Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'69 Mustang coupe...331, Fox / Explorer EFI, TK3550, MDL, SoT, TCP, Fays2 Watts, 94-04 Cobra discs
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all-

I've posted several times in the other forum, not sure how to link to those postings...

I'm looking into Mustangsteve's Cobra kit for the front of my '69 coupe.

I'd like to run 16" wheels, I think.

For a 67-70, per dodgestang's and others' wheel fitment tables, I need a 4.5" BS wheel.

What BS is needed with the MS Cobra kit?
Who has this kit, I've heard from 1 or 2 folks already, per my other posts...?

Thanks guys,

Nate

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
IIRC, you're gambling as to whether the rotor/caliper combo will fit in a 16" wheel. Pretty sure he recommends 17".

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I asked about using this kit with the Vintage 50 series wheels I have. No good, don't know what wheels you have but they will not work with the wheels from Vintage Wheel works.

·
Registered
5,552 Posts
Having a set on mine I can say that even on my 17" TTII's...I still needed to add spacers to it in order to fit the radius on the inside portion of the rim. The mustang rim which the brake combo was originally designed for ('98-'05) had a more flat side to it hense the idea of running newer rims with this setup. I would buy a set of wheels/torq thrust off of ebay and buy those brakes.

Am I happy with the combo...YES, the car stops wonderfully.

Any questions, PM me...

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hey guys

I was going to start a new thread, but I just noticed this one going.

I'm looking at various brake options for the front of my 68 Cougar, with custom brackets attached to 70 drum brake spindles. Wheel diameter is a consideration for me as well, I'm thinking about going with a set of the VWW 10-spoke Shelby replicas in 16".

Is there much demand out there for a brake kit specifically to fit inside 16" wheels? I see kits from Mustang Steve, and Baer, that put the 13" SN95 Cobra brakes on an early car. But as mentioned, they usually need at least 17" wheels to clear.

With two local friends who are hardcore Ford guys, we've already been building and selling rear brake upgrade brackets for 89 - 97 T-Birds and Cougars (my other hobby car is a 95 T-Bird Super Coupe). So we're wondering if many vintage Mustang people would be interested in purchasing brackets that would mount the SN95 Cobra calipers over 12" Crown Victoria rotors. That would allow you to stay with 16" wheels. The brackets would be cut from plate steel, not billet alloy like Steve's. Not quite as pretty, but likely less expensive.

If this should be discussed off-line, please p.m. me, or send an email to fastedn2001 AT yahoo DOT ca. We're looking at making brackets to go with a few different rotor & caliper combos. A bit of background on me, since I'm not a frequent poster here ... I'm a 17-year Ford parts guy, and did some amateur racing in a 5.0L Mustang many years ago, so I know about having to upgrade brakes!! LOL

thanks,
Ed N.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Keep in mind that most of the fitment problems people are having with Steve's kit are with the calipers hitting the spokes, even with 17" wheels. I believe going to a smaller diameter rotor wouldn't necessarily help unless it also was deeper so you could set the caliper further inboard...

68Restoman

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yes, thanks for bringing that point up. The spoke design of the wheel used definitely makes a difference. I have the 13" Cobra brakes on the front of my SC T-Bird, and the spoke design of my 18" Fittipaldi wheels doesn't leave much clearance. I'd like to go up to 14" brakes, which will clear some 18" wheels, but not those ones!!

We will look at various rotor and caliper options, and look for more feedback from people here. Hopefully we can put together something that will be useful. We're not out to make a huge profit on these, just looking to provide a service to fellow enthusiasts who aren't able to do this themselves.

cheers
Ed N.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts