Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm designing a classic Mustang photo wikipedia, which was suggested on this forum about two months ago, and I felt like coming to assistance.

It can be seen here-
http://lemonshindig.no-ip.org/photowiki/

I'm scripting it in mysql/php, and I could be done with it in a few days easily, but it all depends on what comes up in the mean time, and the support of my fellow VMFers.

you will be able to upload a photo, categorize it, and write a short description, and then it will show up in the navigational hierarchy on the left so that other viewers can find it.

The idea is that there will be 3 category levels; a main category, a sub category, and a sub-sub category.

here's what I've come up with so far

Body
Colors
--Factory Interior
--Factory Exterior
--Custom Interior
--Custom Exterior
Diagrams
--Firing Order
--Wiring
Drivetrain
--Transmissions
----T10 4-Speed Toploader
----4-Speed sideloader
----C4 Automatic
----T5 5-Speed
--Clutch
--Flywheel
--Flexplate
--Driveshaft
--Differential
--Axel
--Other
Engine
--Carburetor
----Autolite
----Edelbrock
----Holley
----Other
--Ignition
----Spark Plug Wires
----Spark Plugs
----Ignition Coil
----Ignition Switch
----Other
--Other
Steering/Suspension
--Tie-Rods
----Tie-Rod Ends
----Tie-Rod Sleeves
--Steering Gear Box
--Shocks
Other

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Comon guys, you don't think this is a good idea?

Help me out, here. I think it'd be a VERY useful resource for beginners.

-Matt

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Ok. I'll step up with an opinion. I don't think it's such a bad idea, but I think you might be underestimating the scope of such a thing. This thing would result in a massive database that would probably not be cheap to operate.

PS - I think the T10 is a sideloader, there is a 3 speed and 4 speed toploader, as well as other options not listed. C6? C3? C5? AOD? On and on and on.... And that's just trannies.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good, good. Keep going.

Let's get the scripts done for now, and once it grows too big for my server to handle, we can look at other options.

-Matt

·
White Elephant Guy
12,969 Posts
Just a question, why aren't you using one of the MANY existing Wiki engines out there. Seems like a lot of work to reinvent the wheel.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Because it's a very simple program, and practice never hurt anyone.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I guess I don't get it. What are you trying to do ? Could you 'splain it to me.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Basically a massive picture database.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
To get this thing started, i think you need to make direct requests. Specifically, I think you should start at the top level, and work your way to the bottom of 1 single subsection. To do that you should go ask a specific person who has a competitive concourse car, like Laurie!

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I think I'd be putting my effort into my car versus sinking all my time into a nicety for the hobby. You have a lot of ambition. What you need is focus.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Guess I'm a little wierd! With all the manuals including the Ford shop manual
and the best Vintage Mustang site in the world why would I go to Wiki for the
straight scoop!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
I'm glad you have all those resources. I don't have them, and I don't think they are nearly complete enough. A picture is worth 1,000 words, eh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts