Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And no, I wasn't at HAN, although it would have been neat if I was. I went camping with the GF and her family at a place called Silver Lake. Its a bit west and south of South Lake Tahoe.

I insisted that her and I take the Mustang for the trip since it has never been up in the mountains before. We left Davis at around 1pm on friday. Holy hell, it was freakin hot!!! Her cousin went with us and said "it feels like we are driving by a giant hair dryer, only it never stops." Boy was she right.

Anyway, I had to adjust the idle speed twice on the way up, once in Placerville and once when we got there. It just didn't want to idle below 500rpm, so up it went. It did run fairly strong, even though I could really feel the drop in power as we climbed the hills. The temp stayed within an acceptable range too, but as soon as the cooling fans kicked on, they didn't kick off until we got there.

But overall it ran great. A little bit more of a power loss than I thought it would have at that altitude, but my GF was still having a blast when she was driving home. I hope all of those who went to HAN had the same good luck I did driving in that heat.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I had the same power loss you experienced in the Bronco.....
and yes the temp guage went up half way too...instead of the normal 1/8 of the way.

camping sounded like fun.....

HAN was pretty cool....although I was upset that my ride wasn't completed in time.....it will definitely be ready for the next Hot aug nights!!!

·
Banned
1,565 Posts
I hear ya. My 6 cyl was STARVING for air at those elevations. Even driving around Reno last week (~5000 ft) it was tough. Boy was it nice to get back down to sea level and actually be able to breathe/chew air.

Hey at least you had a V8 w/ more than 1 bbl. Altitude is rough.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
heh...try 12,000 ft in Colorado.....I-40 just before lenwood Springs outside of Denver.....you're almost vertical!!!!

truck sounded like it needed an inhaler!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts