Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 319 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well... I'm comitted to the project now! As posted earlier, I was thinking about converting my '68 coupe into a tribute of the Maier #22 trans am racer. This thread will be a little documentary of my progress .

Here's what I started with:

Here's what the engine bay started as:

And here's the car it will resemble when done:

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's all for today, but if anybody is in driving distance of me in n/w indiana, I will be selling the hood, bumpers, grill w/ trim & foglights, 14x7 cragars (tires are pretty much shot), wheel opening trim, trunk trim, quarter ext trim, driver side door mirror, and the list may grow... the grill assembly and mirror are probably all I'm willing to mess with shipping for, but PM me if you are interested! Could be a great package for someone restoring a car!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like a total teardown coming up. Is it going to have an identical drivetrain and do you plan to race it?
Drivetrain is staying as is for now, 351W w/ T-5 and 8" w/ 3.80 posi, SO, no vintage racing in my near future, but I do want to get it out for autocross and hopefully some open track time. My only "real" goal at this point is to have it done with the bugs worked out for next year's Power Tour.

A good buddy of mine is doing a very similar build. This should be interesting to follow! Good luck making it the way you want! Are you doing the flares?
Decided against the flares, it's actually going to get a little more of a pro-touring look as I opted to order 17x8 and 17x9.5 Vintage V45's for it, and will get it as low as it will go and still turn good.

I've got all new steering and front suspension including the borgeson power steering conversion kit and a SSBC power disc brake setup for the front coming too. It should feel like a new car again!

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
You might just want to save any parts you remove as you never know, you might want to go back to the way it was in the long future. Plus, Mustang guys like to have bookends. You'll want another Mustang just as soon as you finish this one.

I see you live in N/W Indiana. What city? The INR SCCA (Indiana Northwest Region) used to hold autocrosses in Merrillville and at the Portage High school. Plus, the Northwoods (WI)region Shelby club rents out the Autobahn CC in Joliet for a weekend every year.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
LOL, well, my bookend is a 07 Shelby GT and I've saved so many original parts from that one that I really don't want to hang on to this stuff. The only other stang that may end up in my garage would be a 66 or 65 fastback, and it would be a gt350r clone for sure.

Thanks for the tip on merrilleville autocross! I live in Laporte, so I was looking into the stuff at tirerack in south bend too. The autobahn looks like a nice place too, I may have to take the 07 this year!

·
Registered
309 Posts
I also live in the NWI area (St. John). Not interested in the parts, I'll let you know if I know anybody that might be though. I am interested in seeing this when you're finished. Love the trans-am cars.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Good progress, are you going to paint the engine bay TA gray? I wish I would have thought of this before painting mine black and reinstalling the motor...

Jon

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Very undecided, it's either going to be light gray like that, or I may do the body color blue. My "issue" is that this won't be a real racing engine bay as I'm doing A/C and power steering and heater hoses etc... so it won't look nearly as clean against a light colored paint (i think)... I've looked at a ton of pictures as I go through this, but I have to decide fairly soon as I should be ready for color within a month or so.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Mine will have all those features too but there's still plenty of engine bay to be seen and the gray really makes every other color pop vs. just black. After having the engine bay the car color before I didn't think you'd be considering that color scheme again, thought you were going for something different. I'm trying to keep my engine bay free of any chrome and only using ford blue, black and aluminum, the gray would have been a nice contrast for me with primary colors.

Are you doing the satin black hood/fender tops/headlight buckets? What trans are you running? I've already done the front valence intake and plan to add brake ducts.
Jon

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I'm losing all chrome too either way. Pretty sure I'm not doing the black hood, as the original car I'm working to replicate didn't have that, but it does look bad ***. I've got a T5 trans in it and love it. I will be cutting the valence too, but not sure about brake ducts yet.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Been busy with a little home improvement project in the kitchen, but here's a little update:

Sold the old rims/tires, and detrimmed the rear end mostly...

Resized to 100% (was 1023 x 764) - Click image to enlarge

new rims arrived:

Resized to 100% (was 1024 x 764) - Click image to enlarge

test fit:

Resized to 100% (was 1024 x 764) - Click image to enlarge

and will be picking up the new rubber this saturday!

Decided to order the kumho ecsta xs's in 285/40/17 and 245/40/17.... hope i don't have to bend too much crap to make them fit right!

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Loaded up and ready for rubber!

Resized to 79% (was 1024 x 764) - Click image to enlarge

Mounted up:

I love this part of any build.. something about new wheels and tires sets the tone for it all:

I think I'm going an inch lower in back and the front will follow suit eventually, but I'm not going to worry about that till towards the end of the build since so much can change with the weight of everything bolted back on when it's done. An inch will put the top of the tire pretty much level with the wheel lip, barely tucked...

1 - 20 of 319 Posts