Vintage Mustang Forums banner

121 - 132 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Love how you are building, breaking up your restoration/modifications into small chunks and keeping it driving. So many go for the “full rebuild” and only end up dumping their project in a field to rust away.
Sounds like Arizona is a lot like a big part of Australia, way too hot to do anything outside in summer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Love how you are building, breaking up your restoration/modifications into small chunks and keeping it driving. So many go for the “full rebuild” and only end up dumping their project in a field to rust away.
Sounds like Arizona is a lot like a big part of Australia, way too hot to do anything outside in summer.
Thanks! I am doing my best to keep it running so I don't get frustrated with it sitting for too long. That's happened to me before and I'm taking great pains to avoid it again. And yes, Arizona can quickly get too hot to do much at all during the warm months. My wife and I will take the car out on Saturday morning to grab groceries and get breakfast around 7:30-8. Right now it's still around the mid 80s during that time. It won't be long before we're already in the upper 90s during that time, and with no A/C in the car yet....the missus isn't having it!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Been a short while but I've been stockpiling parts. Got a 22 gallon stainless fuel tank and will be mounting a 5th gen camaro fuel pump in it. Bought some parts from VaporWorx that will allow it to be a single-line feed into the holley efi setup I'm running.
Also decided on doing a T56 swap, so bought the bellhousing for that.
Picked up JBA ceramic coated stainless long tube headers and my ignition pieces as well.

Went to SEMA and GoodGuys most recently. Actually picked up my shock tower brace from Mike and Brianne Maier while i was at the GG show. Brianne was kind enough to toss one in her truck to save me a few bucks on shipping.

Enjoy the pics!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
The latest addition to the growing parts pile:

This is a really nice piece. The welds look great and the build quality is impressive. I ultimately chose Ron Davis because they're local to me and he's been exceptionally helpful when i had questions.
I almost hated putting it back in the box after i took the pics.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Been a short while but I've been stockpiling parts. Got a 22 gallon stainless fuel tank and will be mounting a 5th gen camaro fuel pump in it. Bought some parts from VaporWorx that will allow it to be a single-line feed into the holley efi setup I'm running.
Also decided on doing a T56 swap, so bought the bellhousing for that.
Picked up JBA ceramic coated stainless long tube headers and my ignition pieces as well.

Went to SEMA and GoodGuys most recently. Actually picked up my shock tower brace from Mike and Brianne Maier while i was at the GG show. Brianne was kind enough to toss one in her truck to save me a few bucks on shipping.

Enjoy the pics!

Can you elaborate on what exactly you are doing for your fuel setup/delivery?
I assume you're going with some sort of PWM setup?
It sounds like you are doing something similar to what I want to do (when I get to the point where I am putting my car back together) and the VaporWorx guys were recommended to me by someone else.
Are you going to have to run the fuel lines in the trunk with what you are doing?
Ideally I want a 22 gallon stainless tank with (baffled or with Holly Hydramat), PWM pump (to not heat up the fuel unnecessarily), and avoid running the lines in the trunk...

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #128 (Edited)
Can you elaborate on what exactly you are doing for your fuel setup/delivery?
I assume you're going with some sort of PWM setup?
It sounds like you are doing something similar to what I want to do (when I get to the point where I am putting my car back together) and the VaporWorx guys were recommended to me by someone else.
Are you going to have to run the fuel lines in the trunk with what you are doing?
Ideally I want a 22 gallon stainless tank with (baffled or with Holly Hydramat), PWM pump (to not heat up the fuel unnecessarily), and avoid running the lines in the trunk...

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Certainly.
No PWM. The 5th gen camaro pump with the pressure regulator from Vaporworx will feel my holley efi at the proper PSI. I'll have a single line that feeds the system since the 5th gen setup has internal regulator and return (got the correct psi regulator from VW). One line from the pump to the throttle body. I will have options when it comes to the line in the trunk or not. The pump will be surface mounted on the tank and I'll have to weld in a dropped down section to meet the height requirements for it. If i choose to, I'll be able to either A) run a very short section of hose from the pump to a bulkhead in the trunk. or B) put the dropdown close enough to the side of the tank to allow me to run the line from the pump directly to the underside of the car. (similar to step 43 in this document: https://www.vaporworx.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Vaporworx-Fuel-Tray-Mounting-Ring-Corner-Pickups-and-Wiring-Instructions-Rev-11-2-14.pdf

I've not decided which i will go with yet but I did pick up a sheet of stainless to use to weld up the dropdown for the pump mount.

I spoke to Carl several times (really good about answering my questions) and he assured me that, for what my plans for the car were, this simple setup would fill my needs. The pump unit stays submerged in cornering and won't starve itself for fuel unless I'm running next to empty and on a tight course.
I'll probably be getting the remote pickups from VW as well. The reason being, is I'm erring on the side of caution. The remote pickups will just allow the unit to draw from where ever I'm slinging the fuel that's in the unbaffled tank since the pump will likely be mounted on the right side of the tank.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #129 (Edited)
Nothing really exciting. Just got my MC and it will be added to the pile of boxes on the shelf.

And I'll try to resize the links from here on out. Imgur, by default, makes them HUGE.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
So, the latest: The car is in storage and I'm still collecting parts for the swap.
Good news: I'm likely going to call Bowler in the next couple of weeks and order my T-56 as well as a CVF front drive system and the new RTX gauges from Dakota digital. I've recently ordered a new wiring harness from AAW and a few other odds and ends.

Bad news: my engine builder had a pretty serious health scare and that's held up engine progress. He's on the mend and I've lit a fire under him to get back on it. I've waiting long enough.
The reason that the car is in storage is because I no longer have a garage to keep it in because I sold the house. I split from my wife and am now flying solo....so plenty of time to worry about car stuff...just having to be ready for a spot in my friend's shop. Isn't life a strange thing?

·
Registered
756 Posts
I have the Dakota Digital VHX gauges in my '68. I got them before the RTX were developed. I just finished looking at the RTX gauges on the Dakota Digital website and I have to say I still like the looks of the VHX gauges better. I'm sure you'll be happy with the gauges after you have them installed.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I have the Dakota Digital VHX gauges in my '68. I got them before the RTX were developed. I just finished looking at the RTX gauges on the Dakota Digital website and I have to say I still like the looks of the VHX gauges better. I'm sure you'll be happy with the gauges after you have them installed.
Nice backhand...

121 - 132 of 132 Posts