Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO! It begins....the hunt for a good under dash A/C!

I found a company and spoke to it's owner, and old school guy who knew a lot about the systems in vintage cars. The company was called Rainbow Products in North Carolina. Has anyone ever dealt with them or Mike Brown the guy I talked to? He's very old school.

http://www.rainbowproductsonline.com/new/option2/ac-products/ac-kits4-6465k.php

My car had an old ugly Sears unit under dash installed in 1972. I've removed it. I've decided to go the under dash route and hooking up an in-dash will change the original character of my car probably look nothing like the OE and is WAY too much work for a pleasure cruiser. I've already restored the dash and heater box.

I've looked at getting a cool vinage under dash unit like this one from a 65 Fairlane. But I was told that running r134 will have leaking issues due to hose and connector fittings.

It really nice and vintage. I do have experience in A/C from my dealership days and currently have access to a R134 recovery and recharging system at the Army base shop.

So those are the two routes I was thinking of taking. I'm not as much a fan of the newer under dash units. They look cheap & mass produced but I am told the new one is American made while Sandens are Japanese made.

Attachments

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,399 Posts
You do know that 1968's had optional "factory" in-dash AC, right? So a retrofit of such would simply make it appear as if your car originally came with factory AC and not change the "original character" of your car in any appreciable way that I can think of. Just saying.
I never personally cared for underdash AC. I always thought it looked like a nonstandard hack. Plus it can't defog the windshield. To each his own though. And of course owners of 1966 and older car have no choice.

I swapped factory AC into my '67 and found it a lot easier than I thought. Just a matter of changing parts really.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree with Gypsy, a ‘67-‘68 with an under dash AC would stand out in a somewhat weird way. Old Air has a pretty sweet setup I used in my 68. The evaporator box is small enough it fits nicely under the glove box and exits out the existing heater motor hole with no cutting needed. They offer a version with reproduction chrome vents and control knobs that look and feel as close to the originals as you can get. They fit in the stock location and most people will never know it’s not an original set up. The install is pretty straightforward, i did it in about a weekend.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You do know that 1968's had optional "factory" in-dash AC, right? So a retrofit of such would simply make it appear as if your car originally came with factory AC and not change the "original character" of your car in any appreciable way that I can think of. Just saying.
I never personally cared for underdash AC. I always thought it looked like a nonstandard hack. Plus it can't defog the windshield. To each his own though. And of course owners of 1966 and older car have no choice.

I swapped factory AC into my '67 and found it a lot easier than I thought. Just a matter of changing parts really.
I am aware and while I appreciate the encouragement to go the extra mile I'm more into driving it this year now that the big restoration work is done & I just want to drive in the black vinyl this summer without cooking! Since this one had Ford installed under dash via Sears for at least 45 years so I have all the wiring, mounting and holes figured out it's less of a hack as it was done right. If there was a nicer unit like that Fairlane item in it would look retro cool-ish. But I'm probably asking for trouble and high expense putting any R-12 evap from the 60's in with a modern Sanden 134a system. Since I have worked on auto A/C professionally in the long ago past and I know a few things.....I am tempted to try it :)

The recently restored heat/defrost vent with a new aluminum heater core worked really well keeping the front window fog free in her first all out heavy rain soaked ride. Can't say that for the side & rear windows though :) Prior to the dash resto you were lucky to get any air through the dash vents.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,399 Posts
Heat and the ability of AC to defog glass are hardly the same thing. But anyway, if you are set on using an underdash setup then by all means, do it and enjoy.

·
Registered
858 Posts
You shouldn't have any trouble using the Sanden compressor with a vintage under dash unit, same with 134a. Bigger condenser is usually the biggest issue with 134a as it is less efficient and will be a little warmer at stoplights and such. Fittings and connections should not be an issue...

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
will be a little warmer at stoplights and such. Fittings and connections should not be an issue...
[/QUOTE]

I can say the same thing about my 2016 Audi at stoplights....somehow though those Honda people figured out how to beat that A/C issue though! I’ll miss my old Honda after it’s sold, as unexciting as that thing is. But it paid for the Mustang ? before it even got put up for sale!

If evap core is larger than the newer ones that might also make filling the system up with the right amount of 134a and PAG oil problematic. Will have to do some homework on this. At least I have access to my own A/C recovery and filling station machine at work. It costs me only about 45$ to vacuum out and refill a normal A/C car. Having the most understanding shop do it probably 2 or 3 times the cost per try.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
If you are determined to use an under dash unit, that one you linked looks like a nice unit. Full setup with new parts for $800 is not bad. You could always go full 1968 vintage in dash later if you choose.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heat and the ability of AC to defog glass are hardly the same thing. But anyway, if you are set on using an underdash setup then by all means, do it and enjoy.
Agreed! no comparison between heat only and A/C defrost. But super heated air is a bit dry. Plus a hot window usually changes the the dew point enough to help clear it. It did the trick on Sunday! Couldn’t see well out my sides and hardly through the back. I can appreciate why folks like my grandparents avoided any kind of night or rainy driving if they could avoid it in these old cars!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts