Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard today that Mustangs Only, in San Jose, California, closed it's doors last night. Apparently they lost their lease.

There is talk that they may be back, but they don't have a new location to move to at this time.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
hate to see any business go out of business. I keep thinking of opening my own one of these days. Then again i believe in capitalism. So let us know if they have a going out of business sale.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
That's a real shame.

I lived and worked in San Jose a few years ago, and stopped by Mustangs Only on my lunch hour one day. I was a regular customer of Mustang Fever at the time because it was closer to my house. I was surprised to find out that the owner of Mustang Fever (Chris Jilg) once worked there at Mustangs Only.

I don't remember the owner's name, but he took the time to come out and brag on my car (even though he knew I wasn't going to buy anything). He gave me 2 t-shirts and a package of interior screws for the '65 fastback I had at the time, completely free of charge.

I was so impressed with his attitude, that I later dropped off the fastback to have the harmonic balancer replaced. Long story short, it didn't cure the vibration I was having; so I was only charged for the part - labor was free.

I certainly hope they do re-open. Although I'm now in a different state, we need good, trustworthy, friendly shops like them.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
From your recount, if MO closed for more reasons than losing their lease, one that comes to my mind is that some people are great people but just not good at business. I've seen this many times in my business career.

I'm right on the border of that, but my instinct for self-preservation keeps me solvent. I figure if I make a good living now, someday I'll be able to do this for free and really begin to enjoy life *G*

Hopefully, it'll just be a lost lease and they'll be back up in no time.... Ã

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
I was there a number of months ago and spoke with the owner. IIRC, as she was giving me a tour of the facility, she told me that her husband had died and left the business with a considerable debt load to service. She may have come to the point that it wasn't worth it from a profit perspective to keep a sinking shop afloat. In any event, it's always sad to see a small business go under, especially one that caters to Mustang addicts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts