Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday afternoon I sent my Mustang off to the paint shop to be started on today. They called this morning about 10 and said I should come in and take a look. I figured that something was wrong cause they didnt tell me why to come by. Well I get there and I find this:
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL514/938553/17108184/285169402.jpg
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL514/938553/17108184/285169388.jpg
http://pic14.picturetrail.com/VOL514/938553/17108184/285169412.jpg
They removed all that paint in less than 2 hours..with a razor blade??? I knew the paint looked weird and it seemed like it was poping but, I never thought it would just come off. They body guys said that they should have it completely striped today. The paint said he hasnt seen primer like the type on my car in years. It felt smooth as glass under the paint. If I would of known this could be done I would of stripped it myself. I didnt hang around and ask too many questions cause I want them too work on the car not talk ;) anyone seen this before?
Just thought Id share.

JBauer4363

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yup, these 40 year old cars tend to accumlate a lot of paint. Mine had 9 layers on it when I decided to strip it. I took most the paint off my mustang with nothing but a pressure washer. Here is the thread. I image I could have done the same thing with a razor blade, and not made such a mess.
--C. Alan

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
The body man did the same thing on my car. Trust me it's nowhere near as easy as they make it look.
He would go over compound curves and not nick the primer. If I would have done it, someone would have to fix the razor blade holes with a mig welder.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The odd thing is the painter said mine only had been painted once or twice at the most. Must have been striped years ago primed then not prepped right. Anyway it looks like it will get done quicker now, maybe. I post progress pics as I go.

JBauer4363

·
Registered
21,577 Posts
We had a porter at work remove the clear coat off a BMW's roof with a razor blade while trying to remove some mineral stains that had dripped on to the car!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Yup, I had a 78 corvette like that. The funny thing was stripping the car became like a contest. We tried to see who could pull the paint off in the biggest sheet.

A lot of things can cause this to happen: paint/primer imcompatibility, car was painted when it was too cold or too humid, primer was sanded with too fine of a paper, etc.

Well, on the positive side, its a lot easier to strip the old paint off. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,929 Posts
LOOKS LIKE OLD PPG KONDAR PRIMER , IT WAS A LAQUER PRIMER . ALOT OF PEOPLE USED IT AS A SEALER . THAT YOU PAINT RIGHT OVER ( WITHIN 15 MINUTES) ANY LONGER AND YOU HAVE TO SCUFF IT TO GET ADHESION .
LOOKS LIKE THEY WAITED TO LONG .
I HAVE SEEN A FEW PAINT JOBS YOU COULD STRIP WITH A RAZOR BLADE .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts