Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help from someone who knows more about carburators than I do.

I was using the Mustang to teach my oldest daughter to drive a manual (mistake), after about 10 - 15 1st gear starts the car died and won't restart. It appears to be flooded. I can see and hear fuel pouring into the first 2 venturi with the car just sitting there. I am not turning the car over or moving the accelerater. It will do that basically until the bowl runs out of fuel. I let it sit for several minutes after the fuel quits gurgling and tried to start it again and the same thing.

Any suggestions. It is an edelbrock 4v carb.

It hasn't done this before. The car is sitting in the parking lot of my daughters school right now.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
You may have ruptured the power valve. I know it is an often inappropriately blamed item, but in the Holleys and Autolite/Motorcraft carbs, it sits in the bottom of the bowl. If the diaphragm has ruptured, all the fuel will drain out through the passages that empty directly into the primaries. I do not know it's placement in the Edelbrocks, but I imagine it is the same. Looks like a rebuild kit is in your future.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts