Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow VMF'rs. Well I feel kind of let down to have spent so much money on a complete Global West Suspension only to find out My car had been hit rather hard when owned by PO. I had it "aligned" and although the Hunter alignment rack showed equal caster for both front wheel as well as equal cross caster, the distance from front hub to rear hub on the driver side is 1/2inch *Longer* than the passenger side (we measured it with common tape measure).

Seems to track well with no ill effects (although just started to drive and have not really had time to evaluate fully...need other steering upgrades/renewing).

What are the theorhetical woes I should encounter with this predicament? The frame just over the passenger rear wheel is visibly bent on the lower side....So, on this side the hub to hub distance is shorter. If I take it to a frame alignment shop can they pull it out? Will this crack my good paint job somewhere due to a 1/2inch movement?

thanks, Jaime

ps. 68 Mustang GT/CS

·
Registered
727 Posts
I would think that a frame shop would be able to pull it out without doing any damage to the paint. It's only 1/2 an inch and the quarter panel can flex if it needs to.

Good luck.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Just make sure they loosen all the fender bolts and hood first. If they don't it will most likely kink the metal. Have you ever replaced floor moldings in your house. One cut to short or two long will leave a huge gap or it just won't fit. 1/2" is a lot of movement for something like this.

·
Premium Member
19,169 Posts
Midlife had exactly this problem (1/2" longer wheelbase on the driver side), but it was due to a mis-aligned upper arm shaft (1/2" off). I had an excellent alignment guy (who did all sorts of alighments for track, oval, autox, etc.), and, although he didn't find the problem, wasn't concerned about the offset. Midlife drove great, and didn't have any problems with tracking or steering. If the car drives OK without abnormal tire wear, I'd just go with the flow.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I guess if it aint causing any woes at this point I'll let it go.....like midlife!

Jaime

1 - 5 of 5 Posts