Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im just gonna get right to the story

my father bought a '67 inline 6, 3speed back in 1997 (give or take a few years i dont really remember, all i remember is not being able to see over the dash hahaha). it didnt run when he bought it but got it running within the day. he daily drove it for 4 years or so. fast forward to 2006 when i am 14. one day my dad comes home from work and i had rolled it out in the drive way with the hood popped acting like i knew what i was doing. he walks over with a puzzeled look on his face asking me what i was doing. i looked up at him and said "i want to rebuild it." Now i dont know if it was the fact that i was finally taking an interest in cars, or the fact that it was about to be rebuilt for him with free labor, but a smile lit his face. so we got right to work that day, pulling the radiator and prepping the engine to get ripped out. That weekend he packed his cooler full of beer, and brought 3 or 4 cigars with him, opened up a beach chair in the driveway, sat down, and said "start pulling the engine and let me know when you need help." So this was the start of my project. we stripped the whole car down and organized all the parts in buckets in the garage. The car needed a new hood and i wanted the gt350 hood which was an extra 200 dollars which i needed to pay for. so i gathered all my money i could and gave it to my father. the day i came home and that huge box was sitting in my garage i was ecstatic. The car sat for a few months until we eventually sent it off to my uncle 500 miles away in New Jersey. in between the time we sent it off and the time we got it back there were plenty of parts that needed to be cleaned on the wire wheel. So i got to work cleaning every nut and bolt one at a time. The engine tear down in it self was a great experience, learning all the ins and outs of an internal combustion engine. Once everything was cleaned up and painted, we had to wait a total of year and a half to get the car back from paint since my uncle was doing it in his free time. We decided with a midnight blue with two racing stripes. by the time i was 16 i had gotten a job and was saving to buy miscellaneous parts for it. so the reconstruction of it was completed and the day it started up i was litterally jumping and screaming. From the day it was completely back together i bugged my father to register it until it was. hahaha. It is probably the best experience i have ever had. and the best time i have spent with my father ever. The main reason why i will never sell the car no matter what. nothing has really been done since then because since then i have just been driving it as is. But i have a new found love for it again, the only problem is that i am away at college and it is 3 hours away at home. So things to come:
suspension (lowering with stiffer springs) and sway bars
5 speed swap with original bellhousing
keeping the inline 6 because of 1) gas prices and 2) a little bit of originality
disk brakes in front
rear end swap to 5 lug

and without further adieu: the pictures
how it all started

here is the day it started up

a picture of it at a car show late at night

one of my favorite shots of all time of the car

another show

same show

and lastly my favorite shot edited

I'm mad because i had probably around 100 pictures of it while working on it but my moms computer crashed and i havent been able to recover them.

Hope you enjoy,
Matt

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Now take some Brillo pads out and start polishing up those old school ET mags! After you get a smooth shine with the Brillo/SOS pads, switch over to Mothers polish and the Foose polishing ball.
Unless you put some gear in the rear, don't swap to a T-5. 5th gear will be useless.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
That is why we all get into it. It looks awesome, and actually means something to you!

·
Premium Member
5,099 Posts
Great Story! Brings back fond memories of my younger days with my dad.

Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice car and story. Thanks for posting. Enjoy.
i enjoy every second of it. thanks

Now take some Brillo pads out and start polishing up those old school ET mags! After you get a smooth shine with the Brillo/SOS pads, switch over to Mothers polish and the Foose polishing ball.
Unless you put some gear in the rear, don't swap to a T-5. 5th gear will be useless.
Brillo pad works the best? i was thinking of sanding from 500 grade to a 2000 wet sand? but i will use a brillo pad first. and why would the 5th gear be useless i read that the 4th gear in a t5 is like the 3rd gear in my 3 speed i want that extra gear for highway and plus i want better acceleration with the t5.

That is why we all get into it. It looks awesome, and actually means something to you!
Thanks man i appreciate it.

Great Story! Brings back fond memories of my younger days with my dad.

Dave
Definitely something i will remember for the rest of my life. and it will have even more significance later in life when my father is no longer around. Thanks

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very very cool story! Wish my mustang had that kinda history to it! :)

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Fourth gear in a T-5 is the same as fourth gear in a 4 sp. or 3rd gear in a 3 sp. 1:1 ratio. It is 5th that is .68 or .63 depending on which T-5 you go with. If your car already has a highway gear in the rearend, 2:73 or someting along those lines, you are going to be out of your RPM's power band at cruising speeds and you are going to have a hard time trying to maintain your speed, or have any acceleration at all in 5th gear.
Oh, and you 500 grit starting point would work, it's just that with all the built up corrosion on old aluminum wheels, the Brillo pad with help clean out the corrosion instead of just cloggin up the sandpaper. Do the Brillo first then your 500 and 2000 grit.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Your dad's a pretty smart guy! His son is as well! Nice story, thanks!

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Matt,

Sounds a lot like my story wrenching in John's backyard. Speaking of which, I need to call him, today's a good day for that.

Bart

·
Registered
626 Posts
I have the same background with my dad and my car. I will cherish it forever. glad to hear other young guys seeing the meaning of wrenching on cars.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,655 Posts
Awesome story - it's cool that your car's been in the family for awhile. I just got mine 6 months ago of my own accord (the rest of the family had very little interest in classic cars until I got mine) and have been restoring it with the help of my Dad as the 'shop assistant' ;)

I hope to drive it every day for the rest of my life (or at least for the next 20 years until it needs to be restored again! :)). I know how it is trying to work on cars while you're in college. My car is actually 2 hours away so I can only work on it on the weekends and it just kills me. I swear I spend all of my time in class planning out parts to buy and install on the weekend! :lol: Don't know how I'm still passing anything

1 - 12 of 12 Posts