Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
While my '66 coupe (289-2v C code) is still in the final stages of its restoration process, I'm considering converting to dual exhaust. It's realy for cosmetic reasons and not for power gain (I like the look of the exiting rear trumpets). Several dealers offer conversion kits, among which are Mustangs Unlimited (MU) and Virginia Clasic Mustangs. MU is closest. Now,has anyone ordered and instaled Mustang Unlimited's GT STYLE dual exhaust kit (Kit # C5ZZ5257CRK 01)? This kit appears to be quite complete (H-Pipe, mufflers & resonators, trupets, etc.) with the exception of the rear GT valance & brake conversion kit. I'm concerned about about ease of instalation, fit and noise level (its for a daily driver and I don't want to go deaf)... Anyone "been there, done that" with this MU GT kit? thanks for your comments
Phil

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello Phil:

I've been here and done this... (about 15 months ago)
My 66 vert was originally a 'C' coder and had single exhaust.
The PO had had a 'makeshift' dual exhaust system installed. I tore that system out and installed the kit form Virginia Classic Mustang. Except for the new 'H' pipe, everything fit together well and appeared to be of good quality. That 'H' pipe, when bolted to the manfolds, didn't sit parallel to the drive shaft. When we fitted the mufflers with their welded 'forward' pipes, the whole system was shifted to one side! Fortunately, my existing 'H' pile was fine to re-use and a little torch heat separated the old 'forward' pipes. I returned the mal-formed 'H' pipe.
To be honest, the
new system (with resonators) is actually noiser than the old (which didn't have resonators). I thought the resonators would quiet it down. I don't have a tach, but it drones the most between 35-45. Above 50, it has a pleasant tone. I bought the hanger/clamp kit and had to
locate & drill holes for the new correct muffler hangers.
And yes, I just rebuilt the entire brake system and installed the new front-rear line, rear lines & rear hose.

At some time in the future, I will probably go with a custom
system since I would like it quieter..

Hope this information helps...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
heed Paul's advice. You definitely need to get new brake lines for the rear, or the new exhaust will melt through the exhisting ones. NPD has a nice section in their catalog that shows you exactly what to get in order to do this swap. I would think the ones you mention might as well.

I would also suggest that unless you are trying to recreate a concours type setup, that you let a good exhaust shop create for you a setup from the manifolds (headers?) back. Alignment of the prefabbed stuff is always a PITA. Cheers!
-

·
Registered
810 Posts
It's a really great sounding exhaust. I have the GT setup (C5ZZ-5230) with long tube headers and turn-down tips. Fit is good, but it does take some fabrication to get everything lined up. It's nice in that if you are just putting around town, it can stay tame and fairly quiet. But, if you have an engine that can really put out the revs, and you let it wind out, you'll hear it very well.

You can use it for a daily driver, it's about as loud as a flowmaster system - maybe a just little quieter. It will sound healthy, though.

I went to pick up SWMBO from yoga class in it once, and the car distracted all the students from their 'relaxation pose' /forums/images/icons/blush.gif.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just put this system on my car. I bought it from VA Mustang. The front pipes and mufflers fit perfectly, using an old Ford H-pipe, but the rear pipes were too close to the body. Had to make a couple of adjustments with wood blocks and a hydraulic press. The passenger side resonator still does not align properly, but it is hard to see. Also used new hangers. I do not have the GT valance, so used the standard down turned pipes. In hind site, I would have also bought the special clamps for the down turns, as the clearance between the clamp and gas tank is very close with a standard clamp.

This system is much quieter than what I had, but still has some of the reverberations about 45 mph

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all those who answered my post. I'll probably order the kit and will let you know how it worked out.
Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts