Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the VMF. I've been looking for Mustang related forums for some time... I've no idea why I haven't found this before.

When I bought my '65 GT my goal was to make various modifications myself and learn from them. A few simple modifications later and I'm learning quickly that the jobs I want to do are far beyond my means and very junior skillset :crazy:

I'm looking for auto shops in the Bay Area (South Bay ideally) that current Mustang owners can recommend through their own experiences. The next job on my '65 will be a rear-suspension replacement/upgrade.

Is there already a list of recommended Bay Area (Nor Cal) Mustang auto shops?

I appreciate any recommendations you can give me.

Cheers, Ian

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
After looking at more of the work that was supposed to be done by Mustang Fever that they outsourced I am no longer recommending them, the work was very un-impressive.

I have to say though that the rear suspension is pretty simple! All you need is a jack, some good jack stands and some basic hand tools. I would be happy to walk through a step by step of the process. The money you save would buy you the tools and jack if you don't own one.

In my mind the only thing that stops people from being handy is desire. You found the best forum on the net, people here love to help. If you have the desire we'll help with the rest.

·
Administrator
13,016 Posts
Welcome to VMF! There are a couple in the East Bay too. ABC Mustang in Hayward (on Meekland) and Mostly Mustangs in Oakland. Both are great places with very knowledgeable guys who run the businesses. Highly recommend either one.
Stan

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Welcome to the VMF.

You will find that by and large this group likes to get their hands dirty and will freely share tips and suggestions on virtually every aspect of Mustang repair, modification and restoration. That being said, there are some jobs that for one reason or another can't be done in your driveway. In the south bay, I've used Bob over at Mustang Central (San Jose) for some things that I just am not equipped to handle. For used parts, Packy at Mustangs R Us (San Jose) is a great resource. For new parts(and to some extent used parts) Paul at Mustang Magic (Fremont) has an extensive knowledge base and can help guide you through the varying quality present in the repro market for the best quality parts as well as a good supply of NOS parts. There are others in the area but I have either not used them at all or, have not used them in quite a long time (Mustang Ranch in Santa Clara and Mustang Corral in San Jose are a couple that come to mind).

·
Registered
759 Posts
One more vote for Mustang Fever :)

But, as mentioned the rear suspension is not that bad. You can check out my webpage for some basic tech articles on stuff I did.

Or you can come join the DVMA. http://www.dvma.org
We try to have tech days as often as possible. All you need to do is join the club. Bring your car and parts over to a tech day and get ready to work. Usually 5 or 6 of us show up to help out.

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
A vote here for Mustang Magic in Fremont. Paul is very knowledgible about the cars and does lots of the cosmetic restorations in his shop. And there is an excellent mechanic right across the driveway named Carter's Auto Repair. Wayne specializes in Mustangs and is one of the few mechanics I would trust with my car. He's honest and very personable. He's willing to discuss in detail what he is doing with your car and provide you alternatives. I like his work so much I send family members to him. BTW, the rear suspension would probably be a snap for you to do at home. Get yourself a Chilton's manual and some jackstands and you can get the whole thing done in an afternoon.

·
Registered
742 Posts
again Mustang Fever!!! After my car was rear ended about 8 years back. Mustang Fever did all the parts repacement, body work, and paint

Mitch is very talented and can handle all phases of mustang repair. :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for your replies. I've certainly got the information I was looking for... I'll be getting my hands dirty real soon :)

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Ian,
Mustang Central in SJ is pretty good. They are very near Mustang Ranch. This is assuming you are looking for a shop that provides service.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you are just getting your feet wet with the chassis upgrades you should call Maier Racing and ask for Mike Maier. Here's the contact info:

22215 Meekland Avenue
Hayward, CA 94541

Suspension Division
Phone: 510-581-7600 Ext: 200

I called him the other day about Bilstein shocks, and we talked for about a half hour. He did a lot of on-track testing of springs and shocks within the past couple years and has come out with a new line-up of packages. His experiments cut three seconds off his lap times (and this is a guy who has won national championships in SCCA Solo II competition).

For future reference, Maier also makes fiberglass body parts.

I also recommend Mustang Magic in Fremont and Mostly Mustangs in Oakland. Mostly has been in business since the late '70's. For that matter, Bill Maier has raced Mustangs since the '68 SCCA Trans Am. And his neighbor, at ABC Mustang, also is very old school.

·
Administrator
13,016 Posts
Totally agree about Mostly Mustangs (Jack), ABC (Jerry) and Mike Maier. All of these are top notch Mustang experts!
Stan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mike Maier is awesome. After much wasted time and money he dialed in my suspension and talked me out of spending more money than needed. It drives like it should finally.

Glad to hear the post about Paul at Mostly Mustangs and the mechanic across the way.

·
Registered
138 Posts
There is, Mustang Brothers in San Bruno and Mustang City in Belmont. Mustang City has weird hours, wed to sat. only. These are the only two shops I know of on the San Francisco side.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Another vote for Mustang Ranch but you might also talk to Apex Motorsports in Santa Clara. I understand that they do some wild modifcations. I myself would encourage you to tackle as much of the work yourself, it's cheaper and more rewarding!

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'll give it up for Jack and Richard (haven't formally met their new younger helper there) at Mostly Mustangs. They have done 2 years of repair and restomod work to my '70 convertible, always at a fair price and with excellent quality. I'm lucky to have these guys within biking distance (bicycle) of both work and home. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts