we started daiting] This car will NEVER be sold. It will go to my daughter, if we have one. [My first kid was due tuesday, don't know weather its a boy, or girl yet./forums/images/icons/smile.gif ] Maby by the time the kid can drive, I will be done with it./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts