Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car a couple weeks ago. Had been looking for a 69 or 70 for a couple years, and finally pulled the trigger.
View attachment 716892

006.jpg

I had to sell my 69 Mach 1 twenty years ago, so it's nice to finally have one around again. The car runs and drives, was originally a H-code, white, PS, AC car. Currently it has an Edelbrock intake and carb. (Runs very rich), and headers. The PS and AC are gone, but the box for the ac and all the vents are still there. The wiring is hideous, dangerous, ugly, and very unsafe. Debating over using Midlife again for the underdash or going with AAW?

Anyway, the plan is to keep the car running and driving as much as possible. I'm not going to restore it this time around. It has had major work done in the past, including floors, quarter skins, trunk floors, etc. The question is what is the quality of work under the primer? Today I stripped the driver's side quarter. Not bad, not great, but usable. Plan on completing the clean-up this week, filler and epoxy primer this weekend. going to go one panel at a time until it's ready for paint.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Keep on keeping on ! !

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, off to a bad start. Only a few of the pictures uploaded. Here's hopefully a few more...

003.jpg

006.jpg

007.jpg

010.jpg

Regarding the last picture (hopefully), is that the way the rear bumper fits? Seems like it isn't right.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Looks like a pretty good gap on passenger side of decklid. Maybe that is the reason.

Are those 15" wheels with the chrome rim???

Pat

·
Registered
314 Posts
Congrats on the find. I hope you paid more than I did! (Yours looks better than mine!)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Very nice! Congrats on finding another 69 mach 1 after waiting 20 years!

Man, all these mach1 popping up are getting my thinking and thats gonna get me in trouble!! HAHA!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't get as far as I wanted to this week. I was hoping to complete the body filler process, but it didn't happen.
I finished stripping the entire quarter, and was happy to see that there aren't any rust issues. The skin could have been installed a little cleaner, but it is usable. I removed the rear seat bottom, interior quarter panel, and sail panel. The inside of the quarter was not primed where the skin was welded, so I'll address that. The floor has been replaced, same as the quarter, could have been cleaner, but acceptable for now. I'm planning on making this a nice driver, so as long as it's rust-free and structurally sound, I'm using as-is. I do plan on restoring the car in the future, but I want to enjoy it as "my car" for awhile.

As 665spd stated in his project thread, $30,000 now gets you a questionable small block Mach 1, so the work that's been done is helpful. At least I know what I'm dealing with.

This is an experiment to me. The way I'm doing the body work is as follows: Getting back to bare metal. Using Evercoat metal-to-metal to rough fill the weld seams, because it doesn't absorb water. Epoxy priming the areas that need filler. Applying Evercoat Rage filler over the scuffed epoxy primer. Another coat of epoxy over the finished filler and bare metal areas, then a primer surfacer. This process worked well on my 66, so I'm sticking to it.

This is where I'm at right now:
View attachment 717842

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Somewhere back in time someone removed the hood hinge springs and built a prop-rod. Ordered new hood hinge springs. Roughed in the quarter panel, cleaned up the interior, and moved the car to storage. Brought the 1966 home for pictures. Guess I'm going to try to sell it.

713.jpg

714.jpg

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A lot going on right now. Managed to get a little done on the Mach. Stripped the driver's side rocker, and door corners. Looks like it has reproduction doors. E-coat is still there. The outer rocker really needs replaced, but looks like the reproductions are pretty bad. Going to try and keep moving forward.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's been a struggle getting motivated. I ground off some of the coating on the passenger side quarter panel:

001.jpg

002.jpg

It would be interesting to go back in time and meet the people that did this. I wonder what happened or what the reasoning was? I'm guessing at the time the work was done only quarter skins were available, but what happened??

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
I'm pretty certain that the quarters on the one I bought are overlapped and welded. Not sure I like that either but it's going to be some time before I get into that. Too much other stuff going on to worry with it at this point.

What's your plan? Are you going to remove what there and start over?

Allen

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Turnall, I'm not sure. I ground some more on it and found some screw heads, and the door now has almost a 1/2" gap between it and the quarter panel. It was all built up with bondo. At the moment I'm leaning towards replacement. You know how that goes, though. First a quarter panel, then the wheelhouses, then the trunk floor, and now I've got a restoration going...
When I bought the car I told myself I wouldn't replace any body parts unless they were rusted. The quarter isn't rusty, just not repaired well.
I really don't know yet.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts