Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

We just moved from Phoenix to Oklamoma City. Our car made the trip great! Except... the speedometer just started making a noise that is driving me crazy. It is making a ticking sound that is quite loud. The ticking coincdes with the speed I'm going. Every time it clicks, the indicated speed jumps about 10mph. I haven't added any grease to it yet, but I'll try that first. I was just curious if anyone else had seen this problem so I wouldn't be wasting my time in case something is broken or needs replaced.

Thanks for your time,
John Thomas

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Yep, it's your speedo cable asking for grease. Pull it, clean it, lube it, put it back in. It's also possible that your cable is too worn (they wear from the inside) and needs to be replaced.

If greasing it doesn't work, try a drop or two of 3-in-1 oil in the speedo cable connector on the gauge, and see if your driven gear is worn on the tranny side of things.

This is a very common problem. I solved my clicking this way, but I haven't been able to completely eliminate the needle jump yet below about 30 mph.

Steve

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ditto what 66_Pony said. No biggie, just needs lubrication.

66_Pony, my jumping needle is caused by the cable binding slightly in the sleeve. I got mine to stop by changing the bend in the cable where it plugs in on the speedo. This was in a Tbird, but principle is the same I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
The suggestions of the others are right on, but there is one other possibility. My tripometer hung at the rollover to 14,000 and just clicked while the needle jumped around. It was different from the cable sticking in the casing (normal cause of needle jump) or the connector being loose or worn at the speedo or trans. The tripometer finally jumped to 14,000 after about 5 miles and the trouble hasn't come back since. I checked the cable at both ends and it is fine, I'm sure mine was an internal problem with the speedo which I may need to address in the future.

Good Luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts