Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it begins....
Up until last Saturday I've been without a project car for 15 years and without a classic mustang for 20. My wife (after many home improvement projects) agreed that it was time to fill the barren third bay.
I was patient and knew what I wanted and finally landed a 1968 Coupe. The plan *at the moment* is a reliable cruiser and occasional autocrosser.
This thing is solid....and that is something I'm not used to coming from New Orleans to Phoenix. It currently has a 200 6 cylinder mated to a 3 speed but that will eventually change. But again...see the 'no hurry' part in the title.
Now....on with the pics!

This is what I saw when I drove up to talk $$.

And after i drove it home at 8pm in 100 degree heat.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Now for the interesting part....the car had 3 Bullet holes in the drivers door and 3 ricochets on the pass. rear roof and quarter. I asked about them at the time of purchase and was told that the previous owner never 'fessed up.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I had the idea of digging into the door to see if I could locate the old slugs and hang them from the mirror as a joke for the wife and I......what I found was a sticky situation.....literally.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Luckily the bees had been dealt with before I found them so all I had to do was clean up the mess.....good times.

The next step is a full tune up and brake job. It needs to go and stop better and I'm willing to spend a couple hundred bucks to be able to tool around in it while I stockpile more parts.
I don't know how much interest there would be for it but I will likely post pics of both of those endeavors as they happen....for posterity!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Get any honey out of that bee hive?�� Nice car by the way.
Sadly, most of the honey ran down along the bottom of the door onto the body trim. My leg kept getting stuck to it when I was getting in and out. :p
Thanks for the compliment. Here's to it looking better as we go!:drunkies:

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Love the 67/68 coupes. Yours looks great - a nice solid foundation to start with and it looks like its all there.

Best of luck with it.

Paul

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
Very cool, but did you find the bullets in that mess?
Lynn

·
Registered
974 Posts
Well I'd guess the cars name is "Honey".................

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for all of the compliments...and corny jokes. You guys are terrible....although I will say that the wife giggles at them.

I never did find the bullets in the door. Best I can tell, it looks like all three went through and the door panel was just replaced at some point. Hard to say really.

I'm going to leave the holes for the time being. One reason is because I'm not quite ready to start on the body stuff. Second is I think it *does* add a bit of character.....and I'm hoping that whoever left those holes will decide to not try it again.

The drive was uneventful. It was one year ago yesterday that the wife and I closed our on house sale in New Orleans and headed west. We showed up at the closing with all of our belongings in a Penske truck. Pretty crazy idea but it's been a grand adventure!

Side note: all bee business aside, the wife has dubbed the car: "Big girl Pearl"...or Pearl for short. Don't know why, but she won't be swayed. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Busy work for the weekend.
Tune up parts arrived!

New cap, rotor, wires, plugs:

Carb tear down/clean/rebuild results:

Flushed the cooling system several times. This mess looks like some of the coffee from work!

Finished the weekend safely tucked in the garage....between our two imports. Funny, the 'pony' car is the biggest car we own now! :)

Brakes are next, I believe. Door tuneups after that.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts