Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350-Tribute Restomod. 2019 Shelby GT350.
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's an item that may be of interest to the Restomod folks. My '65 Fastback has the seat pans relocated lower & further aft to improve leg-room and head-room. When using a racing harness, it's a long reach to shift the transmission into 1st and 3rd. I am considering this remote shifter as a possible remedy.

MustangsPlus is taking reservations for their "Speed Shift" Remote Shifter. This product was available a few years ago (and discussed in this forum 10+ years ago), but went out of production for a while. MustangPlus will build more if they get enough reservations.

Jim

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have been running one for a few months. Noticed they weren't being made anymore so I kept an eye out for one on ebay and cl. I really like it. Much better position and shorter throw than the long bar alternative...

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
I like the one I came up with myself. On the road for about 10K miles now and still no adjustments required. Search for the thread titled "Remote Short-Throw Shifter" if curious. That Mustangs Plus shifter has been out of production for what, 5-7 years? People were selling them used should tell you something, the base for them isn't substantial to trust long-term I've read, not to mention they look wonky. Mine can be covered up with a custom console so it doesn't show:

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Made my own as well. It's one of the best mods I have ever made. Shifts like a completely modern car. And I can customize every aspect of how it feels, height, throw, reach etc.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I will certainly let people in this thread know how it holds up. I have gone 1000 miles without issue so far. As far it looking “wonky”, I think it’s the best looking option I’ve seen so far for someone who isn’t hiding it with a console. I wouldn’t mind hiding it though.

·
Registered
5,183 Posts
I moved my seat back almost 4" as well. I'm guessing you have a T5 or what? I got a Pro5.0 short shifter and added a Hurst handle and it solved my reach problems(both from fleabag for about $100). If you look through the selection of Hurst handles you will see some pretty extreme offsets to add reach, especially in ones meant for Mopars. cut it down and drill two holes, BAM. Extra reach.
KIMG1615.jpg

I must take the worst photos EVER!

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
I have one waiting for install. I intend to flip the long bar over or fill the "Restomod" machined label and powdercoat the whole thing wrinkle black to make it a little more subtle. It wouldn't be hard to reproduce them. I like your design @4ocious. Nicely done.

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
Made my own as well. It's one of the best mods I have ever made. Shifts like a completely modern car. And I can customize every aspect of how it feels, height, throw, reach etc.

Post up a picture of your design?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
I moved my seat back almost 4" as well. I'm guessing you have a T5 or what? I got a Pro5.0 short shifter and added a Hurst handle and it solved my reach problems(both from fleabag for about $100). If you look through the selection of Hurst handles you will see some pretty extreme offsets to add reach, especially in ones meant for Mopars. cut it down and drill two holes, BAM. Extra reach.
View attachment 748772

I must take the worst photos EVER!

While the handle certainly solves reach problems, the problem is the plane you are shifting in is all wrong, its angled instead of flat...it just feels wrong. When I put a T5 into my swapped RX7, the kit I used came with a shifter extension but it made the driving experience extremely unpleasant because of the plane issue...so I made my own using a bolt-in ball-joint as a base and a connector similar to several of the ones above, which solved the problem.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Post up a picture of your design?
I actually do have a 1:1 scale drawing I made so others could make their own. But it is of course on a drive in my office, which is under lockdown :(

But it was pretty straight forward if you want any details.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I actually do have a 1:1 scale drawing I made so others could make their own. But it is of course on a drive in my office, which is under lockdown :(

Hey, this is essential travel. Get over there. ;)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I would love to honestly, would kill for a change of scenery right not. Yesterday was 3 weeks of isolation for me :( I mean, I can only clean the garage so many times. LOL

·
Registered
729 Posts

Yes! Details please!

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
I would do anything else possible to not have THAT in my interior. Wow. Geeze.

·
Premium Member
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350-Tribute Restomod. 2019 Shelby GT350.
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would do anything else possible to not have THAT in my interior. Wow. Geeze.
Fair enough. Would you have an idea for an alternative solution to the problem?

·
Registered
246 Posts
My T5 shifter is a modified stock 3 speed handle. I cut the stub off the bottom and machined a little SS block. I had a coworker TIG weld it. Looks great and the geometry is perfect for me. That was back in about '99. These days you can buy almost exactly the same thing from NPD, etc.

I've always thought the Mustangs Plus one looks badass. I like the exposed look. I have considered using it instead just for looks, but I bet the short throws are also really nice. But then again, I'm jealous of the Hurst Lightning Rod shifter my buddy has in his Cutlass. The more tricked-up, the better.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Honestly I kind of love how mine looks. I'm running a console for a bunch of reasons like holding my tablet. But wouldn't mine having the shifter linkage exposed one bit. It's not far off of the tunnel which was my main complaint with the off the shelf option.

·
Premium Member
3,023 Posts
Who knew, being average height does seem to:sneaky: carry some advantages.

·
Registered
492 Posts
@RyanSterling966 - more pictures. Lol. I’m with you on the lower to the tunnel looking better and I too think it looks cool exposed. I will probably play around with the Mustangs Unlimited shifter I’ve got. I wonder if I could machine a flat in the vertical round bar and drill a new hole on the same level as the top of the stub bolted to the shifter...? I can't see how that would mess anything up and it would drop the long horizontal bar much closer to the tunnel. I do think it would look better with less material on the vertical shifter handle portion as well as the horizontal connector bar, just too heavy looking to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts