Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello. just shoppin around and want other opinions.

what are some good stereos that work well in mustangs?

what kind of set up do you have?

thanks

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
67 Mustang?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes. sorry i forgot to mention it. its a 67.

and coldbeer i sure do too. but as a high school student you get bagged on for not having a stereo.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If I were in High School, I would get a modern stereo and mount it in the glovebox. Look up the replacement "kick panels" that have places for speakers. There are also package trays (the flat area behind the back seat, by the back glass assuming you have a coupe) that can take two 6x9's. Some of the old looking but modern internal head units are pretty pricey.

What is your budget?

PS - Resist cutting up your dash to install it, you'll probabaly hate yourself for it later. :)

Another idea would be to build a console out of plywood and cover it in black carpet, mount the modern DIN unit in that below your old radio....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the dash on my car came to me messed up anyways so i made my own out of wood. looks pretty nice. so what im saying is i can cut if necessary.

it does not have a radio or amp or anything. im starting from scratch

what exactly do i need to put in a stereo, speakers, and a sub that i picked up for free a couple months ago?

and i have quite a bit of money saved but im working for more.(Keep it reasonable

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
67/68 has the chrome plated casting that mounts on the dash. It's very flexible...you can modify it without screwing up the dash.

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
You can put anything you want in the 67 dash, there are even DIN types that come with their own bezel, to fit the large dash opening.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,614 Posts
This an older in-progress picture of the now outdated Kenwood Excelon I have in my '67. The face rolls completely over to reveal the controls and CD slot. I've always liked the blank face, it's a different and low key when turned off. I found a stereo bezel that had already been hacked somewhat by somebody else and just cut it out some more for the DIN radio. A bit tight but I believe you could pretty much fit any single DIN head unit you like. One with a flip-out LCD screen might be a problem though. One with more rounded corners on the faceplate would actually be a better fit than mine.

·
Registered
583 Posts
yea they have the one next to the defrosters in the dash,2 more for each kick panel, 2 in package tray, backseat driver: 2 10" subs wth a BOSS amp. that is about as FAR as i would go. umm i was thinking about later on trying the backseat driver. you can find it on most mustang parts site. It has 2 10" subs with BOSS amp and it is installed on a board that divided the seat and the trunk seat divideder (only works on coupe). and if you are missing your seat divider might as well right.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Coupe, fastback or vert? Coupe is easiest. If coupe you can modify the radio bezel (the chrome thing) to allow a DIN receiver. Put a pair of decent 6x9 speakers on the package shelf (cut to fit the 6x9s...I think the steel under the shelf has 6x9 holes).

Try Amazon, New Egg, ebay etc. Might even take a look at Crutchfield.com.

·
Registered
35,829 Posts
IIRC, the 67 rear panel has a single hole in the center for a 6x9.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,614 Posts
'67's have three holes in the metal package shelf. One in the center (where '68's got their optional rear defrosters installed I believe) and two regular speaker holes. Unfortunately the holes are a touch small to flush mount 6x9's in. You can use spacers to raise them a bit and they'll work. Or do like I did and hang them underneath for a stealth look. The 5x7/6x8 chassis speakers should fit fine. In all cases you have to cut the trim board back there but a new one is only like $10. I just drilled a lot of holes in mine and covered it with some acoustically transparent material that matches black nylon plush carpet, even though it looks gray in pictures.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I have a DIN Kenwood in my 65's dash, since it was already hacked up. I have been considering a USA 66 or Retrosound unit. If I had a 67-68 I would probably cut a repop bezel for a DIN radio as long as it lights up green.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I run a custom autosound retro radio with ipod connection and single speaker in dash and it works great and gets more then loud enough.

·
Premium Member
10,932 Posts
well they call me the breeze , i just keep blowing down the road ! i have a sanyo mar2280 in dash am/fm cassette that i pulled out of my last 65 b 4 i sold it and its going in my present 65. i have a pair of sony 6x9 speakers in those little wood boxes. oh and i bought that sanyo back in the mid 90's. everyhting i have is OLD even me !

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
AM Philco with one speaker in the dash, needless to say the exhaust note is my music.

+1 theres nothing sweeter than hearing a fine tuned motor crusing @ 3000 RPMs

1 - 20 of 20 Posts