Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

· Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm Zack, I'm from Athens, Alabama, I'm 17 years old, and I've been in love with classics for a few years now. I have just recently had the luck of purchasing my very own 1967 Mustang. She's a 6 cylinder, 3 speed manual car, and i've fallen completely in love with her. I'm not used to really using or navigating forums. I have very little mechanical knowledge and have met to local mechanics that are helping me and teaching me over the summer. It is my dream career to do something in the mechanic field and work with classic cars, still haven't decided on what though. Reason I'm here is because one of the mechanics told me to go look on the forums for a cheap way to convert to front disc brakes. He said instead of looking for a kit, someone may have found a cheaper way to use parts from a different car to convert to disc breaks, so if there is anyone who has done that, let me know.
I look forward to meeting lots of new friends to help out!

· Super Moderator
12,045 Posts
Welcome Zachary!

These old cars are so very basic,....very easy to work and learn on. A basic tool kit and a timing light are pretty much all you need.

· Registered
3,017 Posts
Welcome. Love the patina.
Do a search on here for front disc conversion and you'll find many discussions and many options. Your main issue will be the current 4 lug hubs. I think one of our big vendors has recently come out with a 4 lug stock replacement. Check NPD and OpenTracker, among others.

· Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the VMF. The 4 lug front end limits you to the scarebird system, If you want to go to 5 lug the possibilities open considerably but you'll need new wheels.
Definitely going to 5 lugs, im going to end up swapping to a 302

Reactions: QuietChris

· Registered
5,048 Posts
Definitely going to 5 lugs, im going to end up swapping to a 302
If you are going to swap to 5 lugs anyway, you can always just bolt on factory disc brake pieces. 65-67 use the same 5-lug spindle for disc or drum. No kit needed.

P.S. Let me clarify that 65-66 5 lug spindles are the same between disc and drum. 67 5-lug spindles are the same between disc and drum, but 65-66 and 67 spindles are NOT the same....the 67 spindle has a somewhat longer steering arm than the 65-66

· Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you are going to swap to 5 lugs anyway, you can always just bolt on factory disc brake pieces. 65-67 use the same 5-lug spindle for disc or drum. No kit needed.

P.S. Let me clarify that 65-66 5 lug spindles are the same between disc and drum. 67 5-lug spindles are the same between disc and drum, but 65-66 and 67 spindles are NOT the same....the 67 spindle has a somewhat longer steering arm than the 65-66
Currently I just have the 6 cylinder parts, so just the 4 lugs and the 6 cylinder drum spindles, what all do i need? and is this the cheapest option?

· Registered
2,999 Posts
Endless info on the forumn past & present. And welcome to vmf.

That little six has a lot more potential than you think. But it's never going to run like a v8. And I'll be the first to tell you so.

Check out some of the guys on the fordsix.com sit as that's what most of them run.

I have a 67 base model vert 200/c4 I call the Money Pit check her out in my showcase. Just so you know not every one on this forum or out there thinks they have to be shiney & all dolled up to be a great looking mustang. The patina on the car looks great & says to me it's real, some people pay good money to fake that look, so if it bothers you don't let it.

They are fairley simple cars easy to work on. Enjoy it.

· Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Endless info on the forumn past & present. And welcome to vmf.

That little six has a lot more potential than you think. But it's never going to run like a v8. And I'll be the first to tell you so.

Check out some of the guys on the fordsix.com sit as that's what most of them run.

I have a 67 base model vert 200/c4 I call the Money Pit check her out in my showcase. Just so you know not every one on this forum or out there thinks they have to be shiney & all dolled up to be a great looking mustang. The patina on the car looks great & says to me it's real, some people pay good money to fake that look, so if it bothers you don't let it.

They are fairley simple cars easy to work on. Enjoy it.
I'm pretty set on my end goal being a 347 stroker. also the body and paint is the last of my concerns I enjoy the way it looks, i just wish the previous owner didnt do such a terrible primer job

· Registered
5,048 Posts
Currently I just have the 6 cylinder parts, so just the 4 lugs and the 6 cylinder drum spindles, what all do i need? and is this the cheapest option?
The words "cheap" and "brakes" should never be mentioned in the same sentence....your life and possibly other people's depend on these parts. That being said, you can buy any number of 4-lug disc brake conversion kits anywhere between $500 and $800....full, bolt on kits to your existing spindles....but if you ask me, that is a waste of money if a 5-lug conversion is planned anyway. Drum brakes will stop you just fine until you get the 5-lug conversion components, just buy a decent set of brake shoes for them and you will be pleasantly surprised for daily driving and cruising applications. 5 lug spindles will cost you about $200 used...or some $300-ish for new reproduction units, KH-style calipers will run you about $250 new, rotors will run you about $60 new so you you be in it for about $700 all told for 5-lug disc brakes.

