Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon everyone!!

I wanted to share my experience with QP. I was in the market for a new rear end as I felt at some point I would have more power than the 8" could handle and that my current rear end was in need of seals, gears, bearings, brakes etc.

I began to look at Currie, Johns, and a multitude of other vendors and began to relegate my feelings that it was going to cost at least 4k or more for a nice 9'. While talking to a friend at work, he mentioned Quick Performance. I had not heard of them before and I jumped online once I got home(shortly before the Covid event) and was shocked at the pricing. I can't say I was terribly impressed with their website and what seemed to be old photos. Regardless I "built" my rear end with their configurator and was shocked it was a solid $1500 less than the competitors with more options.!! And outside of expensive disk brakes I checked every box.

I was a little unsure how this could be. So I called QP and spoke to Ashton multiple times and asked a ton of questions(like some of you here on this forum :) ) I asked him if they could place the breather vent in approx the same location and thread size as the original, no problem. I asked if they could send the pumpkin unpainted, no problem. I asked for them to weld the tubes without the "C" cut, no problem. They were awesome to work with and needless to say they had my business.

Here are some(maybe a lot) of photos. Please note, I do not work for them, am sponsored by or have any family members working there.

While waiting for the rear end I searched for a pinion snubber and found one off of a 1969 Mustang. While not a 65-66(couldn't find one and this one I scored for $75) it is considered the service replacement. Too it came with the snubber and was in great shape!!

Next I got it cleaned up and painted

Then my rear end started to come in pieces and the axles and 3rd member were first. I went with red oxide primer with a satin clear, however its a little more shiny than I wanted but its ok.

A pic of some of the components

And finally assembled waiting for installation. Next is the fuel tank, lines, wiring the fuel injection and then finally a drive with the 3.50s and TrueTrac!!

And my little garage and the Stang with her new leafs(removed the Global West L-10R that I installed last summer and replaced them with GW L-10R-2) waiting for the rear end and new fuel tank to be installed.

Chris

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience with QP. I looked at their website too and liked the prices. Good to know this is a solid address.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I ordered an 8 inch rear end from with the 3.25 Gear Ratio and Eaton True Trac.
Came in looking good but I have not installed it yet.
Another project for this summer.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,106 Posts
I was going to get the Trac Lock from them eventually, glad they are a good vendor. Good to see some feedback as normally its only negative stuff on vendors.

Reactions: Badbenz94

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looks great. Please post a picture of the ride height when you are done. Are those 11x2 inch brakes?

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great. Please post a picture of the ride height when you are done. Are those 11x2 inch brakes?
Thank you I will! They are 11x 2 1/4. I will be replacing the shoes soon with Porterfields from Opentracker to match my front pads.

Chris

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a 9" Nodular Pro N, 3.70 gear pumpkin with 35 spline axles from QP in my 66 9" rear.

Great to work with.

Allen
You know we both have the same car basically. :) (y)

I went with the Yukon Nodular, with 31 spline and the TT. With the thicker tubes and billet ends, should be good for 600hp(more than Ill have)? I was thinking hard about the 3.70, hope I like the 3 to 3.50 jump.

Chris

Reactions: Turnall

·
Registered
990 Posts
QP is super solid! I got a heck of a deal on a '65 housing and axles from them. Its beautiful! With nice tubes, clean welds and billet ends. The axles look fantastic too. I ran out of dough or I'd have gotten the centre from them at the time too. Its still sitting on my shop shelf waiting. I'll most likely have them send me almost exactly what you have for a centre section and call Shaun at SoT for brakes and his 3 link this winter.

A very good friend of mine ordered a bolt in setup for his '67 Falcon. 3.70 gears, trak lok 31 spline axles and their disc brakes. Its in the car now and he loves it. Nice and quiet too.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QP is super solid! I got a heck of a deal on a '65 housing and axles from them. Its beautiful! With nice tubes, clean welds and billet ends. The axles look fantastic too. I ran out of dough or I'd have gotten the centre from them at the time too. Its still sitting on my shop shelf waiting. I'll most likely have them send me almost exactly what you have for a centre section and call Shaun at SoT for brakes and his 3 link this winter.

A very good friend of mine ordered a bolt in setup for his '67 Falcon. 3.70 gears, trak lok 31 spline axles and their disc brakes. Its in the car now and he loves it. Nice and quiet too.
Agreed! I was going to post pics of the welds etc but I thought I had a lot of photos already.

Great to hear it’s quiet(not that I doubt it won’t be) and he’s happy.

Chris

·
Registered
292 Posts
@Badbenz94 Thanks for all of the info and pics. Finally getting ready to place my order today for a complete 9" including:
  • narrowed housing by 1/2" per side
  • nodular center section w/ TrueTrac posi
  • 3.70 gears and 31 spline axles
  • standard 11" drum brakes

Questions:
  1. Parking brake cables: are you using the one from your 8" axle, stock 9" ones, or the Wilwood cables from QP?

2. Pinion Snubber: My T-code FB already has a pinion snubber (for the 6 cylinder rear end?) bolted into the floor. Since I don't have the new 9" axle, I wonder if the original snubber in the floor is in the correct location and would work? Or if I should get the one with the shield for the 9" (plus I'd think it prevents any leaks from spraying all over the underside...)
Did you get yours installed yet?

Reactions: Badbenz94
1 - 20 of 43 Posts