Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the link to the pics from the musuem. Picture are large (I did not want to shrink them).

Enjoy!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Very cool. A couple of thoughts:

- Good thing they redesigned that nose. Who knows how popular (or lack thereof) the Mustang would have been had they retained that funny-looking front end. Of course, maybe we'd all be used to it by now.

- It's interesting that the chrome trim on the C scallops are closer to 66 than 65.

- Love love love that center console! Hmmmm... that gives me an idea... ;)

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
I've seen a few pic's of this car before....but it just occured to me....how they really had the 63 T-bird front fender thing going on.....

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really liked the console also. If I ever make a clone, Maybe this is what I will clone. That is why I took alot of pictures. Too bad I took so many pictures of other cars, my digital camara ran out of room.

The body sure has taken alot off abuse being shipped everywhere. It could stand some body work and repaint. The intererior look to be in great shape.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
ive seen goth mustang II 1963 prototypes and thats not one of them , i have pictures of both, they do not have a back seat, and they do not have that 1964-65 style body, is this perhapes a diffrent type of prototype?? does anyone know?? ::

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
QCode, I believe you're thinking of the original 2 seaters that debuted at Watkins Glen. Note this is the Mustang II prototype, it came out near a year later.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There where 2 2-seater prototypes in early 63, this is the one is from latter in the year and is more close to the production model. It also has a removalble hardtop which was removed for better display purposes.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That is pretty cool - I never saw that prototype before.

I saw another concept, I think it was a 62 (white convert with stingray style nose) in NYC this past spring. Ford owns tha one and it really needed to be pulled aside and refurbished - It was not to clean and was kind of embarrassing to have them put that on display.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
As others have pointed out... the Mustang I was a small, 2 seat, mid-engined (V-4) prototype made to test public reaction to a "sports" car from Ford. Ultimately, the project matured into the design of a 4 seater with only the name being a carry over. About 8 months before the actual Mustang car was unveiled, Ford produced another prototype called the Mustang II. Unlike the first car, this one was a customized version of the real production car which, I guess, technically makes it not a prototype. Anyway, the car in the pictures is the Mustang II. If you look closely at the pictures, you can see the production Mustang underlying the show car.

·
Registered
36,648 Posts
Isn't it amazing how the front fenders look like they were stolen from a '62 Buick?

·
Registered
10,062 Posts
I remember seeing that car at the Chicago Auto Show back in '63 or '64. It had a huge crowd around it, just like the Viper had a few years back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts