Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey - I'm new here. Nice to meet y'all, you can call me Skippy. I'm here because I'm shopping for a Mustang convertible. Always wanted one and I'm due a midlife crisis car so by god I'm getting one.

Anyway, I've been loitering here a couple days. While I'm sure there are a lot of mature people here, it's also obvious a lot of y'all weren't driving when these old 'stangs were new.

My first car was a 64 1/2 with the small 6 and a 3 speed. Bought it for $400 in 1972 and sold it for $400 a couple years later. My first car coming home from the army was a 69 Fastback (what's with this 'sportroof' business? We never called them that). Bought for $1600 in 1978, traded in on a new Subaru in 1980 (biggest car-related mistake of my life).

So, for the last 23 years I have been Mustang-less. A couple years ago I purchased another youthful ambition when I got my Honda CBX. Now I'm ready for the Mustang. Don't need a ton of advice (yet) - I know what I like.

How many old-timers are here? How many remember when a '60's Mustang was not collectible?

http://www.techquarium.com/carpics/64%20Mustang.jpg
My first car. Yes, that's 4 bolt to 5 bolt adaptors on the rear end so I could have big tires. I had a lift kit on the springs because I couldn't afford air shocks.

http://www.techquarium.com/carpics/69Mustang.jpg
My 69 Fastback - I loved that car - solid as a rock. Drove it to California (from Kansas) many times with total repair of 1 water pump. It was a 302 2V. I added the hood scoop.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
My first memory of Mustangs was back in the early 70's when a friend of my brothers came over with his Shelby...I think it was a '66 vert. Man I thought that was the $hit! That started it for me....loved 'em ever since. I guess I was about 13 years old then. Finally bought my first one last year....and it will be several more before I get to drive it :(.

·
Registered
288 Posts
My father bought a Candy Apple red 289-4v, 4sp, factory AC 66' Coupe new. I was only in diapers but I have seen pictures with the car and I vaguely remember him still having it when my parents divorced when I was 7. :(

The first one I owned was a 1965 289-2v, 3sp Coupe in 1982. I have owned so many sense.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
My first encounter with a Mustang was April 17, 1964. A college friend of mine had the money to buy one. We visited the dealer who had a red vert on the showroom floor. Don't know which version of red. BTW I liked the galaxy 500 better. So what did I know?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
welcome aboard Skippy!!

I am one of the "younger" VMFers here weighing in a svelt (sp?) 51 years of age. I remember Mustangs VERY well, and in fact, attempted to buy a new 1970 Boss 302 when I graduated from high school in 1970. Unfortunately, I had a draft number of 26 and most if not all dealerships would even talk to me about financing without a cosigner. So into the US Air Force I went and ended up staying 22 years. Over the many, many years I have owned a LOT of Mustangs. My current stable (downsized) is at 12 - 3 65/6 fastbacks and the other 9 composed of 69/70 convertibles and fastbacks, the most notable being my (FINALLY) 70 Boss 302 that I got for FREE over 20 years ago from my best friend. Do I remember when Mustangs weren't "collectable"??? HELL YES!! But I also remember the first BIG musclecar boom that included the Mustang back in the late 1980s until the big "crash" in the early to mid 1990s.....

The Mustang has grown from "used car" status to an international ICON - people from all corners of the globe want a Mustang - its getting to the point there simply aren't enough to go around (unless you have deep, deep pockets)....

don't wait too long for that Mustang - life is short and owning a Mustang makes it that much more enjoyable...

randy

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,586 Posts
I got my first driver's license in my folks' one year old 67 Mustang...does that count?

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
January 1972, 1965 Mustang convertible, $400, including the 6-cyl., 3-speed stick. Yep, been there, done that. In 1976, I paid $250 for a 65 A-code, 4-speed convertible rust bucket which I later traded in on a '69 Grand Prix Model J. But I was young and stupid. If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have kept the $600 '68 Cougar XR-7 I bought in late 1975 when I got out of the Navy.

But, I've made up for it since then. <grin>

·
Registered
120 Posts
Welcome Skippy,
Bought my first car in the summer of 1973. A black jade 1969 Mach 1 428CJ that I paid for myself. It was my high school ride and I loved every minute owning it. I got talked into trading it on a 1970 Mach 1 351C 2v, gas price and mileage being the driving factor in 1977. Still kick myself to this day on that one.

·
Registered
10,174 Posts
Back in 1965, my dad brought home this 65 Galaxie 2 dr. I thought, at least it had the roof all the NASCAR racers were using then. It was red. He only kept it the weekend. I don't even remember taking a ride in it.
A year later, he came home with a 66 Mustang. 289 2bbl, auto, dark green, pony interior, coupe. He'd take me out in the country (10 miles south of Chicago) and pull over to let me drive it. I was 14 1/2 at the time. When I got my license, I could use the car. No paying for insurance, no gas money, just go. Man, did that move me to the front of the line with the girls.
When I was 16, I bought a used 65 Mustang. Medium blue with white interior. 289 2bbl, 3 speed. Sold it 2 years later.
In January 1971, I bought my 67 GT 350...for $1500. A half hour after I bought it, I was pulled over by the police because I had no plates on it. He told me to take it home. It is still home.

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Welcome the for family! This is a great place to be.

Let's see...

My first Mustang was a '66 coupe w/289 backed by a 3-speed manual. I got it for $100.00 of a guy that thought he'd blown the engine up. It was just a head gasket. I sold it a year later for $400.00.

My second Mustang was a '65 that I got out of a wrecking yard for $100.00. I put a freshly rebuild 289 and C4 in it at that time and drove it home. I eventually put a toploader in it, which I paid $150.00 for, complete, from the same wrecking yard. I sold the car a year later for $400.00

My third Mustang was a '66 coupe with Pony interior, 3-speed manual, 289-4v and styled-steel wheels. I bought it off a used-car lot for $1300.46. They had been asking $2995.95. I only had to walk out four times to get them down where I wanted them. I put a big-block toploader in it, but forgot to put the extended pilot bushing in it, so it never quite worked right. My ex-wife got this one as part of the deee-vorce.

All three of the above cars were in Hawaii. I was 18 (~1976) for the first one, 20 for the second and about 25 for the third.

I waited a good long time for my current Mustang ;)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
But I also remember the first BIG musclecar boom that included the Mustang back in the late 1980s until the big "crash" in the early to mid 1990s.....
Bosscars, you were born just a few years late to get in on the BIG musclecar boom. My recollection was that it started in about 1962 with the 406 Fords & 409 Chevys. By 1964 we had the 427 Fords/Chevys and the spine jamming 426 Hemi's. I once saw a Thunderbolt run at a local dragstrip. It was a 63 or 64 Ford Fairlane with the 427, and was strictly for racing. That one was pretty scary too. The engineering was somewhat Neanderthal with some of these cars, but the raw tqe and horsepower was unbelievable. I kind of lost interest in the "performance" cars by mid 70's, shortly after the time even Ford gave up on the Boss engines. Detroit had detuned most cars so much by that time, I just could no longer garner any interest. Besides that, they all started looking alike to me. Now, they really look alike. :) Used to be I could identify any car by just getting a glimpse of any small part of it. Now, I have to get up close enough to see what the badge says.

When the first Mustangs came out, they were kind of Henry Ford's attempt to emulate the Model T, where they tried to make a car everyone could afford. I remember the Chrysler dealer in our town immediately bought one and sat it on their used car lot in an attempt to discredit the Mustangs. That was the first one that I ever saw. My current driver is the only one I've ever owned, having purchased it in 1979. Have to admit that I owned the car for quite a few years before gaining a lot of appreciation for it. When I started driving it in 1989 as my primary mode of transportation the respect for it really began to grow. Now, it's part of the family.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Hi ya Skippy,

My first car was also a 64.5 coupe, got it in 71 for $800 when I was a junior in HS. Fast forward 30 years and I purchased a much newer model (67 fastback). I wonder what I'll be driving in 2031 (probably a wheelchair *LOL*). In any case, welcome aboard.

Lou

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm fulfilling my mid-life crisis now too. In a few months I'll be the big FIVE OH. I first drove in my cousin's new 65 Mustang and loved them sinse. Though I grew up driving and restoring 57 Chevys, Camaros, Nova SSs, Chevelle SSs I wanted to do something different so I got my first Mustang a few months ago because of that ride with my cousin and I am glad I did. My wife of 28 years is in to it too. It means a lot when you can share your midlife crisis with your life long mate. I'm glad you are joining the "club"!

·
Administrator
19,503 Posts
The 1968 coupe in the picture below is my first car, bought by my dad for me on the Ford employee plan on June 6, 1968, and kept ever since. The 1968 fastback is my third Mustang, also bought for me by dad, but 30 years later. I won't mention the 1974 Mustang II Ghia that we used to have, because that doesn't count. ;)

Welcome to VMF! ::

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, since I will be 42 next week, obviously I wasn't driving vintage Mustangs when they were new, but my dad sure liked them. He was too practical though. He finally bought a 69 Cougar XR-7 in late 70. Only kept it a year. Then he bought a 67 Mustang Coupe and kept it until my mom threw her back out getting my little sister out of the back seat in 73.

Although I loved Mustangs from the first time I knew what they were, the fire was truly ignited when I saw a brand new red 69 Mach in the Cheyenne, Wyoming, Safeway parking lot on a rainy spring night back in 69. It looked so shiny and cool under the parking lot lights, with its taillights glowing. That, at age 7, was it for me. Although I had 68 fastback for two years in college, two fox body GT's, a 94 Cobra and the 01 Cobra, I did not get the 69 until one year ago this week. The dream lives.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Ill do you one better
i had the 4 to 5 bolt adapters on the back too,vintage 1969, used them on my 65 6cyl 3speed fastback, but
i still got them in the garage ,interested?
sorri sold the fastback somewhere around 1972
i had big ole redlines on the back, didnt have the money for another set for the front.
30 years later...i got my 65 fastback in the garage again,
this time a 289 and less rust than the one i had back then.
this time ill bury the fastback with me or give it to my grandson, but i wont sell it.

oh yah, some crazy a** fool let me drive his NEW 66 gt350 back in 1966 ,it had some guys name on the glove box door, and real nice bucket seats,a 4 speed, somehow it was really really nice compared to my 6 popper, and really really fast
(i was 16) boy it stuck to the road like glue , until i hit the gravel on the blacktopped corner. 360 degree spin and no damage, boy was that guy dum.
And me, im older now but no wiser.

·
4,129 Posts
Welcome Skippy! I did take a brief moment to check out your webpage and I see why you call yourself bodypainter. :eek: It does not offend me in the least :: however some might get there panties in the bunch if your were to post any of your artwork. :p But any way welcome to the forum. ::

I remember Mustangs driving the streets before I was old enough to realize that every year a new body style was introduced. So when I first started seeing the '69 model year I did not like the 4 headlights and wondered why people would buy them and not the one with just the 2 headlights. :: But I did like the ones that had the smaller lights in the grill. :: Oh I was so young and naive. Oh and I remember seeing these Mustangs from the back seat of our '59 Tbird. ::
When my uncle was drafted we "kept" his 67 coupe for him. We had to give it back 2 years later when he got out. :( (Uncle Jim was very lucky and did not go overseas) But I was smitten with that Mustang and wanted it someday. I did not get it, but I did get this one. http://images.cardomain.com/member_img_a/247000-247999/247994_8.jpg It was painted Vintage Burgandy with all of the chrome like Uncle Jims. But is was a 6cyl auto and when I learned about V8 engines and 4speeds I found the one in my sig and have had it since 10/75. fd

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
that remark was in reference to the first LARGE climb in values of the 1960s/early 70s era musclecars. Actually, at the age of 14/15, I was helping Randy Beatty's dad in the pit who ran a 63 1/2 R-code Galaxie in B/Stock at the then multitude of drag strips here (then) in Southern California - not old enough to drive yet, but certainly to be involved and to REMEMBER....

randy ;)
;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Fresh out of college I bought a calypso coral Mach brand new right off the lot about this time of year in 1969, paid about $4000. Could have bought a maroon Shelby GT500 vert at that time for an additional $1500 or so. Loved that car and babied it until 1975 when the real babies outgrew it. I always recall beginning about '73 guys were always after me to sell it to them and I didn't know why, obviously they knew more than I what was to come. Finally traded it in and it was in like new condition for a Ford 100 van, sacrifices one makes for the family. Last I heard about a year later some country boy had bought it and blew the motor.
I finally got my Shelby last year through luck or fate, a gorgeous maroon 69 GT350 fastback which cost me 10 times more than the GT500 vert back in the day.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
First ride in a Stang - 1964 as a high school jr.
First owned Stang - 1967 200 coupe in Sept. '67
Yeah I remember them when they weren't collectable but they have always been classics in my opinion!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts