Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe | 302 | E-Style
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 68’ Mustang with factory A/C. I have been wanting to fix the A/C for some time now and was planning on doing it during the winter. Well the other day I had to drive the car at 7am and the windows were all fogged, defroster didn’t do a thing, luckily once it got in the sun it cleared up. Just to be clear, I have the shop manual and vac/wiring diagram.

Here’s what I know -
-brand new compressor, charged and blows cold
-only blows on the feet
-firewall heater hoses are disconnected
-took a quick look behind the control panel, looks like there isn’t anything attached to control where the air flow goes
-when the compressor is connected and the a/c switch is on, it runs all the time and never shuts off

Here are some of the parts I have but are not installed-
-a/c thermostat
-new vacuum line kit (color-coded)
-water heater valve & hoses

I currently have the vacuum line disconnected from the carb but it normally runs from the carb to a vacuum reservoir (brand new) in the fender-well, then out of there to a vac port in the firewall, the other port from the firewall is what connects to the water valve if I am not mistaken.

Going to take this one step at a time, take things apart, put the new parts in and get it all connected. Am going to take pictures along the way to help others. Any advice is welcomed, needed, and much appreciated on where to start and what to look for!

First question, before I connect the firewall heater hoses, is there anything I need to look at for or do? My car currently looks like the picture this:
Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

hose goes straight from the manifold to the water pump, I need to get the water heater valve and hoses to the firewall connected.

· Premium Member
1968 Ford Mustang Coupe | 302 | E-Style
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
First off, as always, yall are awesome!

I believe a lot of the vacuum lines under the dash are missing or incorrect in general so I do plan to run the new lines. There are two ports on the firewall (vacuum) and I understand one goes to the canister and the other goes to the water valve. I just need to connect them, wanted to run all the new lines so make sure there aren’t any leaks!

At this point, I need the hose to go from the heater core to the water pump, I have the small one to go from the other heater core port to the valve, then I need the hose from the valve to the manifold According to this diagram. @JW67Conv thanks for the info on those, will get the correct pre-bent ones from NPD. No rush to fix this, want to get all the right parts and have every component working.

I am just hoping all the servo’s under the dash work properly.
Here are a few pictures of the random parts I have -

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts