Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had several requests for drawings of the mustang trailer hitch, so I thought I would post it here. I use the hitch to tow the car around the shop and.... down the road occasionally. The best use is for lifting the front end up with forklift head on our loader. It is a very easy job to work under the car that way. I do place a safety post under the loader frame and one under the car hitch as a safety prop.

Basically the hitch is made from common iron materials and is welded with 7018AC rod. Four bolts hold it in place to the bumper frame bracket mounting holes. I use a pin type hitch setup, although a ball hitch end would fit well. I will reposition the crank to the center becuase it lifts the car lopsided so I use a handyman jack when hooking to the pickup. There is a lot of tongue weight on the end so one needs to be carefull hooking it up. I certainly wouldn't recommend it if there is an engine inside. But you could drive the car then, hehe. It will hold the front end well with the front suspension attached though.

Sorry about the small image drawing size, the quality is better when printed out. Please feel free to ask any questions. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Very cool indeed, Dan. Think I might build one of these just for the fun of it!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I spent about six hours total time building the hitch. It has served me well for the last year. One thing to remember is the wide channel parallel to the radiator support needs to be there to prevent the hitch from flexing. That wide cross channel piece is what gives the hitch its strength, not the V-frame members.

G

·
0 Posts
Good invention if you dont break your pony of that bad habit all its gonna wanna do in the future is follow your truck around just kidding interesting

G

·
0 Posts
..."Good invention if you dont break your pony of that bad habit all its gonna wanna do in the future is follow your truck around just kidding interesting "

Funny thing came to my mind after I read that last post:

My wife and I have three horses and often times we laugh at some of them because they are the perfect trail horses. They always follow each other "nose-to-butt" and this is the same mental image which comes to mind here...

·
Premium Member
3,651 Posts
Ya and if you make it a pivoting hitch right where it meets the rad support, than a guy can tow it down the road with wheels on it.???

1 - 6 of 6 Posts