Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang HT, 302, GT40P, C9OX intake, rattler cam, hipo manifolds, 4r70w
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

since this is not a vintage Mustang build I checked this part of the forum and saw other non Mustang builds here so I hope I´m gonna be fine here?
The car is still in progress so I think this qualifies it for the build-forum.

About the car: It is a 1966 Mercedes Benz 200, aka fintail. What makes it special is that this car is a hearse built by Pollmann in Bremen, Germany.
The car was delivered from the Mercedes assembly line in Stuttgart to the Pollmann body shop as a partial mounted car (things that were not needed were not part of it e.g. the rear doors, trunk lid, roof skin).
Pollmann then built the rest of the car to customer specs.
The car is elongated though the wheel base was kept original. Allt the extra length is added befind the rear axle.

Here are some pics from when I got the car:
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Vehicle Car Window Motor vehicle Plant
Car Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Automotive lighting

For those of you who might be familar with these old Mercedes fintails and think it is an W111 chassis you are wrong:
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Personal luxury car

This car is a W110. The guys at Pollman installed a second radiator support in front of the original so that the longer fenders from the W111 sedan and the W111 hood could be installed?
Why? To add the premium look of a 6-Cylinder S-Class fintail to the smaller 4-cylinder fintail series. A hearse is still a commercial car, a 4 cylinder gasoline engine offered more than enough power at a time where most people drove Volkswagens.
As you can see, the engine bay carries only a four cylinder engine:
Vertebrate Hood Water Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

in this case, it is not the original 2000cc engine. When I got the car, it came with a 2200cc engine, which was seized, why I replaced it with a 2300cc M115 engine.

More to follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What makes this car so beautiful to me is that it has no rear passenger doors.
Many hearses made by other manufacturers had still the rear passenger doors installed. they simply cut the window frames of and added a big window to the car like mine has. Though the rear doors still can be opened on these cars, they lost their function (no chance to get in the car, no rear seats, so why keep the doors?).
The looong side panels are what makes the car so beautiful.

There is one thing though, that I dont like about the car. As you vcan see on the third picture and on this one below, the barn doors make one little step out, so the taillights gets a bit hidden.It totally destroys the otherwise perfect lines of the car.
Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Hood Automotive lighting

I never really unterstood. They chopped the rear of the car off to elongate it, but did not made it long enough so that the barn doors would "slide in" so that they would sit flush with the tail lights.
First when I opened those doors a couple of times I realised, that they could be opened at a 180 degree angle, which would not be the case if those fintail will come further out. I think Pollmann kept the vehicle most practible with this solution, but I am still thinking about how to fix this esign issue.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so far. While the car may look quite nice it is in reality in a really bad condition.
The floor panels are rusted out really bad (drivers and passengers side), the rocker panels are rotted away also (inner side that is connected to the floors and bottom side), doors are rusted through, fenders have a couple of holes, the barn doors seems to be made of body filler, couple of holes in the front wheel houses, really bad rust in the rear wheel Arches and so on and so on.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Since I am new to this forum and I already did quite a few things on the car I can show you some results.
The documentation of things done to the car yet is not that good, because I my Intention was not to make a documentation.
The future steps will be documented better, I promise.
Since the car is REALLY bad I will not make a concours restoration to the car. It will be a driver, so as long as this car will be solid, it is okay for me.
That meens that not every weld will look like it was been made at the factory. And if a panel has a hole some where and I can fix it with a small patch I will not replace the whole entire panel just for not having welds where they should not be some.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will start with pictures of a quite easy job - welding the front doors. On both sides, floors have been rotten out and the door skin at the bottom was repaired with body filler.
Sadly, I have only made pictures of ONE door, but the same steps were made on both.
Also I did not made a picture before I started work on the doors, so the first picture made was when I already chopped about 12 inches of the whole door of:
Plant Wood Grass Motor vehicle Gas
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Plant Motor vehicle Bumper

As you can see I left the lower door hinge in place and chose to cut that section of the repair panels of. Doing it like this will not get me to align issues of the door hinge bolts.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper
Automotive tire Glove Helmet Wood Grass
Water Automotive tire Automotive lighting Road surface Asphalt
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Bumper Rectangle Automotive exterior
Automotive tire Wood Wall Grass Bumper

On the new lower part of the door skin i made a step in the metal, so that it sits flush with the original door skin.

As I already said, documentation will be better on future works, but to begin with I will show you what the actual status is of the car.
Would I have done a high quality restoration I would have replaced the doors with rust free used doors (which you can find for north of 400 € per door).
The hood though have been trashed by me. It was too bad, and good parts here are not too expensive (100 to 200).

Little note: The repairs of one door took me about 2.5 hours, 5 hours in total for both.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are some pictures of the rear passenger side wheel arch
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car
Tire Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Automotive tire Hood Tread Bumper
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Tread Motor vehicle
Brown Wood Amber Automotive lighting Tints and shades

As you can see at that point I started cutting out the outer lip and what I found was major rust. The wheel houses have been patched a couple of times during the last decades. Patch over patch on some edges.
Now you have an idea how bad the car actually is. It is really that bad everywhere!

One thing I like better on Mercedes W111 coupes and convertibles are the shape of the rear wheel arches. So why not convert my car to the ones I like better?
Here is my first try to see if the panel will fit:
Tire Car Automotive tire Hood Grille

The panel is only attached with self tapping screws to the body. As you see it looks quite nice!
So I decided to go that route and cut more rust out:
Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Tread
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive exterior Vehicle door

What you van not see is that I cut the outer part of the inner wheel house out because it was rotten out completely and was hold together by all those patches.
What I did not know is that the actual wheel houses between W110/111 Sedans and W111 are quite different in shape and that the outer part of the w111 coupe wheelhouse panel would not fit the inner part of my cars wheel house very well.... what will turn out to be a whole lot of more work that i could have imagined at that time.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What I did not mention above iss that the outer wwheel arch panel is not fitting spot on. I had to trim it a bit to get it to fit.

For those of you who are not familar with the fintails here is a picture of the drivers side original wheel arch on the rear. The right picture again shows the coupe/convertible style attached to my car
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Car Automotive tire Grille Hood

Which one do you like better?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is a picture of the drivers side wheel arch repair panel:
Tire Wheel Bicycle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

As you can see there is a step in the metal aboit 4 inches above the wheel arch. This does not line up with the step on the car. On the W110 sedan this step sits further up.
Easiest fix was simple to cut the upper part from the panel off.
As you also can see on the car, there is a second step in the original panel of the car. It starts where the wheel arch ends to the rear.
The W111 Coupe panel dis not have this step, so I had to form it with a hammer.
If I had a bead roller at that point, I could have made it in a different way.
In the mean time i bought one:
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire

·
Registered
'66 Convertible 200/c4 Vintage Inline Headers with Arvinode Duals
627 Posts
Looking good so far. Does the TŰV nee do inspect your work in progress or can you wait until It's finished befor the inspection?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi.

No need to get inspection while work is in progress.
When the car is finished i have to get it inspected by the TÜV. They also deside if the car will get registered as a historic vehicle or not.
So on crucial parts they will look carefully. New floors and rockerpanels makes always good impressions on the TÜV engineers -
as long as the welds do not look like booger.
I have done redtorations before so I know how they want the car to look.
My welding skills have never been up to discussion with them, so should be fine.
Welding in other wheel arches is no problem. The coupés and convertibles are based on the same chassis platform as the sedans (W111).
The Pollmann body shop could have welded them in also in 1966 as all other body shops.
At least said the young engineers at the TÜV do not know too much about these cars either.
In my old company the TÜV engineer Askese me everything about the Mustangs when he did not know. He knewed He could trust me

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Have been busy the last 2 days.
But you are still not up to date. The outer part of the rocker panel looks quite nice. The lip where it is attached to the inner part is mostly rotten away though. The inner rocker panel that also builds the floor of the whoke rocker is completely garage; you can punch holes in it wherever you want with a screwdriver. Same with the floor pan - so both parts are to be replaced.
For keeping the structure of the car as solid as possible i first cut out the half floor pan in length and then cut away about half of the inner rocker (where the metal was solid). After preperation⁷ of the metal i welded in the repair patch panel for the rocker:
Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Fender Automotive tire
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Fender

This photo is taken from underneath outside the car.
Sorry I did not make pics in the beginning. Drivers side will be documented better!
Bumper Automotive tire Gas Automotive exterior Composite material
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Wood Window Automotive exterior

Here you can see where the new rocker is attached to the old. Pictures were taken After the new floor pan was welded in. Sorry, I am a fool.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here are more pictures of the new floor
Automotive tire Wood Road surface Grey Motor vehicle

This is the front section. No problems here the metal around us solid, the rust is on the surface only . I could easily weld the pan to the rest of the leg Rom and the new installed rocker.
In the rear things were more dramatic
Wood Automotive exterior Gas Cuisine Metal
Food Wood Gas Cooking Bumper

I could weld the floor pan to the new rocker and to the rear. The part that has to be welded to the transmission tunnel could not be welded here.
The floor extension(the white part) is part of the transmission tunnel panel and was garage, too.
Instead of also replacing that whole panel i decided to replace the flat part only and fabricate the part by myself with help from my new bead roller
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bicycle tire
Wood Rectangle Composite material Tints and shades Water

Comparison new / old
Wood Road surface Trunk Rectangle Asphalt

The shape of the bead is a bit different - but I have no different roller- who cares?!

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Here is the pan attached with self tapping screws and then, welded in and metal prepped:
Brown Wood Floor Material property Composite material
Brown Water Wood Fixture Gas
Water Wood Liquid Paint Rectangle

As you can see I kept a part of the original floor where the seat mount is attached so I dont have to bother with this later.

What a whole lot of work! So much to weld and another side to go!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry for some of the pics being not too good.
The self fabricated part of the floor looks quite nice. Will make a better pic tomorrow. Also from underneath!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have not been busy today.
Here are 2 pics from the passenger side rear wheel house:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Tread
Automotive tire Tire Wheel Bumper Asphalt

After cutting in the rear it looks like this
Automotive tire Helmet Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system

More cutting and welding here tomorrow. The floor of this rail has been repared by a patch. This is rusted through again, so have to make a panel for this. Since this part is curved a bit I will use my stretcher and shrinker tool on this one.
But today I wasnt in the mood.

The hole up front was an easy fix. While not in mood, I took the welder out, made a patch with a scissor and welded it in while being careful to retain the future between the twi halves of the wheel house.
Automotive exterior Wood Bumper Composite material Gas

1 - 20 of 23 Posts