Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 barrel carb is only squirting gas into one barrell. The carb was rebuilt about 7 years ago, but it has only about 3,000 miles since then. Do I have a bad accelerator pump? The carb has been rebuilt at least twice, is there a limit to how many times one can be rebuilt. Should I have the whole thing rebuilt or just fix what's broke and put in some new gaskets? I'm carburetorily impaired, I think.

·
Registered
20,876 Posts
Sounds like you have a plugged nozzle on the squirter. Just take it off and clean it out.

How many times can it be rebuilt- depends on the care or lack off on each rebuild. Usually the bores that the trottle shaft rides in, wear and allow a lot of air in. This will lean out the carb and adversely a effect performance. These can be repaired by putting in a bushing and reaming them to the correct size. The repair will be at least as good as new. Like I said the care in handling it in previous rebuids, such as screw thread conditions in the body will effect it.

If you have the money, send it to Pony Carbs. for a rebuid, it'll come back better then new!

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575517&a=11977890&p=45436241.jpg
My Thundebird!

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2V in my old coupe. After a rebuild it was only squirting on one side. I unscrewed the Venturi Assembly and lifted it out. You have to becareful that the little check ball doesn't drop down into your intake and ruin your day, to say the least. You may want to remove the carb from the engine so that will not happen.
Anyway I just blew all the little holes out untill they all were shooting good. They are real small and it doesn't take much to clog them. Droped it back in and it worked great. I never saw anything come out so I guess it was Tiny. Good luck

[color:green]Adam</font color=green>

Click Here to see my Website
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=43855504.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts