Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
19,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, MYTOYS has raised a good question regarding Mustang Times, so let's do an opinion poll. Two things are needed, however, to make this worthwhile. First, input is needed from MCA members specifically. Second, please put your MCA number in the post so the poll has validity and can be used more effectively. So here's the question:

What types of articles would you like to see in Mustang Times?

Please be specific and realistic. Mustang Times does not have the financial resources of Mustang Monthly, nor the staff. But let's hear what you like and dislike!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
MCA #50336

All Pace Car articles, all the time!!

Seriously, I think they do a pretty nice job selecting the articles (except that one last month on the Pace Car coupe in Oregon). I'm partial to those on the full restoration or untouched originals, but I know I'm in the minority.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
MCA #51520

I prefer articles on original vehicles or concours restored. There's far too much that you could do to a Mustang to make extended discussions worthwhile, IMO.

Steve

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
If you look at Mustang Times, you will notice that a majority of the articles written are written by either the editor or by the owners. If you wanna see resto mods, write up an article with pictures and send it in. I am currently writing one for GT350CLONE and it's twin for submission. I should have it done in the next few weeks and you will all get to preview it if you wish.

So for my feedback:

1) I don't think that it is necessary or beneficial to see the new member list. Just me, but what good does it do? There are two pages for more articles.

2) MCA should present different types of cars (thoroughbred, trailered, driven, street driven, daily driven, modified). MCA needs to publish instructions on submitting your own article, maybe that way people would tout their own cars. (Of course, this would probably cause some people to get miffed becuase their article (either the text or pictures) wasn't deemed good enough to make the publication.

3) MCA should do some reviews of Mustang related internet sites. Help us find good things to surf.

4) MCA should work on having some contributing editors to expand their staff. There are many different club newsletter editors out there (I'm one) who do have some experience and have written some good articles that could off load some of the burden on the current staff. Make it easy for me to get something published and I'll do it.

·
Registered
900 Posts
MCA# 47359

Laurie,

I realize that the magazine doesn't have the resources of MM or M&F, but it can capitalize on and try to cater to the interests and needs of its members/readers. I think some positive changes are already obvious and I suggest that they do more restoration/ restomod profiles and even how-to articles on simple stuff (door hinges, metal polishing, parts resto, etc.) that is always timely, even if its been done before by someone else. I'd rather see fewer pages that are packed with useful and interesting information than a lot of white space and fluff. Thanks for asking.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
MCA# 51647

I like 67Shelby's idea. Half the time when I'm reading an article about a car I don't know which class it is in. I'd like to see articles on Mustangs from each MCA jugdged class.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I'd like to read about some of the Mustangs racing in SCCA and IMSA. Maybe someone from one of the teams would like to write in and tell us about their season and what they are doing. Some Vintage Racing coverage would be great also.

MCA 45601

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
MCA# 20195.

How about articles on How To for some common restomods? i.e the T5 or AOD swap or the 5.0 conversion or the Stang II front suspension swap or..... you get the idea.
OR,
How about some articles on what it takes to judge "factory orginal" Mustangs. That whole "points" for the details of orginality could use some explaining
Love the idea of a late model section, Mustangs of all generations included in one magazine.

·
Administrator
13,026 Posts
I really enjoy seeing the progress reports/pics of people putting together their cars. It really doesn't make a difference if they are concourse or modified.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Laurie,

My 2 cents (MCA 46405, btw):
- I would like to see articles submitted by local groups that are NOT wholly about their shows. Tours, get togethers, how-to's, charity work, etc. would be great to see.
- Articles about resto-mods would be tremendous, but I agree with the previous thread in that there seems to be a HUGE bias against anything but unrestored, original Mustangs.
- I would also like to see profiles of cars from outside of Georgia (seems to be one every month.)

Thanks for asking!

Tom

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Well since I started this thing, I guess I should claify my postion.

I would like to see a nice mixture each month of cars both unreastored, concours restored, sligthly modified, and than the more extreme resto's.

I see no need to each month use two pages to welcome new members, most of us have allready seen our name in print so don't feel its a must and the extra two pages could fill one of the current voids.

I'd like to see an article of some type of how two, basic type with photo's.

I would like to see some racing coverage.

I would really like to see some monthly article encouraging new comers to take up an aspect of this hobby, be it Concours or resto or what ever, and perhaps something more to encourage kids thats the future lest we forget, hell even the shelby club sells kids tee shirts that are apprioiacte for them.

I realize M/T does not have budget of other Mags, But lets just basically repersent the CURRENT state of this hobby not hows its always been.

Last but not least, Lets feature some car's events, happenings even obits that are out of the great state of GA.

Mark MCA #48850

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Actually, I thought the most recent issue was the best in a long time. The how-to articles geared toward the budget hobbyist are helpful. Some particularly useful articles might be on how to dye or paint interior parts, color-coding of different interior areas compared to exterior colors (in other words, what's correct), etc.

MCA #47518

G

·
MCA# 52185 really really new!

I read just two issues so far.

So far I have noticed that the real emphasis is on concours correct and I would like to see more restomod stuff.

How about some articles on just getting your daily driver to survive. The less glamorous aspects about maintainance and repair that don't make the glossy magazines. Rust repair, how to fix the hacked out radio hole in a '66,...

I agree with others that member articles could fill up space well. A small paragraph in the front ofthe issue to detail how a member would go about submitting an article.

I also didn't care for the new members list. If known, I would have opted out and not had my name published.

I understand that this is a club magazine and cannot (and should not) compete with commercial publications. Perhaps as I read it more, I will develop a taste for the style and content.

Michael

·
Premium Member
5,337 Posts
If they are going to publish the new members list, can they put them in order by city.

I like articles on how to restore the more difficult areas like pitted vent windows. I like "how to" articles. I liked the one on alignments. How bout articles on project cars showing status and progress. I agree that restomods have a place, but would like to see more on concourse correct cars, for example, where do all the stickers go in the engine compartment. MY.02

G

·
When it comes down to it, the Mustang Club of America is a regional club that pretends to be a National club. 90% of the meets take place in the South East. There are only two reps for the West. The article revolve around cars that are located in the South East area. There is zero West Coast Coverage. They need to dump some of the close minded board members. I would really like to see a breakdown of where my membership dues go. They used to have the rules posted on the net. Thats no longer done, now you have to pay for them, what a joke. They talk about the large membership yet they complain about the shortage of money.

I could go on about this issue, but I have decided to devote my time and efforts in clubs that will benefit me more like SAAC or NORCAL Shelby club which has a more global mind set.

Morgan

G

·
Since I have an uncanny ability to people off I guess I can post this here. Some I agree with, some I don't. I liked the way Super Ford covered racing, took a half page. I also think we need to encourage the young to get interested. As for the members list, it needs to be dumped, sooner the better. As for late models? MCA is about CLASSIC Mustangs, not ANY mustangs. MY OPINION is Ford hasn't made a Mustang since 1973! Also there's way too many resto-mod cars out there & too many people will get mad if they see someone's car in print that's not as nice as theirs. I too feel as though someone needs to inform members about article submission, perhaps a seperate mailer by request? Now... as for M/T's having a main interest in "survivor" cars? I have seen one other than mine! There seems to be little or no interest in the market or in the public about pristine unrestored cars! I'm not saying M/T does a bad job, they need to seek out the cars they want, not just wait for someone to drop it in their collective laps. As a whole & as a club mag I feel only small changes need done, it's a good rag, BUT, they do omit a lot of local shows/clubs such as mine & they do need to get to the coast, they don't even get to this area(Tulsa)often! I do feel as though they owe the members, one a year, a geographical break down of membership by state, then perhaps they can branch out a little at a time.
70 Cyclone Spoiler 429 SCJ 4:30 Drag-pak
65 Mustang show car one-owner Un-restored
65 Mustang one-owner
66 Mustang 8-second street legal drag car
90 GT next drag car
68 Hurst Olds 455 4-speed
86 SVO
85 Porsche 944
98 Jeep Wrangler
95 F-150
76 20' E-350 motor home
Too many parts cars to mention

·
Registered
5,196 Posts
MCA #51040

I'd like to see more CARS, modified, restored, untouched, you name it. I'd much rather see 10-12 1-page "mini-features" covering a variety of vintage cars - maybe even 1 or 2 unique late-models. I don't care for the "formula" many of the other mags try to follow - 1 each 65/66, 67/68, 69/70, 71-73, and late-model. Let's not be limited by quota, but by quality. I'm tired of hearing "there's too many 65/66 cars in our archives already, if you had a 73, we'd love to do a feature....." (other mags, not MT).

Let's hear some of the unusual stories out there also.Limited production stuff, lost & found "first" cars, unusual history, etc. I'd love to see some short "news briefs" also, like "What's the REAL story on that $150 valvestem cap?".

M/T needs to find it's own niche for tech articles. Don't give us the same "How to install a Flaming River Steering Box" that all the other mags run. Tell us how to troubleshoot/rebuild our own. Give us judging tips, guidelines, rules, perspectives, overviews. Tell us what a tech inspection is REALLY going to include. Show examples.

How about following a 1st class professional resto from start to finish in 12 monthly steps? Show us how Charles Turner REALLY does it..../forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Every local club should be sending newsletter to M/T for possible submission of "their" articles for M/T use. Think of the info/articles you could collect from 100 local newsletters.

Finally, I'm NOT bashing M/T or MCA. You asked for ideas. I realize that they have a very limited budget, but there are a lot of people who would be glad to "help" write their monthly issues - just let them!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts