Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have closed my 200 to 302 build thread, Im off in a new direction.

Im heading to Florida this weekend to buy a complete air cleaner to pan 250 out of a 74 Comet.

Why you ask?

My wife and I just want a nice classic to drive around on weekends. I like the six, its simple and has plenty of room under the hood. At my age and dexterity, I like simple, I dont like skinned knuckles or playing twister to reach things.

I think I can squeeze 150-175hp at the wheels with a C4, ac and ps without a crazy cam or high compression. Thats plenty to cruise to dinner with.

Im getting it home and starting a teardown this weekend.

More to follow, if anyone cares...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Made it home with a nice 8in rear with 2.79s and a mint set of 10x2.5 finned drum brakes for the front.

Im tearing down the 250, it was in the rain a couple weeks according to the PO, there is water in a couple of the cylinders. I paid $30 for the engine. The 5 blade fan and ps/ac brackets are worth that to me.

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Loved the 6 in my 65 coupe back in the 70s, love the big 6 in my 86 F150. I think it’s a good move. With today’s aftermarket you have plenty of options.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Progress:

I have a D2DE block and a C9DE head. There was a steel head gasket.

Pulled the accessories and head off today.

The head looks pretty good, the exhaust valves are marginal, the intakes look good.

There was water in #5 and some rust scale, otherwise the bores looked great. If not for #5, I may have been able to get away with honing and a ring job.

I had a lot of trouble getting the dizzy out, but it finally gave up the fight and came out.

Im still fighting the oil filter and exhaust manifold.

The converter bolts are rounded, now that the dizzy is out Im hoping I can get the crank to turn.

The oil pan has oil in it, no water on the dipstick.

Hoping to have the block off to the shop early next week and the head to follow after I cc it and figure out my new CR.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stripped to the bare block. Off to the spa next week for a soak, bore, hone and new cam bearings.

As soon as the shop tells me the block is good, Im going to start ordering parts.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dropped the block and crank off at the spa this morning.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Progress:

The block is out of the degreeser and soaking in evaporust.

I stripped the head, pressure washed it and it is soaking in a vinegar bath.

I bought the correct frame and motor mounts off ebay. Still researching the unavailable isolators, maverick units might work with modification.

Found a 157 tooth bell local.

Ive started collecting the odds and ends that are different going from a 200 to 250.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Two of the things I need help with are the cam and torque converter.

250 / C4 / 2.79 gears / AC / PS / single outlet header / CR in the 8.8-9.3 range / Autolite 1101 for now, maybe a 2V later.

This will be a DD / weekend cruiser / very little interstate / 5500 rpm max / My wife will probably drive it to work on nice days so I want a smooth idle.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I spent about four hours on the rear end this weekend. Saturday I gave it a good pressure wash and degrease, today I spent 2 hours with a wire wheel on the rear end and brake backing plates. I managed to get about 90% of the rust off, I wasnt getting into the pockets or under the spring seats. I finished up with a coat of Ospho and it is looking really good, a good caot of black paint once Im done with everything else. I dont see any leaks but I think Im going to replace the seals and bearings anyway, also the pumpkin gasket. I ordered new brake lines and every thing for the drum brakes. Tomorrow I will order tires, 205-75-14 whitewalls.

The fronts are ready to bolt on, Im hoping to be 5 lug by mid-Feb.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is kicking my butt.

The last time I tore this far into a car was 88/89 when I rebuilt a 383 and did a general refresh for a 67 Belevdere.

I forgot how many hours it takes, back then it was a 20 year old car, today it is a 50 year old car.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Block is being bored 30 over, crank looks good.

1.649 intake valves, 1.468 exhaust valves.

Bearings get pressed on the axle Friday.

All the brake parts are in.

Finally some progress.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its been over a year. Life gets in the way sometimes.

Im losing steam on the 200 to 250 swap.

I bought a 250 shortblock, 030 over, stock cam, timing chain. PO was going to drop it in a Maverick Grabber and went with a 302 instead.

I got lucky and found a really nice set of 69 Mustang 250 mounts, all 6 pieces. The engine will sit at factory height, tranny will sit in its mount, no driveshaft issues.

The issue is the difficulty in finding the parts I need to make this happen. Other than the head and Windsor bell, a 250 is its own animal.

The accessory brackets, dampner and oil pan are tough to find. I found a nice alt bracket, a new oil pan runs $225, a rebuilt dampner if you have a core is $125.

As I add up the build cost for this 250, Im thinking that I can do a 302 or 351 for less money.

I can stop this now and break even if I sell the parts I have. Ive got almost $600 in it now and will probably spend another $1500 to finish it up, $2000 if I go crazy on carb(s).

Ive got another $500 in parts that I will keep, regardless, because they will go with a Windsor.

Im going to pull the 200 head tomorrow. Ive got a collapsed lifter or wiped cam lobe. Ive got a pretty stout cam for the 250, so if the 200 needs a cam, I will pull the 250 stock cam and use it in the 200. Otherwise the 200 runs well and I would like to keep it on the road until I have a engine ready to drop in.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
4 to 5 lug swap is complete. 2.79 open rear, all new drum brakes.
Chopped the front springs 1 coil and with a smaller tire got a 3 in drop in the front, 1.5 in drop on the rear.
Front fender lip: 25 in Rear fender lip: 26 in.
14 in GT wheels have new tires and will be replaced with 15 in TTD down the road.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts