Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going through some of my collected parts and was wondering what they were. I have a rear out of a 79 Granada. I think it is a 8.8" for leaf springs. Anyone know how to tell the 8.8" from whatever else Ford made in 79? It was an I6 car (250). It looks to big to be the 7.5" like my 6 cylinder 66 Mustang.

Also I was looking for a spare Dura-spark ignition box for my 66. I found one on the 83 crown vic with 3 and 2 wire connectors on it, mine has 4 and 2. Also on the 84 crown vic there is a totally different disributer and no box. Anyone know what this system is called. It has a good size connector on the front of the disributer. I know I can't use either in my car but was wondering what they were. I did find one that was the same, it was on an 87 460 truck.

·
Registered
967 Posts
IIRC the 79 granada's would have a 7.5 (like your stang), an 8 inch or a 9 inch rear. In 1980 or 1981 they switched platforms and it could by 8.8 inch. Does it have a removable front carrier? If it is removable front carrier than it would be either an 8 or 9.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
That '83 Crown Victoria uses what Ford called the Duraspark 3. It uses a crank trigger. The idea was good and all, with the crank trigger, but the computer map is not good at all and was replaced with the Duraspark 4 in later years. In order to use it you need to go to all the computer control, that distributor, the front cover and the ballancer which will only work on the 50oz ballance 5.0 crankshaft. Not worth the trouble IMHO.

IIRC the rear in a '79 Granada is a 8.8, in '79 they started building the Granada on the Fox chassis just like the mustang. It should have coil springs. Are you sure it's not a '78?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was a 79. But it had leaf springs. The rear cover is about 12" wide and 11/11.5" tall. If it was the 8.8" I wanted to save it. Of coarse the tag is rotted and can't be read in the middle. Thanks for the help.
I am guessing the 84 with the different distributer is the one with the crank trigger? Also that might be a 50oz balanced 302 ?

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope its not an 8" or 9" I have both of those in my other cars. This does not have the removable center section. It looks as big as the one in the Crown Vic.
Why couldn't Ford keep these parts simple for the simple minded like me?

Thanks for helping me with this.

I posted a couple of pictures of the rear end on my website at http://groups.msn.com/Myhtrd/71cougarparts.msnw?Page=1

1 - 5 of 5 Posts