Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering what type of engine would be able to fit in a 1975 Ford Mustang. I was just looking in a 'buy & sell' and a Ford 302 engine was for sale... would that work? I have no experience with cars... and since I'm only 15... no liscence either! but I was actually looking at this 1975 mustang at a bailiff's lot, and was planning to put a bid on it. There are few rust spots around the car, but there is a roughly 2cm diameter rust hole in the back left fender, is that 'patchable' or will I have to try to find a whole new one? As well, what other technical things should I do? I have just checked for rust on the exterior, the interior seems pretty clean, and no I haven't checked the engine,b ut will soon, but I would like to prepare for the fact it doesn't work, Thanks for any info you can provide,

Tom

·
Registered
487 Posts
Welcome to the neigh-borhood....

And, yes a 302 will fit....

Dang! Just when I got used to being "strange", I became a "newbie", then a "tire-kicker". Now I'm a "beginner"?.....hmmmmmm...where do I start?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
a 2 cm hole is extremely patchable. . probably take a body shop 20 minutes to do the whole thing.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Umm, I mighta been mistaken/w the 2cm hole... mebbe 2 inches? I'm not sure... but how big of a hole can be fixed at an autobody shop? And are there any places I should watch out for rust or holes that'll cost an exceptional amount of money? thank again

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
even if the hole is 2 feet it can probably still be patched. 2 inches should still be no problem. Make sure to check the floors, frame rails, and shock towers? (dont know if they had shock towers in 75). these are probably the most expensive rust repairs to make. Keep in mind that 90% of the cost to fix this stuff is for the labor, parts and sheetmetal is cheap so if you know someone that can weld then great!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OKie, the hole patching is VERY reassuring, now, welding... i have somebody that know show to weld... like he worked for a company, but what kinda "skil" do you need? Just basic welding? or like special welding thanks for answering my questions earlier, and if you can answer this one, Awesome, sorry for all of them though... I'm just trying to soak up as much info as I can

Tom

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Just make sure it is a '75 because the '74 Must. II will not accept the V8. Ford altered the MII a wee bit so the V8 will fit in '75.

The VIN should start with a 5.

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't quite understand what you were getting at sir... the engine IS v8 in there right now... but what did you mean a '74 is a must etc, I didn't understand... thanks again

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh yeah! ok, I have a major problem I believe... the front part of the car... Like... oy, what do you call it, the grill is on it... and headlights etc. well right beside the headlights, part of the body is like cracked... and stapled together...I can't believe I didn't remember this... will I be able to get another "front piece" ? or is that repairable?! cuz that'd be awesome if it is... but I don't know... cuz yeah, the staples... anyways, thanks again...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
im not exactly sure what part youre talking about, but i guess a simple rule of thumb is that if it is painted like the rest of the body then it can be replaced "easily". I dont have much experience with the 75 so i cant be for sure about what part of the car youre talking about, but im sure someone else will help you out

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
K, well oy, I can't believe I don't know what it's called. k, it's the fiberglass piece around the grille.. if that helps any... lol, anyways, do you know where I could get exterior pieces for an old mustang? and where in canada? thanks again *this is gettin repetitive lolz,

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
do a search on the internet theres gotta be at least 100 different parts houses. most of these companies allow you to make orders online or you can order from a catalog. The only problem is that most mustang parts vendors sell generally from '65-'73 and from the '80's till present. youre 75 is right in the middle so it may be tough to find parts.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh, sorry never mind, I read it wrong, I gotcha now, thanks I will surely check that,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
K! I think I know what the part is... does "apron" sound right? I've been looking at a few sites, so far no luck, as you said '65-70 etc. etc. that's not cool, but I've only looked forl ike half an hour, I better start looking harder, but any help would be awesome... I'm trying to find one in canada too, or at least one that ships to canada, cuz I live there... but I'm pretty sure it's the apron... laterz

1 - 14 of 14 Posts