Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I’m sure by the title you all know that I have a ‘66 fastback. I am doing a restomod and want a new engine in it (it had no engine when I bought it) and really want to put a 427 stroker in it. This is not a question of should I do it (I know the answer is probably no) but more a question of what kind of upgrades I should do to make the mustang capable of handling this kind of power. Thanks, Daniel

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Simple.... Everything!

You’ll need to upgrade:

1. Fuel system
2. Brakes
3. Suspension
4. Rear end
5. chassis
6. Cooling
7. Exhaust
8. Transmission

You don‘t have to, but it helps a lot to remove or notch the shock towers.

So can you do it, yes. Will it be easy or cheap, no. So put a good plan together.

it will be easier if you work with an existing system has already worked out all problems. TCP has some good subsystem, by put there are man6 other choices too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Simple.... Everything!

You’ll need to upgrade:

1. Fuel system
2. Brakes
3. Suspension
4. Rear end
5. chassis
6. Cooling
7. Exhaust
8. Transmission

You don‘t have to, but it helps a lot to remove or notch the shock towers.

So can you do it, yes. Will it be easy or cheap, no. So put a good plan together.

it will be easier if you work with an existing system has already worked out all problems. TCP has some good subsystem, by put there are man6 other choices too.
I also own a ‘68 fastback. Would it be any easier to install a 427 in that one?

·
Registered
35,451 Posts
I also own a ‘68 fastback. Would it be any easier to install a 427 in that one?
The only thing that's really going to be "different" is that you'll have about 3/4 inch more room on each side of the engine. Other than that, the same modifications apply, unless your '68 Fastback is a GT-500 or was an "R" code (in which case it would be sacrilege to not put another FE in it).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts