Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,354 Posts
Maybe 15 years later one or two more have exploded?

How do these old threads get found, lol.
And join just to comment?

Reactions: Israel

·
Registered
35,975 Posts
While it has happened, death by shark bite or even lightning is much more common.

Hollywood is part of the problem. I have seen perhaps a dozen car fires (no Mustangs) and what they do is - burn. Stock in trade for movies and TV is cars hitting something, rolling, etcetera, then ka-BOOM!

The standard formula for this is three sticks of dynamite, and five gallons of rubber cement. The dynamite for the boom, and the rubber cement for the nasty ugly fireball. Gasoline won't do, because it barely shows up when filmed.

What's tragic is so many people believe cars explode that in the aftermath of accidents, bystanders drag the injured out of cars, making their internal and spinal injuries much worse. Unless the car is on fire, leave them where they are and let competent medical personnel move them.

·
Registered
1967 Convertible Shelby clone
34 Posts
I have no experience with rear end collisions (fortunately) but I have replaced a few gas tanks. One problems with the design of the Mustang gas tank is the rubber hose that connects the filler neck with the tank. Over a few decades, the rubber morphs to become like brittle plastic that will crack. I have wondered why someone has not produced a modern one piece plastic tank with the neck and tank in one piece.

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts

·
Vendor
3,907 Posts
I spent many a weekend back in the 70's with my dad, walking through Florida and Georgia junk yards, and relieving every Mustang we could find of their rust-free doors LOL.. So if you're from the southeast, and wondered why every Mustang in every junkyard was doorless, well, there ya go. It was him. He had quite a burgeoning used door business back then.

Anyhow, I saw plenty of classic Mustangs that had been demolished in all sorts of ugly/nasty/high-impact ways. But never saw a burnt one.

FWIW, I think more Teslas have exploded in wrecks than classic Mustangs, but that doesn't seem to be slowing sales down. I can't hardly swing a cat without hitting a Tesla on the road these days, and it's not as if Ocala is some sort of swinging boom-town. ;)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Some of you might have read my post a few days ago about a close call with a cell phone driver who almost rear-ended me. This prompted me to start looking into a fuel cell to replace me stock tank. Then it occurred to me that while I've always heard that the stock setup is dangerous, I've also not heard of one blowing up in a collision. While it would make some sense that since the tank is bolted to the trunk floor it might be more prone to rupturing in a collision than a tank that is strapped under the trunk floor. And having the inlet tube in the back may also make the tank more vulnerable. But, most cars had/have their tanks in the back, and all inlet tubes are vulnerable wherever they are if they get hit. So is this design really that dangerous, or has it gotten blown out of proportion? Hit me with some facts, because I'd rather put the money into something more fun, like horsepower!
I think that your chances are better to be struck by lightning while being attacked by a Great White while in your back yard pool . . . . well almost!

Reactions: Redneckgearhead

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Jim,
The phrase "blowing up" is a bit overstated. The information comes from the insurance industry dated back to the late 60's. Many cars including the Mustang were subjected to impact testing from various angles. Today they are refered to as crash testing. The main difference between the two is that back then they actually used two cars to crash into each other.
The Ford folks in an effort to satisfy the insurance industry issued a "potential safety notice" which outlined the possibility of fuel "entering the rear of the passenger compartment".
There was never any explosions from any tests conducted. Interestingly, it was the FB model that suffered the worst in these test. This is what was brought to the surface again a few years ago in a Primetime television report about exploding gas tanks. (in pickups)
The '60's info was dug up to bolster the claim that automakers (not just Ford) knew about these "safety issues" many years ago.

Essentially, any car has the potential for this to occur, not just ours. If it's a concern, spend a few bucks and rest easier.

6f09k
Not surprising in the least that it was the fastbacks that had the issue...there is no separation between the fuel tank and passenger compartment like there is on the coupe and convertibles.

To answer the original question though...there are zero cars that the fuel tank will explode in the event of a rear end collision, full stop. Gasoline only explodes when it is confined in a space in the correct concentration as a gas, so the term "exploding" is never applicable unless the tank is near empty and hit absolutely perfectly. There are MANY cars that when the fuel tank is ruptured will spill gas and any spark will ignite it. Cars of the 60s were more prone to this than later cars because the fuel tank was located behind the rear axle. Later on, when fuel tanks were moved further forward it became less of an issue....but even modern cars have the possibility of this happening even today, but since it has been mitigated by strapping the tanks below the floor pan rather than installing them through the top of the floor pan you don't hear about it as often.

Just because it happened a few times in Ford's testing and in a few accidents though does not mean there is any real danger of this happening. If you have a fastback, the peace of mind may be worth buying tank armor...otherwise I wouldn't bother. Cars of all eras(including electric cars) catch on fire in accidents, it may be a few percent more likely with a vintage car, but that is all.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
462 Posts
Maybe 15 years later one or two more have exploded?

How do these old threads get found, lol.
Right? Using the search on this forum using the correct wording never brings up the most recent LOL. I go and Google what I am looking for with "vintage Mustang" in the search and get better results.

Chris

21 - 29 of 29 Posts