You should not rush to get disc brakes that are cheap...you should upgrade your current drum brake shoes and if after you do that it still does not stop well enough for you and you decide you still need disc brakes, then you should save the money to get a quality kit. There are a lot of factors that go into actual good disc brakes....such as rotor size....which is dependent on wheel size....which is dependent on things like fender clearance for tires, etc. In the end, unless you are actually racing the car and brake fade is a concern, you will find that drums will do the job just fine on the street. The first order of business should be to increase your defensive driving skills if you are driving a 50+ year old car.(IE, you can't get away with riding the bumper of the guy in front of you)

· Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Step 1.
Get the car in the air, take picts of all the underside, from every angle possible, post here so we can see what you are starting with.
You will be amazed what the guys here can see.

We will need to ensure the chassis is safe, and then suspension + brakes, etc...
where would i post those pictures?

· Registered
996 Posts
I would recommend going with a stock style 5 bolt disc brake setup. Future you will appreciate it when you go to fix something and cant remember what parts came from what. Also, as mentioned above, this is not the place I would be looking for the cheapest solution. Get good brakes. You may be able to find some parts here on the forums, but most parts to be replaced on the brakes should be new (calipers, rotors, etc).

Next, you will want an 8" rear so you can have 4 wheels with 5 lug. Look around and you will probably find one complete for a couple hundred bucks. Stick with the drums, just cleaning it up and run with it. Worry about gear ratios later. pay attention to years, as earlier years are narrower.

Welcome to the forums. There's a ton of experience here, but you will probably have to do some digging to get all of what you need.

Oh, and good call on the 67. It's my favorite.

· Premium Member
15,653 Posts
Hello, I'm Zack, I'm from Athens, Alabama, I'm 17 years old View attachment 792743 View attachment 792744 View attachment 792745
Welcome to VMF.
We have had several 17-20 year old members in the past. It seems like most of them start out with great plans to restore/modify their Mustang and then reality sets in. Nothing is "cheap" on these cars and they soon realize that their plans equate to $20,000-$30,000 that they don't have and they disappear. I can think of several of them off-hand.
My advice is to get your car in reliable running/driving condition. You can rebuild the drum brakes for a couple of hundred dollars versus several hundred dollars for a disc brake conversion that is not an absolute necessity. When you have the car driving and stopping reliably then start looking into modifications. After seeing the price of your desired modifications you may decide that you don't really need them.

· Registered
788 Posts
I concur on the drum rebuild. They stop very well when done properly. It isn't necessarily the best introduction to vehicle mechanics and maintenance, but it isn't tremendously complex either. Take the drum off, study how they work and make them better. Don't get in a hurry and over reach right off the bat. Get a manual for your car if you haven't already, it should be the second investment after the car itself.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!

btw when I was 17 I replaced the clutch in my rusty 69 eL Camino in my parents driveway with no mechanical training whatsoever. Strong mechanical aptitude and attention to detail goes a long way.

· Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome to VMF.
We have had several 17-20 year old members in the past. It seems like most of them start out with great plans to restore/modify their Mustang and then reality sets in. Nothing is "cheap" on these cars and they soon realize that their plans equate to $20,000-$30,000 that they don't have and they disappear. I can think of several of them off-hand.
My advice is to get your car in reliable running/driving condition. You can rebuild the drum brakes for a couple of hundred dollars versus several hundred dollars for a disc brake conversion that is not an absolute necessity. When you have the car driving and stopping reliably then start looking into modifications. After seeing the price of your desired modifications you may decide that you don't really need them.
I fully understand that this project will cost a lot of money. The car currently runs well, currently almost done putting patch panels in the trunk, then a new tank. I am not wanting this to be a perfect quality show car, this will be my daily and i just want to make it fun. I have a 302 waiting for me at the guy's shop that is helping me out that ill work for during the summer. This is a career that i want to do so i plan to stick with it. the plan is to get it on the road reliabely and upgrade stuff over time

· Registered
1967 Ford Mustang
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I’m 17 and doing a high performance street setup and track duties. Apart of me regrets making it so nice when I drove it to school my front fender got hit
how does your classmates react?

· Registered
2,599 Posts
I’m 17 and doing a high performance street setup and track duties. Apart of me regrets making it so nice when I drove it to school my front fender got hit
But I bet the chicks dig it!

:) unless teenage girls have changed a lot in 40+ I really suspect they could care less about the car.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.