Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work today around 11:30is on a 6 lane road - 3 lanes in each direction. On the particular stretch I was on - road was straight and lights were spread out about 1/4 mile distance (how convienent). Ricers tend to frequent this part of the road.

So - I'm stopped at a light and a riced out Acura pulls up behind me and immediately swings into the open lane to my right. Looks over and starts chatting with me about the '66. Anyhow - I know I've preached about racing on here before - so I'm guilty but anyhow - light turned green and we both hit it. First time for the '66 after the psuedo rebuild. '66 held her own quite well but in the end - the Acura pulled ahead.

So we are sitting at the next light and shooting the sh*t. Find out he put a SC in his Acura. He reved it and I heard the SC start whining. I'd love to have that whine in my car. Anyhow - we decide to give it another go. Light is about to turn green - put the car into 1st - get ready to get on the gas. Light turns green and right as I'm about to hit it - I glance in my rear view and what do I see. Our friendly local law enforcement crown victoria sitting directly behind me with a big grin on his face.

Needless to say - light turned green and I did NOT hit it however it was too late for the Acura next to me. He guns it hard -- engine screaming - SC whining - fart pipe farting. I pull out (chirped the tires because I had the engine revede already). Police pulls out to my left as I'm leaving the light slowly....looks over at me and smiles. Whole time - Acura is gunning it down the road. That Crown Vic hits the gas and turns the lights on for the Acura.

Well -- Acura pulls over and I drive by being very very carefull not to look at the Cop however I glance over at the Acura and the guy in there looks over at me and gives me the thumbs up. Good sport to say the least.

So there ya go - narrowly missed a reckless driving but the Acura didn't.

I need a Supercharger for the pony now. :p

**DISCLAIMER**
I know the dangers of racing to myself and my fellow driver and soccer mom on the road. I do not condone it however - I needed to find out what the '66 could do.

-Studio-

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
That's why we have rear view mirrors. I would have loved to have observed what the cop was thinking sitting behind you two. He must have felt like he was taking candy from a baby.

Also he might have heard or seen the tail end of the earlier race and was just stopping by to help you all avoid doing it again.

Thank your lucky stars and keep checking those mirrors!

John Harvey

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also he might have heard or seen the tail end of the earlier race and was just stopping by to help you all avoid doing it again.
It worked.

Thank your lucky stars
I do every day when I wake up in the AM and go to bed in the PM. :p

-Studio-

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great story. I'll be repeating that for some time. ::

Sometimes taking that last glance around pays off.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Too funny, Nick drives a dark blue CV and when we take it on vacations with a Cb Ant.on it everyone pulls over. Its so funny. Glad you looked in the rear view ::. Dawn

·
Registered
75 Posts
I'm assuming this was Rt. 7 or 28...where exactly were you? I always see a lot of ricers around Sterling/Herndon too.

-Alec
-live in Leesburg but now back in Blacksburg for school

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I do not condone it however - I needed to find out what the '66 could do.

As long as it's done for research, we forgive ya! ::

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This was RT 28. First race began one light past CarMax heading towards 7. Mr LEO showed up at the at the light where you make a right into Dulles Town Centre.

Funny - me and SWMBO and SWMBO(jr) are moving to Leesburg in September. Where abouts are you in Leesburg?

** Thanks for the forgiveness ART - the research proved I need more top end speed **

-Studio-

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I know the dangers of racing to myself and my fellow driver and soccer mom on the road. I do not condone it however - I needed to find out what the '66 could do.
Sorry, you're not going to get off that easy.

You make us so proud. I guess if terms like "ricer", "fart pipes", "supercharger", and a close call with the law are included, it somehow makes stupid behavior forgivable. It appears that doing something that is potentially lethal is OK, if you really want to do it. When you race on public streets like that, you accept the responsibility for the other guy's driving abilities too. Would you agree that you could also "find out what the '66 could do" on the track?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry, you're not going to get off that easy.
I was bad - I know.

You make us so proud. I guess if terms like "ricer", "fart pipes", "supercharger", and a close call with the law are included, it somehow makes stupid behavior forgivable
Nope. Sure doesn't.

When you race on public streets like that, you accept the responsibility for the other guy's driving abilities too
He can pay his own ticket. But I concede your point.

Would you agree that you could also "find out what the '66 could do" on the track?
That would've been more ideal. I would've gotten a 1/4 mile time outta it as well as a MPH. :p

-Studio-

·
Registered
310 Posts
My problem with street racing is not the speed, and the potential for a ticket.. its the man/woman/child crossing the street that you cant stop in time to avoid.. Just this month in MD too many people have been killed by street racers running over pedestrians walking around town..

It sounds like I should have taken your car from Dodgestangs house when I had the chance..

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
That would've been more ideal. I would've gotten a 1/4 mile time outta it as well as a MPH.
And, your reaction time, as well.

Thanks for being as good sport. My flame was nothing personal, but anybody who relates a road racing incident on the forum will get 20 lashes with a wet noodle from me, if I read the post.

I'm was certainly no angel growing up. I had some very fast cars, and I drove hell out of them. Problem is, I also had some REAL close calls while doing it. Truth is, you are probably a lot more safety minded than I was. I really shouldn't have lived through some of my escapades, and I could have easily taken out entire families. I'm not sure how old I was before the "light" switched on for me regarding the concept of consequences, but I was a slow learner. I was one of the lucky ones that lived through it all, and still wonder how. I knew others that weren't so lucky. That's the part that really sticks with you, and is probably why I am so intolerant of reckless driving. Also, probably why I am totally happy to own an I6!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
.. its the man/woman/child crossing the street that you cant stop in time to avoid
I agree. I will never ever run the car in a school zone or heavily populated area.

This area was pedestrian free to be sure.

Thanks for not taking my car when you had the chance. :D

-Studio-

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
...i dont see the hurt in a little street tussle on a huge open road with no occupants.im not saying hey lets go race up to 100MPH or anything, just some fun from maybe 0-60 or so. ...its just you and the other driver who can get hurt, and if you do, well, you knew it was a possibility . however i dont CONDONE ANY of this behavior :) .. not bad though if your 66 held its own with a SC acura...im assuming it was an integra? not to mention, what kind of rebuild was it? i cant imagine a stock rebuild mustang keeping up with a SC integra of ANY kind, unless that ricer couldnt drive. bc, a guy who cant drive in a fast car, makes you feel as though your car is that much faster.. ive ran into PLENTY of new Z28 camaros where the guy im pretty sure couldnt drive, and my car pulled on him pretty good, as well as alot of new Gt mustangs ....one of my fave street tussles was when a friend of mine who has a 5.0 with mods, and i in my car raced a Blown 98 Z8 on the street, we got ripped by at least 3 car lengths hahah. he didnt even have to know how to drive good that damn thing was an asbolute powerhouse andi dont think ive ever heard anything louder than that damn things blower/exhaust noise when he was rippin it and getting sideways through second . i was a spectator at that point!

·
Registered
477 Posts
I glance over at the Acura and the guy in there looks over at me and gives me the thumbs up.
-Studio-
Are you sure it was his thumb??? ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts